• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics General's Movie Subforum

619 posts in this topic

Rhodey looked like Carl Weathers in his first appearance. I just don't see it in Cheadle. (shrug)

I still think Michael Jai White would've been a lot cooler in that role.

+ A LOT.

Michael Jai White needs more roles in film. I think he'd be great for Black Panther. He's got the right attitude, build and can probably put across the intelligence.

I agree. Though it would've been cool if the Wesley Snipes Black Panther film had actually come to fruition back in the day.

I am immensely happy that Ben Affleck is back on top. He has proven his talent

:eek:

:baiting:

Gigli, FTW.

I'm not an Afflect fan, but "The Town" buys him a few stinkers. That movie was great.

Agreed...that film reminded me that Affleck could act and direct without being self-indulgent. Argo was equally good in that respect - subtle, low-key direction with a performance that was light years from a star turn.

All indications are that Affleck is a regular kind of guy, and is quite bright and talented (although I still don't rate him highly as an actor). There was a bit of backlash when he first started breaking big because he was a good looking lead man, but also capable of writing an Oscar winning -script. You can just imagine how that caused the petty Tinseltown types to try to slap him down, and the whole Bennifer thing, plus "Gigli", gave them that opportunity.

It'd be interesting to see him and Damon team up again, both onscreen and also in writing a -script, with Affleck directing.

Best Picture nominees this year:

Amour haven't seen it

Argo One of my top two picks. I am immensely happy that Ben Affleck is back on top. He has proven his talent with these last three films, and Good Will Hunting is due some historical revision.

Beasts of the Southern Wild haven't seen it. A close friend didn't like it and I could see his reasoning. (unnecessary use of racial stereotypes and Katrina social commentary)

Django Unchained Won't see it.

Les Misérables Won't see it.

Life of Pi Enjoyed it, but the kind of theology you find in an in-flight magazine.

Lincoln Loved it. One of my two top picks.

Silver Linings Playbook haven't seen it, want to. Wouldn't it be a coup for this pic to win?

Zero Dark Thirty haven't seen it, want to. Bigelow should take her first Oscar and run. Hurt Locker wasn't best pic.

As much as I loved Argo, Lincoln gets my vote.

My take:

Amour

Pretty boring actually, but Trentignant and Emmanuelle Riva both give excellent performances. Seen better things from Michael Haneke.

Argo

Excellent movie. Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but very well-done and extremely entertaining. Not a splendid film but a darn good movie, for sure.

Beasts Of The Southern Wild

Amazing film! Easily one of the best this year!

Django Unchained

meh. Good acting all around, but the direction is more of the same Tarantino fare. Not quite as good as Inglourious Basterds, and I didn't even like that one very much. :P

Les Misérables

Seeing it next Thursday when it opens here! Can't wait!!!

Life of Pi

Not bad overall and very impressive from a technical standpoint, but the ugly beast of boredom made its appearance here as well.

Lincoln

And here as well. Great acting, though. Probably DDL's less hammy performance in years.

Silver Linings Playbook

Haven't seen it yet but I probably will this weekend.

Zero Dark Thirty

Hasn't opened here yet.

My personal winner so far is either Beasts or Argo. But I'm really hoping Les Mis changes that!

Argo will probably be the eventual winner.

Urban sure is proving a great actor.

I agree, going with a younger actor with leading man chops might have been wiser.

On my movie radar right now:

Midnight in Paris

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. If only for an under 30 Katherine Ross.

Ben Kingsly is a terrific actor and he's not Asian but interestingly enough, he played Gandhi and now the Mandarin.

Maybe they're going for a Mongolian look. lol That's what he looks like in the preview.

Ben Kingsly is a terrific actor and he's not Asian but interestingly enough, he played Gandhi and now the Mandarin.

Maybe they're going for a Mongolian look. lol That's what he looks like in the preview.

I like him as an actor, but I'm not a fan of colorblind casting.