• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's your one way ticket to midnight - The official Heavy Metal thread!

72 posts in this topic

December 1981. Cover by Chris Stein.

Aside from the Corben covers and a few random issues, this is where my run stops for now.

130662.jpg.1313d7578fb42a3ab48162440b02a1e6.jpg

Great run Dice, its nice to see some magazine love on the boards. Heavy Metal is definitely under the radar right now but it has some great art and was/is hugely influential. The modern book Saga seem like a direct descendant of some of the trippy sci-fi stories. I have a box of high grade heavy metal sitting around so if you want to send me your list I may be able to track down some nice copies.

Great run Dice, its nice to see some magazine love on the boards. Heavy Metal is definitely under the radar right now but it has some great art and was/is hugely influential. The modern book Saga seem like a direct descendant of some of the trippy sci-fi stories. I have a box of high grade heavy metal sitting around so if you want to send me your list I may be able to track down some nice copies.

Oh joy! :whee:

When did the Ranxerox stories begin, Dice?

July 1983, and he's on the cover.

My run doesn't go that high.

...yet :eek:

When did the Ranxerox stories begin, Dice?

July 1983, and he's on the cover.

My run doesn't go that high.

...yet :eek:

Those stories were too much for my twelve-year-old brain. There was something weird about the girl who ran around with Ranxerox...like she was jail-bait or something...

I also remember "Freakshow," by Bruce Jones and Berni Wrightson. That was a fun story.

Great books so far, Dice!

Very nice scans. When I gave up collecting comics back in '81 or so, the H.M. books were the ones I held onto. They were just to hard to sell back then. I have a near complete run from issue #1 onto somewhere near mid 1982 or so, with a few misc issues sprinkled in from the '90s. The conditions range from F to NM. I think issue #1 is strong NM- or so. I really got to dig them out of storage one day.

They're still hard to sell, aside from the first few issues. lol

I can't believe how popular this series was, yet how many people are clueless as to the incredible stories and artwork that's in these books. :applause:

Show them some of the Druuna issues. That'll get 'em interested ;)

I had a subscription to hm sometime in late 79 & 80.I didn't see you post any of the issues I had.Used some of the money I got from graduation to order it.Huge leap from Marvel & DC at the time and got me to liking Epic,which was carried in my local.

Had to keep mine hid at the time too.

KICK THREAD!

I've always seen less of #2 and 3, than #4 which seems to be pretty abundant, but that copy you have is beautiful!

I think I have a High Grade #2 around somewhere I can take a pic of...

You should try collecting all of the Metal Hurlant's next. lol

KICK THREAD!

I've always seen less of #2 and 3, than #4 which seems to be pretty abundant, but that copy you have is beautiful!

I think I have a High Grade #2 around somewhere I can take a pic of...

You should try collecting all of the Metal Hurlant's next. lol

I may pick up the first issue of Metal Hurlant at some point. (thumbs u

Those early covers bring back memories. I bought the first year or so of the title when they came out ( long since sold), and then sporadically through the 80s, early 90s depending on whose art was inside ( which I still have), though it's been years if not decades since I've looked through them, so I couldn't say offhand what issues I have or why i even liked them.

August 1981. Cover by Esteban Marato.

This is the infamous issue that caused my mom to throw all my Heavy Metals in the garbage.

The back cover is an illustration of a chrome rabbit having sex with a chrome turtle.

When mom saw it for the hundredth time and finally realized what it was she lost her mess on me. :ohnoez:

Good times. :cloud9:

And back cover on this too please :)