• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I feel a bit uncharitable saying this, as ES has participated in the boards and been so friendly and generous with his time. But as this is a public forum, I'm going to soldier on...

I finally got to read the first two issues, and while there are things about them I like, being honest I'm not sure I would have pursued the series further without the stylish covers and the general buzz around the title. It's read to me as a pretty slow start, and perhaps more critically, I don't yet feel emotionally invested in the characters.

That said, I have a fresh copy of #3 still waiting to be read, so I do look forward to seeing where the storyline is going. I can appreciate that it does take a few issues for a title to set up all the chess pieces on the board (Thief of Thieves comes to mind, and it's among my favorites).

Thoughts?

I'm with you on that one... still plenty of time to let things set themselves up. However, I love the style and immersiveness of the comic. I think there's plenty of room to further break some of those barriers down.

I feel a bit uncharitable saying this, as ES has participated in the boards and been so friendly and generous with his time. But as this is a public forum, I'm going to soldier on...

I finally got to read the first two issues, and while there are things about them I like, being honest I'm not sure I would have pursued the series further without the stylish covers and the general buzz around the title. It's read to me as a pretty slow start, and perhaps more critically, I don't yet feel emotionally invested in the characters.

That said, I have a fresh copy of #3 still waiting to be read, so I do look forward to seeing where the storyline is going. I can appreciate that it does take a few issues for a title to set up all the chess pieces on the board (Thief of Thieves comes to mind, and it's among my favorites).

Thoughts?

Same as you mate, as a matter of fact, slightly underwhelmed with 1 and 2, but 3 just blew me away!!

Thoughts?

This is exactly it. Issue 3 brings things together a bit and you can start to see where the story is going.

I recently got issues 1-3 of them in a mystery box and a reprint of #2 I believe. So far I am not liking them. So I am thinking I either need to do 1 of 2 things, give them a little more time or just dump the lot of them.

give it time but then again dont force yourself to like it. Though are you reading the in comic articles? Because they do a to add to the back story.

I have the same problem with Peter Panzerfaust, I seriously cannot get into that comic for the life of me. I cant stand the crappy art style and disjointed story. I am a big WW2 nut so damn was I disappointed.

I recently got issues 1-3 of them in a mystery box and a reprint of #2 I believe. So far I am not liking them. So I am thinking I either need to do 1 of 2 things, give them a little more time or just dump the lot of them.

give it time but then again dont force yourself to like it. Though are you reading the in comic articles? Because they do a to add to the back story.

I have the same problem with Peter Panzerfaust, I seriously cannot get into that comic for the life of me. I cant stand the crappy art style and disjointed story. I am a big WW2 nut so damn was I disappointed.

I have not read any of the comic articles, thanks for the info. I am also a big WW2 fan and I have not tried any of the Peter Panzerfaust stuff.

Nowhere Men has a good framework and backstory. Is it worthy of being a '$75 for three issue raw' series yet? Probably not. There is definitely a lot of thought put into the story, and -as always - the first arc will be the best indicator as to if this is another great (small 'g') title.

I have a question - are we readers being spoiled by all the quality books put out by Image now? Speculation aside. There are a few quality books that I see barely discussed anywhere on the boards (e.g. Comeback - and no horse in that race; I only have 1 issue each of 1-3)

Edited by Hekla

Nowhere Men has a good framework and backstory. Is it worthy of being a '$75 for three issue raw' series yet? Probably not. There is definitely a lot of thought put into the story, and -as always - the first arc will be the best indicator as to if this is another great (small 'g') title.

I have a question - are we readers being spoiled by all the quality books put out by Image now? Speculation aside. There are a few quality books that I see barely discussed anywhere on the boards (e.g. Comeback - and no horse in that race; I only have 1 issue each of 1-3)

I think this comic has amazing backstory, the in comic articles with "fake" interviews and awesome movie posters.

The framework is amazing because it sets up many stories. E.S can always go baxk and explore the past more if needed, he can continue the espionage, the disease arc, why the ***** are split and what not.

The price tag is up to you. Are you willing to pay $75? If you think it is and are still not sure, you can always pirate it and see for yourself. I'm pretty sure pirating the comic is a valid choice since its sold out and has a hefty price tag.

All up to you.

Every comic has a group of people who

thought it was boring

didn't like the art

hated the cover

didn't like the writing

thought it was confusing

didn't understand it

passed

thought it was meh

said i'll grab it from $ boxes later on

will be surprised if it lasts a full year