• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MIscuts

8 posts in this topic

I was wondering how CGC would handle a book that was miscut? I'm looking into buying a book I've been wanting for a while, and have never heard of one being miscut, until I saw one up for sale recently. I know that if it was a well recorded printing error, then CGC wouldn't hold a bad grade on it. But what if it was a one in a million error?

I was wondering how CGC would handle a book that was miscut? I'm looking into buying a book I've been wanting for a while, and have never heard of one being miscut, until I saw one up for sale recently. I know that if it was a well recorded printing error, then CGC wouldn't hold a bad grade on it. But what if it was a one in a million error?

Are you talking about a miswrap, where some of the back cover is on the front cover? If so, CGC considers this a production issue and does not mark against it.

Are you talking about a miswrap, where some of the back cover is on the front cover? If so, CGC considers this a production issue and does not mark against it.

Some books are, in fact, miscut. They have a trapezoidal, instead of rectangular shape. CGC will not slab the most severe examples of this defect, because they don't fit into the holders. I had a TOS 65 that was quite trapezoidal and also a 12 Thor. Don't know if that is what the OP was referring to, but it did happen from time to time.

Some books are, in fact, miscut. They have a trapezoidal, instead of rectangular shape. CGC will not slab the most severe examples of this defect, because they don't fit into the holders. I had a TOS 65 that was quite trapezoidal and also a 12 Thor. Don't know if that is what the OP was referring to, but it did happen from time to time.

Yes! This is what I mean! I didn't know any other way of wording it, and this is a perfect example of what I meant! So will CGC lower the grading/did CGC grade your books lower than they would have if it was perfectly cut?

I am also curious to know if CGC would grade against this. I have several books that are pretty off due to an obvious factory miscut.

Here is one of the more extreme examples

That's not extreme.

Here's a five-sided book I own.

5ff02c76.jpg

I am also curious to know if CGC would grade against this. I have several books that are pretty off due to an obvious factory miscut.

Here is one of the more extreme examples

Dick Tracy 31

Dick Tracy 31 back

As Blow up the Moon says - not extreme in the least. I don't think that level miscut (I have also heard it called justification) would affect the CGC grade even in a high grade.