• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hostility between Golden Age collectors and Modern collectors...

87 posts in this topic

I only collect two things: GA and modern books. Meaning I swim in both tanks and you're wrong. I find that it's the BA collectors who tend to be most critical of moderns.

Discuss.

:popcorn:

That's because bronze age books were/are much better than today's stuff.

Apart from DC - that's always been rubbish.

Lets just be honest.

Some blokes are just royally pizzed that TWD #1 is worth more than some crusty piece of that they've had for 50 years. :devil:

The other big factor is the fact you NEVER see any of us on the other boards critising their buys. rantrant

We buy,we read.

Some of us flip.

Some of us keep.

We all get burned at least once. :cry:

But I can't help thinking that at least some of the constant criticts are secretly wishing they has bought 10 TWD #1 back in the day and were banking that $20,000 right now. lol

Its our choice to speculate. We are adults and all of us are hopefully using 'spare' cash - I hope to god no-one is not paying their mortgage to buy Revival #3 ,4th print...lol.

Personally,I only collect #1's and try to flip within 6 - 12 months.

CGC aren't helping by being slow.

Perhaps all the GA and SA collectors could stop sending in their old stuff for a bit?

:jokealert:

Well the last bit was anyway.

Lets us buy what we want - we are the only ones going to get burnt if things go south. :foryou:

I only collect two things: GA and modern books. Meaning I swim in both tanks and you're wrong. I find that it's the BA collectors who tend to be most critical of moderns.

Discuss.

I like the modern and golden ages the best as well. I actually believe that these ages have more in common with each other than they do with the silver, bronze or copper ages. The comics code stifled the spirit of artistic independence of the pre-code books and comics did not emerge from the shadow of the code until the modern age. During the code era superheroes came to define comics, but now corporate powerhouses try to resuscitate their cash cow heroes while smaller publishers succeed by telling great stories with great art.

Don’t get me wrong, there is in every age and there are great books of all ages. I enjoy silver age superheroes and bronze horror but for the dualistic art form that is comic books you can’t beat the golden and modern ages.

Discuss.

Sturgeon's law applies equally across all ages.

Discuss.

Sturgeon's law applies equally across all ages.

Theodore :applause:

I think ever generation of fans thinks the comics they like is the pinnacle of the medium at its best and everything after is a perversion of the medium in which they grew up in. It's pretty natural. And the most recent or most popular form of the medium is going to be the one who gets the brunt of it. Considered it a right of passage. Best to ignore the old farts and move on. (thumbs u

What about the 90's? That stuff was my generation's comics and it was, in large part, garbage. lol

I think ever generation of fans thinks the comics they like is the pinnacle of the medium at its best and everything after is a perversion of the medium in which they grew up in. It's pretty natural. And the most recent or most popular form of the medium is going to be the one who gets the brunt of it. Considered it a right of passage. Best to ignore the old farts and move on. (thumbs u

What about the 90's? That stuff was my generation's comics and it was, in large part, garbage. lol

Same here. I was 10 in 1990. Should be my favorite era by that logic but for the most part I skip it.

Everything after the Bronze age is a modern to me.

So if I were to hate moderns every week the source of my hatred would continue to grow.

This is how super villains are born.

Off - topic,sorry,but it would be awesome if some more modern collector guys played around in the Pay-It-Forward thread.

Some great stuff changes hands and its starting to die off a bit. :cry: :cry:

I think a longshot TPB collection is up for grabs - leave you to it guys - cheers! (thumbs u

It's easy to hate something you don't understand.

I dislike moderns precisely because I do understand them.

As a result, I almost always stay out of the modern forum. For me, it's simply is a matter of what do I enjoy the most, buying and reading new comics, or comics that are 30, 40, 50, etc years old? The answer for me is the latter.

There are stories of back in the early 90's when the original Valiant's were super hot, of dealers trading Silver Age keys to get some of those issues to sell...

In hindsight, that might sour some people on the long term value of moderns.

I did the opposite, I traded hot Valiants for high grade SA :banana:

If you collect comic books, whether that's Golden Age, Silver Age, Modern Age, Indy, Manga or Darkhawk; you're cool in my book. There's not enough of us comic collectors out there to where we can use our personal interests to dictate what is worth collecting and what is not.