• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your SS Philosophy?

33 posts in this topic

My philosophy is reminiscent of Pokemon - Gotta catch 'em all!

If there is a series or a creator that I like, I want to have SS. If there was a movie or TV tie-in and I enjoyed it, and there was a comic adaptation, I want SS of the actors. If someone is a historic or important figure in comics history, even if I didn't like their work, I want SS. It has gotten to the point that if they did anything even remotely noteworthy (and I do mean remotely) I want SS.

:roflmao:

It's funny because it is true.

I think that is why he laughed, because he knows it's true. I'm not really big on SS, I get some stuff here and there but my hubby is like the post above. Anything and everything that interests him. He just wants the yellow label.

He would have a kid outside the con sign his book and take it to cgc for the yellow label lol

If there is a series or a creator that I like, I want to have SS. If there was a movie or TV tie-in and I enjoyed it, and there was a comic adaptation, I want SS of the actors. If someone is a historic or important figure in comics history, even if I didn't like their work, I want SS. It has gotten to the point that if they did anything even remotely noteworthy (and I do mean remotely) I want SS.

I think that is why he laughed, because he knows it's true. I'm not really big on SS, I get some stuff here and there but my hubby is like the post above. Anything and everything that interests him. He just wants the yellow label.

He would have a kid outside the con sign his book and take it to cgc for the yellow label lol

I fully intend to get something yellow labeled signed by me next chance I get. I just have to see if CGC will do it and I don't see why they wouldn't since I worked on the magazine and I'm credited. So yeah, I have the same mentality....

I went from being satisfied with a universal blue to everything must be SS. Now I'm into sketches and the only reason I want my sketches SS is so that there's a uniform yellow color when displayed on the wall. Oh and the fact that they're encapsulated and authenticated.

I fully intend to get something yellow labeled signed by me next chance I get. I just have to see if CGC will do it and I don't see why they wouldn't since I worked on the magazine and I'm credited. So yeah, I have the same mentality....

I was once told by CGC that if I signed one of the Wizard magazines where CGC took out the ad listing me among the Registry Award winners that they would give it a yellow label. I got a couple copies. I haven't SS'd them yet but I think I will get one done some day.

I love Sig series books and have loads. I dont really mind about the book too much, I just like the fact that a creator that I have admired, has signed a book that own.

I am in the UK and when I get a SS book its a guarantee to me that I am getting the genuine article.

I am quite happy to have any grade, but I wouldnt get any high grade key books or peds signed.

I think a nice sig on a mid grade book can turn an ordinary book into something special.

Would love to see a rundown of everyones overarching personal SS rules... I'm sure people have them...

Are you a...

...no Sigs on high grade SA keys?

...only want sigs on original books?

...only want sigs if I can meet the person to get it?

etc...

So what are the guidelines/philosophy you work from?

I'm a do my own stuff, help out friends when I can, and to hell with everyone else type of guy.

My first priority is always the cover artist, I don't want a SS book unless one of the sigs is of the cover artist. I try to get mostly variants done, since they're essentially just a showcase for the cover artist.

I'm very new to SS and CGC for that matter, but I'm of the if I have the means and the chance do it mentality now. I went through a phase were I wasn't into the idea of getting books signed, then an artist who I admired passed and I had opted to not get a book signed about a year prior when I got a print from him. He even went out of his way to offer to mail it back to me if he wasn't at the booth when I finally found one for sale. So, I got a couple books signed this year I have been wanting to get signed when I was 12ish, but then went through my no sigs on them phase. It's mostly creators and artists for me.

As for in person, that would be ideal, but I realize that I cannot do it feasibly. 1 con will be my absolute max seeing as how this 'hobby' has taken hold of me.

ROFL HE stands outside the Mexico ComiCon to get his First Appearance of Jesus signed by some kid who's Entire name was "Je'sus" RoFL. May not take that long to find someone. Hahaha. ok too many beers perhaps.

Ok My philosophy is largely:

No books under 100$ in value given post grading expected value (not SS added value - just blue label book value).

Very few low grade silver age books.

Very high grade silver age books are Great.

NO non-creators of a book or character in SS. This includes actors. EXCEPT when an actor has done the same character in more than 3 movies - then they've become iconic and not just a slightly better than random actor, ie. just another character for them the actor. So I like star wars actors and such. Music artists are by definition iconic and a good pop media signature. The guy that played the blue guy in avatar - that's a no go.

Older aged signers are inherently more valuable to me.

99.99% of modern books are no go's for signatures. The entire value of a gold label book shouldn't be the signature.Like getting an index card signed and sealed, IMO (sorry guys). Exceptions are high $ value moderns (or super rare). Generally speaking not a fan of sketch covers (are all the pages blank too? I'm really not sure :P) Would prefer smaller less intricate sketches on more applicable and valuable books.(ok fine, there are a FEW sketches on sketch covers I find desirable - but so rare to get one created for yourself IMO)

semi-obscure golden age books can be a fun mix up.

Sometimes I wish I could get all my books signed in person myself, but then my memories of the claustraphobia kick in. (Thanks Witnesses!)

I too would like to get a book signed by myself. Seems unlikely though... I guess I could do wizard. How do I know which issue to get? I'm guessing not all #1 sets are in whatever issue that is right?

+1

This is about where my philosophy lies...all of my slabs should have yellow labels ;)