• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

In regard to the ComicsPro variant: Around 300 were given out. I think we printed 500 total, of which Nate, Jordie, Fonografiks, Image employees and myself got the rest. We did these as a thank you for ComicsPro retailers, just as we did the CBLDF to help support the Fund. We're only doing these kind of variants for issue one -- apart from new printings for later issues, we're not doing convention/store/retailer exclusives for the other issues. We're not doing Ghost Variants or Phantom Variants or variants for specific stores, ever.

Dang Can you hook me up with a job if Comics are the perks. I am in SF doing nada.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in on this hot topic tonight.

As long as Image does not attempt to compete with the Big Two in the variant department, I am happy!

At least retailers and charity benefit from these variants and it gives fans of a series extras to collect

Edited by wushugushu

It's been really nice reading what you have to say E.S and I have to say that you sound like the voice of reason, sometimes on these boards we can get a little over excited about things and it's nice to have another perspective - We value your input (thumbs u

Yeah, we're not using the print/poster art for anything else. Sorry. It was meant to be its own thing. We might include it in a hardcover some day or something, but it will never be a cover for anything.

In regard to the ComicsPro variant: Around 300 were given out. I think we printed 500 total, of which Nate, Jordie, Fonografiks, Image employees and myself got the rest. We did these as a thank you for ComicsPro retailers, just as we did the CBLDF to help support the Fund. We're only doing these kind of variants for issue one -- apart from new printings for later issues, we're not doing convention/store/retailer exclusives for the other issues. We're not doing Ghost Variants or Phantom Variants or variants for specific stores, ever.

Bottom line, if you don't like them, feel free to do the same thing I do when a book I collect has multiple covers: buy the one(s) you like. We're not doing these because we want YOU to buy multiple copies, we're doing them because we want as many copies as possible in the marketplace, because we want people to read our books.

The reason we do different covers for second and third printings is because new art makes them stand out on the racks instead of looking like something from however many weeks ago. The whole point is to catch people's eyes. We would honestly rather do one printing of everything and reach the market that way, but sometimes it takes a while for everyone to figure out how they're ordering something new. It's my sincere hope that we're not doing reprints of Nowhere Men past the first arc.

In the mean time, don't buy what you don't want/need. If that means this book, in any and all forms, so be it. I don't buy books I don't want, and I wouldn't ask any of you to do differently.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Any chance you guys will be selling your copies? I know I'm not alone when I say if buying variants at a premium I wouldn't mind in fact I'd even prefer buying from the creative team. I know there's also going to be haters that would frown on it and say it's encouraging "money printing" but that's just not how I feel. I like the comicspro but would probably never be interested in getting a thought bubble...anyway just thought I'd ask since it sounds like you all have about 40% of the print run.

Did we find out how many comic pro were printed.

It may have seemed that buying up those $125.00 Comicspro was idiotic, crazy, insane, stupid, ludicrous, etc....but right now there's only the sound of crickets when trying to find one, or the Black Beetle, or Sixth Gun. I think a lot more are being held or slabbed than in the past.

Edited by krighton

These aren't shop variants or mass produced books. No one has to buy them but strategically I think all were made with a purpose and I doubt it was to line the creators pockets.

The genesis was largely that I had a neat concept for an alternate cover style, and we found a practical reason for them to exist.

We could just as easily have rebranded with each new arc—which is something that I also pitched—but I hope folks would agree that they serve a better purpose helping out the CBLDF and rewarding the retail community.

I know there's also going to be haters that would frown on it and say it's encouraging "money printing" but that's just not how I feel.

Not a hater, J (and not sure if this was directed at me). Just keeping it real. If I had one of the hottest books out, I would want to put out THE variant to be had at a con (or as a retailer appreciation). As I have said before, ultimately it helps Image by keeping the 'buzz' going, encouraging new readers, and increasing sales. Sales = extended life of the book and other positive side effects.

(thumbs u

Fono and e.s. being part of this thread is so damn awesome. The sheer fact that input has an influence and voiced opinions get responses makes such a difference to me in a world of white noise... Also just knowing that something has happened or print runs, or color choices, or creative influences makes me feel like I'm part of the inside circle.

Anyway, my thanks to you guys for giving a damn. It's sooooo appreciated.

Yeah, we're not using the print/poster art for anything else. Sorry. It was meant to be its own thing. We might include it in a hardcover some day or something, but it will never be a cover for anything.

Bottom line, if you don't like them, feel free to do the same thing I do when a book I collect has multiple covers: buy the one(s) you like. We're not doing these because we want YOU to buy multiple copies, we're doing them because we want as many copies as possible in the marketplace, because we want people to read our books.

The reason we do different covers for second and third printings is because new art makes them stand out on the racks instead of looking like something from however many weeks ago. The whole point is to catch people's eyes. We would honestly rather do one printing of everything and reach the market that way, but sometimes it takes a while for everyone to figure out how they're ordering something new. It's my sincere hope that we're not doing reprints of Nowhere Men past the first arc.

In the mean time, don't buy what you don't want/need. If that means this book, in any and all forms, so be it. I don't buy books I don't want, and I wouldn't ask any of you to do differently.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Will you have any available at ECCC? I would be interested in picking up 1 copy!

I know there's also going to be haters that would frown on it and say it's encouraging "money printing" but that's just not how I feel.

Not a hater, J (and not sure if this was directed at me). Just keeping it real. If I had one of the hottest books out, I would want to put out THE variant to be had at a con (or as a retailer appreciation). As I have said before, ultimately it helps Image by keeping the 'buzz' going, encouraging new readers, and increasing sales. Sales = extended life of the book and other positive side effects.

(thumbs u

Not intentionally directed at you at all my friend. I'm just saying some people think all variants are bad at that creators shouldn't profit from them. Personally I feel the exact opposite...if there's a variant that is selling strongly and I like it...like this comicspro one if possible I'd rather buy from the creator.

The genesis was largely that I had a neat concept for an alternate cover style, and we found a practical reason for them to exist.

Yeah, I'm not sure if anyone has made note of it yet, but the orange and blue covers correspond with the colors on the original printing of issue one. Orange for Emerson Strange, blue for Simon Grimshaw, green for Dade Ellis, and purple for Thomas Walker.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Yeah, I'm not sure if anyone has made note of it yet, but the orange and blue covers correspond with the colors on the original printing of issue one. Orange for Emerson Strange, blue for Simon Grimshaw, green for Dade Ellis, and purple for Thomas Walker.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Makes perfect sense....now.

Trying to pick these four up is going to be challenging, to say the least.