• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Batman Reads??

37 posts in this topic

A co-worker of mine came up to me and asked if I knew some great Batman novels. He says he has just starting reading them and loves the few he has been able to read. I have a few I have read but I certainly haven't read as many as many boardies I figure. If you could point out some that you thought were must reads I would appreciate it!! If there is a thread discussing this already sorry I couldn't find it but please let me know the link, thanks!!!

I'd add:

Dark Victory

Black Mirror

Dark Knight Returns ('natch)

Batman and Robin vol 1-3

Batman: Noel

Joker (OK, not really Batman, but really cool)

Year One

Broken City

Monster Men

Any of the Dini/Nguyen collected series.

A co-worker of mine came up to me and asked if I knew some great Batman novels. He says he has just starting reading them and loves the few he has been able to read. I have a few I have read but I certainly haven't read as many as many boardies I figure. If you could point out some that you thought were must reads I would appreciate it!! If there is a thread discussing this already sorry I couldn't find it but please let me know the link, thanks!!!

Best Batman Story Ever Poll in first Post

(thumbs u

the Legends of the Dark Knight books were good;

Prey

Venom

Gothic

Shaman

Absolution

Dark Victory

Death by Design

Strange Apparitions

Black Mirror

The Cult

Gotham by Gaslight

Batman Black & White 1, 2 , 3

My favorites are, in no paticular order

Year One

The Dark Knight Returns

Hush

The Long Halloween

The Killing Joke

Noel and Joker with the Lee Bermejo art were both pretty good I thought also but I wouldn't put them in the same leauge as the others listed.

My favorites are, in no paticular order

Year One

The Dark Knight Returns

Hush

The Long Halloween

The Killing Joke

Noel and Joker with the Lee Bermejo art were both pretty good I thought also but I wouldn't put them in the same leauge as the others listed.

Spot on!!

I think if you did a survey amongst hardcore bat fans these would probably be regarded as the top 5 bat reads of all time (so far). 5 of the top, say 7-8 at the very least.

Just my opinion. If your friend is a new reader, I would actually recommend against the trades that are collected reprints of early era stories. Included in this group would be the Marshall's Apparitions, Neal Adams' Batman Vol 1-3, etc.. These are all great books. I have almost all of them, but the stories were written in the style of the era in which they were originally published. The target audience back then was not as mature as it is today. Many of these tales have not aged very well and may come off as silly to the uninitiated. Once he gets really interested, he can then go back and read some of these classic stories.

Related, but not strictly Batman - I'd also recommend Gotham Central. A very good look into the Gotham's Finest.

I was going to add this!

Gotham Central is like... the super-juggernaut-trade. When they were coming out monthly, nobody seemed to care, but over time it's become a cult classic.

Rucka and Brubaker hit home runs and this series has turned into one of the most highly regarded reads in the last 15-20 years. It's pretty much universally praised.