• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

Being an artist, writer, poet, or whatever......and having people comment on the fruits of your labor comes with the territory. Hopefully E.S. has a thick skin and takes it all in as constructive criticism. I've seen the same types of comments in the Chew thread and the PP thread where other writers and artists of those titles contribute to the thread.

The responses have ranged from comedic to caustic.....but so far nobody has bailed.

I have been at ECCC all weekend and got to meet both Nate and Eric. Both are wonderful to talk to and seeing the original art was a thrill!

I also got to flip through issue 4 at the CBLDF signing!

As far as all the arguing...

I talked to several long standing board members who have been around for many years and I think we are all beginning to grow very tired at the absurdity of many new members who are free to voice their opinions but fail to realize other people read these forums in the industry also.

As a long time collector, buyer and seller...

There is a certain amount of integrity and respect you should have for all creators and their books. Not everything revolves around it being 'hot' but popularity is a good thing and so are options for people when it comes to unique variants with a purpose.

Just my 2 cents and I am sure someone that has never been to a con, been around comics for less than a year and has never actually met a creator or publisher will fill me in on how I am incorrect.

These boards use to be a great time and very knowledgeable but now it seems that knowledge is kept between many of us via phone calls, PMs and talks at conventions. Too bad for many and sadly much of the information in any given modern thread is inaccurate at best.

Sorry to preach, but just because you can post, doesn't mean you should...

Love

JJ

I have been at ECCC all weekend and got to meet both Nate and Eric. Both are wonderful to talk to and seeing the original art was a thrill!

I talked to several long standing board members who have been around for many years and I think we are all beginning to grow very tired at the absurdity of many new members who are free to voice their opinions but fail to realize other people read these forums in the industry also.

There is a certain amount of integrity and respect you should have for all creators and their books. Not everything revolves around it being 'hot' but popularity is a good thing and so are options for people when it comes to unique variants with a purpose.

Just my 2 cents and I am sure someone that has never been to a con, been around comics for less than a year and has never actually met a creator or publisher will fill me in on how I am incorrect.

These boards use to be a great time and very knowledgeable but now it seems that knowledge is kept between many of us via phone calls, PMs and talks at conventions. Too bad for many and sadly much of the information in any given modern thread is inaccurate at best.

Love

JJ

Very well articulated JJ. And I agree. Having been on the forums for 10+ yrs, I'm beginning to realize why I vanished in the first place. For the newer members: There is a difference between "typing" and "writing". My suggestion, and I don't mean to sound harsh, is to listen and read before just spouting off whatever thought first crosses your mind. I'd be embarrassed at some of your posts, and wonder if you truly realize others read what you type.

Love

JJ

+1

I know I am a relative newbie but I have realized this is a community and you need to come to these boards and carry your self with a certain amount of respect and humility. I have leveraged the discussions carried on these forums to my advantage in the past and hope to continue to do so in the future. I just hope the veterans around here do not get turned off and go elsewhere due to the influx of newbies that do not have community manners.

JJ

A valid point across many of these threads...

Frustrating as some of the comments may be the majority of the mess seems to be aimed at the secondary market which I think creators and publishers will mostly not give a rat's about. Some of the artists I have spoken to don't care about speculation at all because at the heart of things when it comes to sales they are capitalists too.

As for a lack of respect for the effort and work produced by someone. Well it goes without saying that people really shouldn't look down upon each other.

I don't really know about the history of these boards but I bet this is a post TWD / Image era which has dragged a huge amount of attention in (wanted or not) that otherwise would not have happened. It's a shame if a line in the sand has been drawn to keep knowledge about the comics world/industry private that may otherwise interest fans (if people feel that necessary)... maybe that's another thing to add to the apparent lack of integrity that isn't really helping the CGC community. That's not coming from someone who has more knowledge about comics or publishers ... just someone who wants to contribute at times.

To add to JJ's statement...

(1) give your opinion

(2) be humble to learn

(3) be respectful

(4) use logic over emotion (the Vulcans taught me that).

(5) be open to learn

(6) have fun

(7) be willing to be wrong, admit it, and move on

(8) honor the code (the pirates taught me that)

(9) be the bigger person / take the high road

(10) sometimes... Just shut the *spoon* up and enjoy the :popcorn: - :grin:

Lets talk about the book itself for a second.

Is anyone else reminded of Geoff Darrow's artwork when they look at Nate's work? I love the artwork!

Another question for the boards: Why did you pick up the series? I grabbed it because my LCS owner held one back & said, 'You gotta check this out. I think you'll like it.' I flipped through it & was hooked by the art & premise of 4 Science Guys as the Beatles.

I also enjoy the coloring & design of the book (like how it just dives right into the story on the inside front cover & puts indicia & credits on the back cover - well done).

I hope we haven't seen the last of Burnett & Langley!

Science is the new Rock & Roll.

I have been active on these boards since 2002. I have seen some great people come and go, I've seen some amazing collections....Some incredible wisdom and lots and lots of behavior that is less than be desired.

I know I will take flack for this, but comics and comic book collecting definitely brings to mind a certain stereotype. For the most part, I am sorry....It's true. There is a huge part of the comic book community is very socially awkward. These are traditionally children with narrow comfort zones, poor social pragmatics and in some cases, personality disorders...Now these people are adults who are able to sit behind a keyboard and pound away comments meant to ignite a reaction...and to tick people off.

Before I get stoned, let me say : There are some incredibly smart, knowledgable people who are great. They look out for the "other guy" and try to contribute positively to the hobby....

kimik

Oakman

BronzeBruce13

ItsjustRyan

Spacey

ThoseBackPages

Of course, this is just a short list off the top of my head based on what I've read...There are lots more...I just wanted to give examples.

I think that there is a dramatic difference between what is an opinion and what is a personal attack. Lots of misunderstandings and flame wars come out of someone having an opinion and someone taking it as a personal attack.

Something I've learned is that we are all entitled to an opinion, whether it's popular or not. If someone loves Adam Hughes art, with his overly drawn big breasted woman and tiny waists, then good for them. I happen to dislike the style. I have seen :slapfight: break out almost to the point of being restraining order worthy because someone thinks that the quick "doodle" that some artist did is brilliant, but someone turned their thumbs down.

How is this wrong ? -

Of course, having a difference in views does not give someone the right to insult or threaten. I have no problem with "agreeing to disagree".....Like about movies or tv shows or anything.

I have no issues with sharing information, but this needs to be done with discretion. Alot of collectors want the privacy and don't want to let "people know that they have this OA or this collection of books". I have to respect their wishes.

One of the best sources of information is the Golden Age Forums and to a lesser degree, the Silver Age. The modern section has a different mentality. It's such a larger pool of collectors, so the "odds" that you'll get :screwy: is higher, but so are the chances for positive things.

I think what JJonsepr needs to keep in mind and others too is that "You can't control what other people do".....All you have control over is what YOU do.

This is a hard thing to absorb but once you realize it, in a visceral way, only then can you just block that stuff out.

I don't respond to people attempting to poke me. It happened recently and I just nip it...And I don't go back and forth. If you don't feed the fire, it goes out...

Just my soapbox moment and I am stepping down... :fear:

Andy, seriously, get ahold of yourself. Its like talking to an apple sometimes. Im sure Wushu is pround of those books and spent well earned change on them. Stop in everyone's cheerios. You do this all the time. Everyone here isn't as stupid as you suspect and you aren't the wise old sage.

Again Pie - the only person arguing is you.No need to bring Wushy into this - he can (and has) spoken for himself.

Check the posts after my first comment - they all agreed!

This isn't about being a 'sage' or an 'apple' its about trying to not let people lose a ton of money.

Its not 'everyones' Cheerios - just those that bought this book - which you would be one of.

You are unable to NOT take this personally as you have a fair few runners in the race.

Stop suggesting its just me saying this.

Go back a few pages and look for yourself.

There are a fair few people saying the same.

Go argue the toss with them.

If NWM is soo good, why are there multiple unsold copies of 2 + 3 sitting on the shelves here in Melbourne?

If you bother to go back 10 pages or so,you will see I offered to buy them and send them over for cover - not one taker.

This is a board and ES driven frenzy.

I still don't know why you don't get the most basic of basic points.

I love PP,Revival,TWD,Hack/Slash, even Punk Rock Jesus now I have read a few more.

I can be quite happily positive about those books.

This one I'm not.

Carry On.Or not. Preferrably not.For everyones sake.

First off, please read this for everyones sake.

Just got home but I wanted to say

photobucket-6933-1362284345655_zps1d98e5f2.jpg

WASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUP

He seems pretty excited. Simon is posting pics to share his collection with us and you greet him with:

... now sell them!!

Douchery. You have done stuff like this in the past to others. I've tried to explain to you like you were a big boy and now as I would a child and if you still don't get it, I feel sorry for you. "Hey nice books man, Grats" Even if you hate the books, try it sometime (thumbs u

Next week,maybe nothing?
Guess we'll find out next week what kind of prophet you are. Tell you what, let's even give it an extra week.

Its ok to have an opinion Andy. No one is faulting you for that but not everyone here is a speculator. A lot of us collect for fun. There's no one here who hasn't lost money on a deal or a few books. Advice is cool but trying to make people think they are stupid for collecting something they have a passion for and, "sell them now"(over and over again), is contemptible.

one of us will look silly.
smiley_nah.gifI own four NWM slabs right now and maybe five soon. I'm not hoarding them so if it crashes and I lose a few hundred bucks, I'll be ok and still have some cool books from a great read.

Check the posts after my first comment

Did you check? Did you see him say they are for his personal collection?

they all agreed!
A few people commented that the variants were a turn off. I even said I hope there aren't anymore. That doesn't mean everyone agrees the book is garbage now. Your distortion of reality is alarming.

This one I'm not.
Great. Understood. Now, genius, are you done bashing this book in its own thread?

Thats my last word on the subject.
:eyeroll:

Thats an awful lot of cut and paste to have the last word.

I know I will take flack for this, but comics and comic book collecting definitely brings to mind a certain stereotype. For the most part, I am sorry....It's true. There is a huge part of the comic book community is very socially awkward. These are traditionally children with narrow comfort zones, poor social pragmatics and in some cases, personality disorders...Now these people are adults who are able to sit behind a keyboard and pound away comments meant to ignite a reaction...and to tick people off.

Wow. We have a psychiatrist here diagnosing comic book fans on the internet.