• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to say no?

80 posts in this topic

Ok, backstory time;

On a few occasions I've had people offer a book or books from a Want to buy thread. I've purchased some that were offered but a few times either the book was too expensive or shipping was too much or it wasn't what the WTB thread specified I was looking for. You get the idea.

When this has happened I've been polite, said thanks for showing me your goods but I'll pass, then I give my reason. On more than a few occasions the seller has either gotten annoyed or quickly removed themself from the PM conversation.

Am I not wording or handling this properly? Or do some people not understand that showing a potential buyer a book isn't a bill of sale?

Any advice is greatly appreciated (thumbs u

Quickly removing yourself from a PM conversation isn't necessarily rude, it's just practical when you've got a ton of PM's... What else can someone say when you tell them you're not interested?

A specific example would help too...

I don't know I agree. Removing oneself from a message topic before replying in kind or just to sign off comes off like the kind of thing a kid does when they take their ball home out of spite.

Besides, did I miss the memo where we're paying for PM bandwidth?

Quickly removing yourself from a PM conversation isn't necessarily rude, it's just practical when you've got a ton of PM's... What else can someone say when you tell them you're not interested?

Depends how you do it IMO. Say someone pms you with a book for sale and you respond "no thanks" or "that's a little more than I wanted to spend" or whatever. If the person doesn't even bother to respond and just removes them self, to me that's rude and them being a whiny turd. Like halo just said, it takes like 4 seconds to just respond "no problem, thanks for looking" and then remove yourself (shrug)

Ok, the most recent example was;

I'm looking for book 'a' in this grade. This book often has a bad wrap, so I'd like to see the book first. Seller tells me he has a book coming back from CGC in that grade signed and will send me a pic when it arrives. He does, it's got a bad wrap and I'm not too fussy on the sig, and it's more than I'd want to spend because of it. So I said my no thanks.

Depends how you do it IMO. Say someone pms you with a book for sale and you respond "no thanks" or "that's a little more than I wanted to spend" or whatever. If the person doesn't even bother to respond and just removes them self, to me that's rude and them being a whiny turd. Like halo just said, it takes like 4 seconds to just respond "no problem, thanks for looking" and then remove yourself (shrug)

Geez if I started a whiny thread everytime that happened to me there would have been a few. It's just like water off a ducks back to me. Yeah it annoys me a bit but (shrug)

Geez if I started a whiny thread everytime that happened to me there would have been a few. It's just like water off a ducks back to me. Yeah it annoys me a bit but (shrug)

It's always better to whine in someone else's thread anyway ;)