• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED! STERANKO oddities STERANKO rarities STERANKO

23 posts in this topic

I have even more wonderful Steranko oddities and rarities from the archive to list today, including a few things that I am sure have never appeared here on the Boards before.

:takeit: trumps PMs. Drekkers welcome, Probies not. Shipping is $3.00 for Media Mail (to U.S. addresses) for any number of items. Shipping to Canada for $6 (unless a bunch of stuff is purchased, may have to add a couple bucks). Minimum order for overseas buyers is $30. Shipping price quoted for overseas buyers after purchase. Will charge exact USPS shipping, no extra handling charges. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

UNSEEN SHADOWS (Supergraphics, 1978)

This scarce book details Steranko's multi-year odyssey to illustrate the 27 different painted covers that he created for the Shadow paperback series between 1975 and 1978. Completely written, designed, illustrated and published by Steranko in 1978. This is a seldom seen gem, the first copy that I've seen listed on the Boards.

Unseen Shadows contains 50 pages of pencilled prelims for each cover, some paintings have multiple prelims. Not reprinted in any other volume! A beautiful book for a fan of Steranko's amazing Shadow paintings. Full color covers with b&w interiors. Cardstock cover with tanning on inside of cover (typical of this book due to paper quality). Pages are not tanned at all. Wear at top and bottom of spine (a bit worn through at base of spine), bit of wear on corners of cover. Otherwise VF. Killer book!

$80 SOLD!

FRONT COVER

img705.jpg

BACK COVER

img706.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

Here are three issues of Byron Preiss' groundbreaking Fiction Illustrated digest series, all in FVF condition. All are flat, no tears, no writing. These were printed on very cheap newsprint in digest-size... I've never seen white-paged examples of them. These particular copies have very straight spine and could be unread. Issue #3 is the classic graphic novel, RED TIDE by Steranko.

$35 for all three books SOLD!

Fiction Illustrated #1

SCHLOMO RAVEN PUBLIC DETECTIVE by Tom Sutton, ~100 pages

FVF condition, cream pages (I have yet to see an off-white paged copy of this book)

img707.jpg

img708.jpg

Fiction Illustrated #2, Byron Preiss 1976

STARFAWN by Stephen Fabian, ~100 pages

FVF condition, cream-tan pages (I have yet to see an off-white paged copy of this book)

img709.jpg

img710.jpg

Fiction Illustrated #3, Byron Preiss 1976

CHANDLER: RED TIDE by Jim Steranko, 127 pages

FVF (slightly misbound at bottom of spine, not bumped) cream-tan pages

This is the classic work by Jim Steranko that will be reprinted by Dark Horse in 2012. Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. Hard to find! The reprint to be released (at some point by Dark Horse) will be computer colored. This is the first printing with original coloring.

img711.jpg

img712.jpg

CHANDLER: RED TIDE by Jim Steranko, 127 pages, FULL SIZE 8.5 x 11"

Pyramid Books 1976

This is the classic, magnum-opus work by Jim Steranko, CHANDLER : RED TIDE that was published in 1976 which was written, pencilled, inked and colored by Jim Steranko. Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. There were two versions of this book, one a digest size, published by Byron Preiss on lesser-quality paper, and this one, the scarce, special-order-only full size 8.5 x 11" that was printed on much higher-quality paper. This is the much harder to find version. Chandler : Red Tide is the ultimate published work by Steranko in its intended full-size with bold colors.

VF condition with off-white pages, one of the best interiors I've seen on this book. No writing and no tears. Very minor wear on covers and excellent pages. Book appears to be unread based on flat, firm spine. Really, really tough to find in this condition.

$90 REDUCED to $79 SOLD

img715.jpg

img716.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

Here are three issues of Byron Preiss' groundbreaking Fiction Illustrated digest series, all in FVF condition. All are flat, no tears, no writing. These were printed on very cheap newsprint in digest-size... I've never seen white-paged examples of them. These particular copies have very straight spine and could be unread. Issue #3 is the classic graphic novel, RED TIDE by Steranko.

$35 for all three books

Fiction Illustrated #1

SCHLOMO RAVEN PUBLIC DETECTIVE by Tom Sutton, ~100 pages

FVF condition, cream pages (I have yet to see an off-white paged copy of this book)

img707.jpg

img708.jpg

Fiction Illustrated #2, Byron Preiss 1976

STARFAWN by Stephen Fabian, ~100 pages

FVF condition, cream-tan pages (I have yet to see an off-white paged copy of this book)

img709.jpg

img710.jpg

FVF (slightly misbound at bottom of spine, not bumped) cream-tan pages

This is the classic work by Jim Steranko that will be reprinted by Dark Horse in 2012. Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. Hard to find! The reprint to be released (at some point by Dark Horse) will be computer colored. This is the first printing with original coloring.

img711.jpg

img712.jpg

:takeit: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Steranko did two covers for the Marvel Comics index series by George Olshevsky in 1979 (published by Marvel). The Fantastic Four cover that Steranko produced for this series has never been reproduced in full size anywhere else. Most fans don't even know this cover exists due to scarcity. In addition, it's an amazingly detailed resource for information about the Fantastic Four series. Book is 8.5" x 11" and is in fine condition. Some rubs and light creases on cover. Book is flat, glossy and cover image in in excellent condition with bright colors.

$18 SOLD!

img678.jpg

img679.jpg

Steranko did two covers for the Marvel Comics index series by George Olshevsky in 1979 (published by Marvel). The Fantastic Four cover that Steranko produced for this series has never been reproduced in full size anywhere else. Most fans don't even know this cover exists due to scarcity. In addition, it's an amazingly detailed resource for information about the Fantastic Four series. Book is 8.5" x 11" and is in fine condition. Some rubs and light creases on cover. Book is flat, glossy and cover image in in excellent condition with bright colors.

$18

img678.jpg

img679.jpg

:takeit:

Here's the Steranko Cap issue:

The Captain America issue is very scarce and features the first printing of what is the best image of Captain America that Steranko ever produced, in glorious wraparound color! 8.5 x 11" in size! That makes the wraparound cover 8.5" x 22" ! The largest cover that Steranko ever did. Interior is an amazing index resource of Tales of Suspense, Golden Age, Silver and Bronze Captain America.

This copy is in VF+ condition with only a bit of rubbing on front and back cover. This is beautiful copy of a seldom seen book. Pages are bright white, no creases, no tears. Book is flat, glossy and has super color as you can see in the photos. Killer Cap image by Steranko! If you are looking for a top example of this scarce book, this is it.

$60 REDUCED to $49

img625.jpg

img626.jpg

Since I listed the Steranko FF and Captain America issues, why not list what might be Frank Miller's best Daredevil cover? Most Miller fans don't even know it exists. This is the 1982 Daredevil Marvel Comics Index written by George Olvshevsky (published by Marvel) that features a WRAPAROUND Frank Miller Daredevil/Elektra cover. Published in 1982, it's a 112 page index of Daredevil, The Black Panther, Shanna, Black Goliath, Human Fly and Dazzler. 8.5" x 11".

NM copy with bright white pages, bright cover colors and no creases or writing. Only very minor edge wear. If you were looking for a killer copy of this book, this is it.

$25 REDUCED to $19

img568.jpg

img569.jpg

COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE #28

One of the finest issues of Comic Book Marketplace produced, the issue devoted to Jim Steranko. Printed in 1995 and designed and edited by Steranko himself, this is a great resource for the Steranko fan. And it features an article by someone that I'm pretty familiar with (although a younger version!). 80 pages, color and b&w interiors. The Steranko section takes up pages 37 through 71. Includes a Steranko checklist, rare photos and artwork. Also includes a multi-page article on The Shadow. NM- condition with a few small spine creases. Hard issue to find these days.

$25 SOLD

img703.jpg

img704.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

Here is an unusual and scarce item... SYZYGY #2, a fanzine published by Ron Baker in 1975 that features the first printing of Steranko's unused cover for "At The Stroke Of Midnight" that was intended for Tower of Shadows #1, but deemed by Stan to be too edgy. There were only 510 copies of this fanzine printed and each was numbered in ink on the first interior page, this one being #234/510.

Book is in VF condition, flat, no writing, no tears, with wear at top and bottom front corners. Bright white and red front and back covers.

$25 REDUCED to $19

img701.jpg

img702.jpg

Next up is the auto-biographical Graphic Prince of Darkness that Steranko designed and produced in 1997. This book is full of art that had never been released before or since including:

Pencils to a never published story in the "Stroke of Midnight"-style that was intended for Marvel

Original cover to Tower of Shadows #1 that was never published

Storyboards for Coppola's Dracula

and many more... and a ton of unbelievable and outrageous biographical material. This is a must-own for any Steranko fan.

I have three two NM and unread copies of this long out-of-print book. 32 pages, comic-book size.

$25 each - 1 REMAINING

img717.jpg

img718.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3547-1.jpg

Since Jimbo snapped up the Fiction Illustrated set quickly.... I'll list another copy of the digest version of Chandler: Red Tide:

FVF cream pages

$25 REDUCED to $19

img713.jpg

img714.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

I met Steranko at one of the first cons I ever attended, and he was signing stacks of the digest-size version of Chandler. He had some hot booth babe dressed in a silver jumpsuit who told me the digests were printed mainly as autograph fodder. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but I wasn't about to argue with her...

COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE #28

One of the finest issues of Comic Book Marketplace produced, the issue devoted to Jim Steranko. Printed in 1995 and designed and edited by Steranko himself, this is a great resource for the Steranko fan. And it features an article by someone that I'm pretty familiar with (although a younger version!). 80 pages, color and b&w interiors. The Steranko section takes up pages 37 through 71. Includes a Steranko checklist, rare photos and artwork. Also includes a multi-page article on The Shadow. NM- condition with a few small spine creases. Hard issue to find these days.

$25

img703.jpg

img704.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

:takeit:

Next up is the auto-biographical Graphic Prince of Darkness that Steranko designed and produced in 1997. This book is full of art that had never been released before or since including:

Pencils to a never published story in the "Stroke of Midnight"-style that was intended for Marvel

Original cover to Tower of Shadows #1 that was never published

Storyboards for Coppola's Dracula

and many more... and a ton of unbelievable and outrageous biographical material. This is a must-own for any Steranko fan.

I have three two NM and unread copies of this long out-of-print book. 32 pages, comic-book size.

$25 each - 1 SOLD and 2 REMAINING

img717.jpg

img718.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3547-1.jpg

:takeit: for both of the 2 remaining copies.

Thanks Paul, you're making a friend of mine very happy. :)

Thanks, Podboy and Crassus!

Here's an update:

Unseen Shadows - SOLD

Fiction Illustrated #1-3 set - SOLD

Fantastic Four index with Steranko cover - SOLD

Captain America index with wraparound Steranko cover - $60 still available

Daredevil index with wraparound Frank Miller cover - $25 still available

Full size Chandler : Red Tide graphic novel - $90 still available

Syzygy #2 - $25 still available

Digest size Chandler : Red Tide graphic novel - $25 still available

Comic Book Marketplace #28 - SOLD

Steranko : Graphic Prince of Darkness - all three copies SOLD