• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I don't see anywhere where the CBLDF set any limits, so it's highly conceivable for a small number of people to buy out the entire run at the show. Someone could theoretically buy all 500 copies for $5K. Believe it or not, that's a pittance for some of the wheeler-dealers here and they'd kill for an opportunity to corner the market on an exclusive like this.

I don't want to get involved in this, but what you're saying just isn't true - the CBLDF aren't stupid; they create these exclusives to draw people to their booth (and hopefully sell them on a CBLDF membership as well), and they're not going to let some big shot dealer walk up to their booth and buy out the entire print run.

Just because they haven't posted a cap on their site doesn't mean there won't be one at the show - I've been a CBLDF supporter for years now, and I can guarantee you that there's been plenty of times where they've put restrictions on how many copies of a single item you could actually buy.

You're right, I don't know how CBLDF handles these things typically. However, I HAVE seen charity organizations sell these exclusives with one objective in mind: To sell out as quickly as possible. Even if that means selling to one, or a few, buyers.

As it is, they did just agree to sell 40% of the run to one buyer for 2X cover. Going forward, they should not only limit the number, but charge a lot more than $10 for a 500 print run exclusive (except to members). Same with Hero Initiative. If they see an SS witness, charge $20 a sig.

sometime it's best not to post your true feelings on a subject, and just let the whole thing fade away. Quite a few new people with some very strong opinions though. Almost like they'd been on the board before.

Edited by krighton

I don't see anywhere where the CBLDF set any limits, so it's highly conceivable for a small number of people to buy out the entire run at the show. Someone could theoretically buy all 500 copies for $5K. Believe it or not, that's a pittance for some of the wheeler-dealers here and they'd kill for an opportunity to corner the market on an exclusive like this.

I don't want to get involved in this, but what you're saying just isn't true - the CBLDF aren't stupid; they create these exclusives to draw people to their booth (and hopefully sell them on a CBLDF membership as well), and they're not going to let some big shot dealer walk up to their booth and buy out the entire print run.

Just because they haven't posted a cap on their site doesn't mean there won't be one at the show - I've been a CBLDF supporter for years now, and I can guarantee you that there's been plenty of times where they've put restrictions on how many copies of a single item you could actually buy.

You're right, I don't know how CBLDF handles these things typically. However, I HAVE seen charity organizations sell these exclusives with one objective in mind: To sell out as quickly as possible. Even if that means selling to one, or a few, buyers.

As it is, they did just agree to sell 40% of the run to one buyer for 2X cover. Going forward, they should not only limit the number, but charge a lot more than $10 for a 500 print run exclusive (except to members). Same with Hero Initiative. If they see an SS witness, charge $20 a sig.

Sure, but like I explained earlier, that's not how the CBLDF operates - for them exclusives are a means to an end and that end is selling memberships (which start at $25). The Hero Initiative already charges for SS books, btw.

like i said in my previous post if he stood in line like everyone else the day they came out then fine i have no problem with him flipping them for 300 bucks each if he wanted to. point is he went under the table and called in a favor to get 200 copies set aside before it is even released and anyone else has had a fair chance to get any.

a big plus for comic cons is too attend to get all the free and exclusive swag. some get it to keep and some to sell. i have no problem with that. the problem i have is going through the backdoor like this. it is unfair and underhanded. if i attend a con near me like sdcc or wizard world la, yeah i'm gonna get in line for things like that and i may even sell them for a profit, but if i show up and find out that some dude on the internet already got 200 and sold them before the doors even opened i'd be super pissed off, and you and everyone else here would too if you were going to that con.

If Menace had approached CBLDF before the show and bought 40% of the run (which is essentially what he's done) and then flipped them, I could see a beef. But this is a compromise where CBLDF gets an additional benefit and Menace is compensated for his time. And boardies get a shot. Is it perfect? I agree, no. However, as you note, con exclusives get flipped, one way or another. At least this way, CBLDF gets some of that secondary market value.

The other point, though, is that you and Jimmy have said that Menace should be providing this service for free (with Jimmy saying he would have done this for nothing). Fine sentiments, but actions speak louder than words, so please let us know which cons (SDCC? WWLA?) you'll be attending so we can provide our lists of charity exclusives to pick up. In the case of comic variants, make sure they're 9.8s and pack them well for shipping. Thanks!

first let me point out that i think menaces intentions were 100% good. but it was handled poorly, and he wasn't ready or even expecting the avalanche of requests and criticisms he got. i have no ill will towards him at all.

second my point to you would be this. why did any boardies here even deserve a shot in the first place to purchase this book before release? this wasn't a exclsuive for cgc members, this was a exclusive for protland con attendees.

i wish i was attending the sdcc but i was like number 47k in line last saturday. i might be going to the wizard world l.a. haven't decided yet. but you keep glossing over the fact that i said multiple times i would have no problem of menace flipping for a profit like everyone else when he actually attends the con and stands in line like everyone else to purchase, and i;m sure he will attend the con and get copies and probably even get copies for many members here, and i say good for him and anyone who gets some.

Ryan, I know how much you love Orange. I have a beater copy that I will do my best coloring job on and send it to you. I've been practicing with my niece. I stay inside the lines like a mofo.

Orange you goin' to hook a brother up (see what I did there)? lol

Fo' shorange

I'll play - I think they'll cap it at less than 100.

i think he had the 200 before he actually managed to resell them. There is a big backlash playing out behind the scenes to all this. If he gets capped at 100, it will be in response to pressure from others.

wow, quite the s-storm while i was out lol.

For the record, I didnt say where my opinion lay. I simply said, there was a backlash playing out behind the scenes (which clearly came to foreground while i was gone).

I was also pointing out that those saying the order would be limited, were correct ONLY if external pressure caused it (which also seems to have occurred)

I think all comic books sold and talked about in the modern section are being "flipped" in one way or another, and Menace didnt do anything different or "wrong".

Where the problems seemed to stem from, and what I alluded to in my other post, is that pre-selling a convention exclusive, OUTSIDE the convention, (even if the person picks them up at the convention) is fundamentally undermining it BEING a convention book. If Menace had bought 200, and made the offer on the thread with the books in hand, I doubt the backlash would have occurred.

I do think the service he provided, and the price he offered, were both fair and kind. Only the timing caused the big chaos.

I'll play - I think they'll cap it at less than 100.

i think he had the 200 before he actually managed to resell them. There is a big backlash playing out behind the scenes to all this. If he gets capped at 100, it will be in response to pressure from others.

wow, quite the s-storm while i was out lol.

For the record, I didnt say where my opinion lay. I simply said, there was a backlash playing out behind the scenes (which clearly came to foreground while i was gone).

I was also pointing out that those saying the order would be limited, were correct ONLY if external pressure caused it (which also seems to have occurred)

I think all comic books sold and talked about in the modern section are being "flipped" in one way or another, and Menace didnt do anything different or "wrong".

Where the problems seemed to stem from, and what I alluded to in my other post, is that pre-selling a convention exclusive, OUTSIDE the convention, (even if the person picks them up at the convention) is fundamentally undermining it BEING a convention book. If Menace had bought 200, and made the offer on the thread with the books in hand, I doubt the backlash would have occurred.

I do think the service he provided, and the price he offered, were both fair and kind. Only the timing caused the big chaos.

i agree with everything you said 110%. well said.

like i said in my previous post if he stood in line like everyone else the day they came out then fine i have no problem with him flipping them for 300 bucks each if he wanted to. point is he went under the table and called in a favor to get 200 copies set aside before it is even released and anyone else has had a fair chance to get any.

a big plus for comic cons is too attend to get all the free and exclusive swag. some get it to keep and some to sell. i have no problem with that. the problem i have is going through the backdoor like this. it is unfair and underhanded. if i attend a con near me like sdcc or wizard world la, yeah i'm gonna get in line for things like that and i may even sell them for a profit, but if i show up and find out that some dude on the internet already got 200 and sold them before the doors even opened i'd be super pissed off, and you and everyone else here would too if you were going to that con.

If Menace had approached CBLDF before the show and bought 40% of the run (which is essentially what he's done) and then flipped them, I could see a beef. But this is a compromise where CBLDF gets an additional benefit and Menace is compensated for his time. And boardies get a shot. Is it perfect? I agree, no. However, as you note, con exclusives get flipped, one way or another. At least this way, CBLDF gets some of that secondary market value.

The other point, though, is that you and Jimmy have said that Menace should be providing this service for free (with Jimmy saying he would have done this for nothing). Fine sentiments, but actions speak louder than words, so please let us know which cons (SDCC? WWLA?) you'll be attending so we can provide our lists of charity exclusives to pick up. In the case of comic variants, make sure they're 9.8s and pack them well for shipping. Thanks!

first let me point out that i think menaces intentions were 100% good. but it was handled poorly, and he wasn't ready or even expecting the avalanche of requests and criticisms he got. i have no ill will towards him at all.

second my point to you would be this. why did any boardies here even deserve a shot in the first place to purchase this book before release? this wasn't a exclsuive for cgc members, this was a exclusive for protland con attendees.

i wish i was attending the sdcc but i was like number 47k in line last saturday. i might be going to the wizard world l.a. haven't decided yet. but you keep glossing over the fact that i said multiple times i would have no problem of menace flipping for a profit like everyone else when he actually attends the con and stands in line like everyone else to purchase, and i;m sure he will attend the con and get copies and probably even get copies for many members here, and i say good for him and anyone who gets some.

I still havent figured out the point of your posts

Technically he would have been the first in line and all the purchases would have been his

what???????? lol. how do you figure that?

My favorite way to get con variants starts here...

Priceline.com

The CBLDF is not going to lose money and the repercussions of virtually all of the convention variants being pre sold on the CGC boards does nothing to help promote good will for the book, it's creators, CGC or the CBLDF, it has only created animosity for any and all, sadly including Jake.

Hopefully Jake isn't getting PMs behind the scenes to still buy X amount of copies for people, but after all that I have seen the past 2 days, I am willing to bet his mailbox is full...

For those who wanted to give freely to charity a many had stated or implied, you can always donate through the CBLDF website or purchase a membership.

Hopefully Jake isn't getting PMs behind the scenes to still buy X amount of copies for people, but after all that I have seen the past 2 days, I am willing to bet his mailbox is full...

If it's not, it will be shortly. I bet you just gave all the newcomers their "idea"

If it's not, it will be shortly. I bet you just gave all the newcomers their "idea"

if they can figure out how to sign up, the dont need THE jj to teach them how to PM. His point is valid.

What CBDLF should REALLY do, given that demand is so high, and so many people want to "donate" to them. Triple the price of the book at the origin, let them get all $30 dollars, and people who really want to buy the book to flip, will still buy it.