• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Contest: Sign Up Now! Prizes!

229 posts in this topic

Standings after book 7

etanick 31

ARK 23

Medium Lover 20

zuckuss2003 19

Point Five 18

wipple 15

Hado 14

John Grumbledook 14

thespazz 14

Mr. Lodge 13

Divad 12

Crimebuster 11

AJD 11

The Collector 10

comicdey 7

Anon512 5

There's no way to say this nice, so I'll just call bull.

Sorry, but I just checked the census and there's only one Archie 130, and guess what. It's a 6.0. Farmers Daughter. Same, only one on the census. ARK's good and he's only been getting 3 points on these.

I hope I'm wrong and everything is on the up and up.

Edit: I've read this a few times now and it sounds very petty, even to myself. However I'm going to leave it how it is. Sorry if I step on some toes.

geeshh...what is new, another contest and the recurring accusation of cheating. I have been participating on just about every contest for the past 3 years and this same issue surfaced just about every time.

Heck, one of the few times there was a contest and no one bring up the issue of potential cheating is my own contest a few months back

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5883864&fpart=1

since all guesses must be submitted before the books were graded and the contest took forever (almost 6 months) to run, there is no possibility of cheating. I got the best score there but no doubt having the books in hands gave me a much better advantage.

Ark finished runner up in that contest also by the way.

Is it ok for me to throw a blanket statement that only 12 people cared to play and the rest didn't want to play because they can't cheat? or worse they just can't stand me :roflmao:

p.s. skip to page 11 to see the results of my contest if you don't want to bore yourself of seeing how well you can guess on my 30 books.

p.s. Check book #17 in my contest, the Silver Surfer #1 with a piece missing also on the back cover. That flaw is also on the last 2 pages of the books also. I tried to sell it raw as a 5.5 and some people didn't agree but I included in the contest to see what CGG think. They gave it a 6.0 albeit I felt is a gift grade so for the Archie, I figured it can be a 6.0 or 6.5 and went with the lower guess. It is much easier to guess the grade if you have seen similar example(s).

I haven't seen examples of pieces out like that on higher graded comics and so any pieces out for me are automatic 4.0 or lower. No points for me that last round as i guessed 4.0

If the rest of the book looks high grade, then yep, the book can grade out higher than VG even with small pieces missing, especially if they're on the back cover. I guessed 5.5, as to me it seemed like one of those "just shy of Fine" type defects. (shrug)

Sorry, but I just checked the census and there's only one Archie 130, and guess what. It's a 6.0. Farmers Daughter. Same, only one on the census. ARK's good and he's only been getting 3 points on these.

Edit: I've read this a few times now and it sounds very petty, even to myself. However I'm going to leave it how it is. Sorry if I step on some toes.

I dunno, maybe I'm naive but I'd give folks the benefit of the doubt I guess. Seems like in all of these contests, there's a handful of people who ace every round, and couldn't possibly be using the census.

Two comments.

First, the Farmer's Daughter 3 isn't on the census as a #3 since CGC screwed up the label and put #1 on it. No one saw the label until after the time for guesses expired. So unless someone figured that out, there's no way they could cheat on that one.

That being said, I naively thought that the books I'm posting wouldn't have been put on the census yet. Obviously, CGC is getting much faster at putting books on the census. My fault for not checking before I started posting books. It's, of course, a problem since these are books that will have only a book or two on the census.

I dunno, maybe I'm naive but I'd give folks the benefit of the doubt I guess. Seems like in all of these contests, there's a handful of people who ace every round, and couldn't possibly be using the census.

I agree with both points, Jon :)

But, for the conspiracy theorists, the last two books will be ones that have high enough census populations that even if they're looked up they won't be obvious.

Like I said I know it sounded petty, but I did think there was a funny smell. Hanging around here on the PGM thread you see people with lots of grading experience guessing high or low, and that's on books you're not grading through a slab, with access to page quality and close ups. My apologies if you can actually grade spot on 5-7, and I have no problem with you at all etanick. :shrug: guess I shouldn't have said anything.