• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now why would someone be selling a NM/NM+ ASM 1 raw?

13 posts in this topic

Oops, now I remember why that person's name seemed so familiar. He was selling two raw, unrestored NM copies of Amazing Fantasy 15 on eBay last week with tiny far away-scans. (If you check some of his old purchases by the way I believe he bought an Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 5.5 RESTORED on eBay a few months ago.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I might be mistaken but hasn't that person been mentioned on these boards before? Also, the private auction format doesn't instill much confidence...

My question was meant to be one of those fancy rhetorical type questions.

Everyone knows why someone would try to sell a $50,000+ book raw.

Fraud! gossip.gif

private auction - 5 day auction - dealer says it should be in a safe - NM+ = 9.4+, and it's raw!!!! that just about says it all. sometimes i think that the poor grammar is a ruse so that the potential buyer could "understand" how they might be selling this treasure way cheap. devil.gif

if i was a betting man, i'd say RESTORED. but one never knows......wish we could find out who bought the 2 AF #15's to see that outcome.......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Someone can report this because he wants the person to cover the extra paypal fee.

i often see UK sellers put this down. is it OK for out-of-US sellers to do this but not US sellers?

by the way, is the crappy spelling/punctuation, etc. you always see in scam auctions for a reason? to divert your attention or something?

To make people think they don't know anything about comics. It usually starts with "I found this in grandpa's attic..".

"... next to a stick of butter..." foreheadslap.gif

To make people think they don't know anything about comics. It usually starts with "I found this in grandpa's attic..".

A few years back I was silly enough to buy a comic that was described as above, found in their attic. And of course, "it was stored there for over 20 years!"... anyways... the book turned out to be fair at best... live and learn I guess. foreheadslap.gif There wasn't even a pic of the comic included in the auction...

I'm thinking there maybe a new grading system soon... M, NM+, NM, NM-, found in attic, VF+...

I'm thinking there maybe a new grading system soon... M, NM+, NM, NM-, found in attic, VF+...

"found in attic" would definitely be lower on that scale.

The "Ebay Grading Scale / Translator" is as follows...

Mint: Does not exist, this is a figment of your imagination... see VF-.

NM+: Rarely seen, nit-picky collectors might sell their own books... once in a while.

NM: Did it come out last month? Then it MIGHT be NM.

NM-: "I don't see anything wrong with this book! It's PERFECT!"

VF/NM: "It's a modern and I don't want to take the time to actually grade it."

VF+: aka, a bronze age comic in "perfect" condition

VF: "I bought it as NM from a major dealer, so it MUST be true near mint."

VF-: "I can't believe how perfect this book is... CGC it!"

FN: The cover is still mostly attached.

EX: Excellent condition, aka, "I usually sell beanie babies."

VG: VG. (Ebay sellers generally get this one right!)

GD: Staples don't actually touch more than three or four of the pages.

FIA: "Found In Attic", aka "This is a reprint that I ripped the cover off."

FR: Fair, should be free, but you'll still pay for shipping.

PR: "I'm pretty sure that 1/2 arm belongs to Spider-man, but no guarantees."