• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nowhere Men
2 2

6,687 posts in this topic

The guy is an artist, not a businessman.

Let him get up to speed.

The public flogging is disgraceful.

I disagree with the first part. If the artist has a website to sell art then he's also a businessman. If someone asked me to pay by paypal personal, promised to ship my item out on a specific day (multiple times), and then gave excuses after the fact, I'd be upset too.

Not sure I would take it to a public forum like this, but being an artist doesn't excuse someone from keeping their word.

BTW. He has an assistant to handle the shipping. What are public forums for if not to share experiences? It's ok as long as you don't say anything bad about anybody??

What's the point of sharing experiences if you are going to go into defense mode at any sign of a discussion happening?

2 months is reasonable. Just be glad you are not on a 6 month wait for a commission! :taptaptap:
Yeah, pretty sure EvilAsh waited 2 years for a Tony Moore one

lol I wish it was only 2 years!

Try nearly 5 years :o:tonofbricks:

Totally worth it though :cloud9:

Yeah, if you have any problem with patience and artists, never do a commission.

:mad:DRAW FASTER!!!!!!!! :mad:

One time I did a piece for Diggler that took me 3 months to complete,bless his patient heart. :golfclap:

Don't be too harsh on Dannyboy.....I had bid on an auction of his for the ComicsPro variant way over a month ago.....apparently he was expecting a copy or two directly from Nate.

He's kept me informed since that auction about the ups and downs of getting those comics and OA from him.

It's perfectly understood that these artists are in demand, it's also perfectly appreciated that Con season has been rough for folks and has pushed back timetables.

But if you've told someone you're going to do something and you give a fairly distinct time to expect that merchandise....then why not just do it?

If you can't do that, then tell that person you're very sorry for the inconvenience and that you'll do whatever is in your power to make things right or at least compensate them for the extraordinarly long wait.

If you can't even do that, then at least apologize and refund their money immediately.

Nothing happend that couldn't have been fixed with few keystrokes via Paypal. If you don't have time to ship things then a refund is most appropriate. That can't take too much time out of a person's schedule can it?

I think everyone has a valid point on either end and nobody should be penalized 100% for good intentions that didn't pan out.

But in the 21st century when most individuals have 24 hour access to their emails via smartphone, laptops, etc.....It's unthinkable that multiple emails go ignored. I've had numerous interactions via email and phone with other artists that are equally in demand and that are on the con-circuit.

I can only be surprised at the duration of time it took to resolve the issue somewhat amicably.

2 months is reasonable. Just be glad you are not on a 6 month wait for a commission! :taptaptap:
Yeah, pretty sure EvilAsh waited 2 years for a Tony Moore one

lol I wish it was only 2 years!

Try nearly 5 years :o:tonofbricks:

Totally worth it though :cloud9:

no doubt (worship)

e.s., a question.....

How much "interest" must there be for an Image title in order for there to be foreign language releases?

for those that are released in other languages, what kind of print runs are there?

In both cases, it depends on a number of factors. Certain things are appealing in other markets, regardless of how they do in the U.S.

Print runs are all over the place, but generally speaking, much lower than in the U.S. Keep in mind that most European countries are smaller than some U.S. states.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

e.s., a question.....

How much "interest" must there be for an Image title in order for there to be foreign language releases?

for those that are released in other languages, what kind of print runs are there?

In both cases, it depends on a number of factors. Certain things are appealing in other markets, regardless of how they do in the U.S.

Print runs are all over the place, but generally speaking, much lower than in the U.S. Keep in mind that most European countries are smaller than some U.S. states.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Great points. i didnt take into consideration either of them. i appreciate you sharing with us and helping me learn.

i understand that the rules for print runs can be all over the place for floppies, but i have to wonder what are the "rules" for printing up TPB Collections? and why are we as collectors (regardless of where we live) not able to find an easy place to purchase those TPBs?

i would like to own as many different language TWD TPB's as i can, but Amazon and sometimes eBay seem to be the only venues to make such purchases as someone living in the United States.

is there a legal reason, or simply lack of enough interest, for Image/Skybound not to sell these foreign trades?

it's a forum, people talk, doesn't really matter, i'm sure it will be resolved eventually. e.s. will probably poke his cage after reading the thread.

I don't "poke" anyone's "cage." Nate and I are equal partners in Nowhere Men; I'm neither his boss nor his keeper.

And in terms of the O/A thing, I love reading speculation about what artists should or shouldn't do. Nate's first priority is getting this book drawn. Selling artwork or comics or whatever on the side is strictly a bonus, and even with someone else helping out, that stuff can be a genuine hassle, especially after a convention. The week after any con is always a lost week, for a variety of reasons, and it's exactly because of problems like this that Nate has decided to cut down on when, where and how he sells his artwork. By limiting availability to a couple times a year, it will (hopefully) prevent him from getting bogged down with shipping and handling, and the buyer from waiting to get what he/she paid for.

Beyond that, fcuk the Internet. It's all well and good that you can post about every little thing that aggravates you, but honestly, forums aren't the place to handle disputes. Believe it or not, things like manners and decorum do exist, and just because you feel like you've been slighted in some way, doesn't mean the first course of action is to respond in kind. There's always a middle ground, and better still, there's a high road. Generally speaking, both lead to better places.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com