• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

I'm really enjoying this series BUT....I'm not at all a fan of all of all of these seemingly countless variant covers. The artificial scarcity of these manufactured collectibles is laughable to me. People shouldn't be paying $200+ for a book that came out a couple of months ago that is a "manufactured collectible," it's crazy. The value will eventually evaporate. The cover is different, big whoop. Why don't they make variant interiors? Answer - That might actually take a little work.

I am aware that they are incentives for dealers to order more copies or just plain manufactured to be in limited supply, but the prices being paid for them is borderline crazy and not healthy for the hobby. People are becoming more interested in the collectible than in a comic book and thats not good. I am all for regular books that increase in value due to quality or media attention but its getting crazy when there are what seems like 20 different covers. There will be a time when the *spoon* hits the fan.

I'm really enjoying this series BUT....I'm not at all a fan of all of all of these seemingly countless variant covers. The artificial scarcity of these manufactured collectibles is laughable to me. People shouldn't be paying $200+ for a book that came out a couple of months ago that is a "manufactured collectible," it's crazy. The value will eventually evaporate. The cover is different, big whoop. Why don't they make variant interiors? Answer - That might actually take a little work.

I am aware that they are incentives for dealers to order more copies or just plain manufactured to be in limited supply, but the prices being paid for them is borderline crazy and not healthy for the hobby. People are becoming more interested in the collectible than in a comic book and thats not good. I am all for regular books that increase in value due to quality or media attention but its getting crazy when there are what seems like 20 different covers. There will be a time when the *spoon* hits the fan.

I think this is a little exaggerated. There's only the regular print, the thought bubble, and the two convention issues, right? If somebody wants to pay $200+ for a comic that will most likely decline in value, that's their right. I love the series, and as long as it stays this good, I have no problem with 4 variants for the first issue.

And the 2nd print and the 3rd print. I'm guessing there is going to be a 4th since ToT, Revival, Saga (?) made it to 4 before Image Firsts.

I also think that there are going to be two more convention issues, but I could be wrong? One for each color on #1 1st print.

And the 2nd print and the 3rd print. I'm guessing there is going to be a 4th since ToT, Revival, Saga (?) made it to 4 before Image Firsts.

I also think that there are going to be two more convention issues, but I could be wrong? One for each color on #1 1st print.

I don't count 2nd prints, 3rd prints, etc. as variants. The multiple prints is based on the reader demand being higher than supply, IMO. I was one of the people late to the party, so the #1 first prints were already $30-40. I ended up buying digital, but a 2nd or 3rd print would have been great if I saw it in a shop.

So e.s confirmed that they weren't doing the other two color variants? I remember him saying it was up in the air a while back.

That comicspro price isn't very lucky imo - Honestly, I wouldn't pay more than that for a raw signed copy. Would love a raw signed if I obtained it myself though

So e.s confirmed that they weren't doing the other two color variants? I remember him saying it was up in the air a while back.

That comicspro price isn't very lucky imo - Honestly, I wouldn't pay more than that for a raw signed copy. Would love a raw signed if I obtained it myself though

Yeah.. I specifically asked him here about doing a green and a purple and he said that they were not going to; That by the time they got to a point where they found a reason to make one, they'd be on issue 7 and they would rather focus on promoting that issue and not creating another variant for #1.

Correct, here will be no further variants for #1. If we go to another printing on issue one, it will likely be an Image Firsts version, and that will just be the regular cover with the Image Firsts trade dress at $1.

And as I've noted before, there will be no convention or retailer exclusives for anything past issue one.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com