• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will this year's NYCC surpass San Diego's to become the largest Comic Con ever?

Will this be the year that the New York Comic Con surpasses San Diego's to become the largest Comic Con the the country?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Will this be the year that the New York Comic Con surpasses San Diego's to become the largest Comic Con the the country?

55 posts in this topic

It'll NEVER attract the wordwide attention that SDCC gets.

If there is one thing I know, it's to never say never.

There are bigger shows than SD in Europe and Asia.

Respectfully disagree. Do you really understand how large the New York media market is?

This thread is based on the premise of not "if" New York's Comic Con will surpass San Diego's but "when." My question is whether it will be this year. It's just a matter of time as to when New York becomes the largest- let's remember that San Diego had a huge head start (decades?). San Diego is a fantastic and beautiful City- been there and love it! And I'll be heading back.

New York, on the other hand, has unlimited resources (lodging, entertainment, restaurants, nightlife, etc.) in terms of accommodating visitors. Let me stress that while the San Diego Comic Con will always be a fantastic venue, New York's will supersede it and it's only fitting imho that the largest U.S. City and birthplace of the American Comic Book publishing industry host "Comic-Book-Dom's biggest event- hell, New York might as well settle for the County's biggest Comic Con since it has had no luck getting the Summer Olympics.

Respectfully,

John

Respectfully disagree. Do you really understand how large the New York media market is?

This thread is based on the premise of not "if" New York's Comic Con will surpass San Diego's but "when." My question is whether it will be this year. It's just a matter of time as to when New York becomes the largest- let's remember that San Diego had a huge head start (decades?). San Diego is a fantastic and beautiful City- been there and love it! And I'll be heading back.

New York, on the other hand, has unlimited resources (lodging, entertainment, restaurants, nightlife, etc.) in terms of accommodating visitors. Let me stress that while the San Diego Comic Con will always be a fantastic venue, New York's will supersede it and it's only fitting imho that the largest U.S. City and birthplace of the American Comic Book publishing industry host "Comic-Book-Dom's biggest event- hell, New York might as well settle for the County's biggest Comic Con since it has had no luck getting the Summer Olympics.

Respectfully,

John

To this point I agree. I had to go to San Diego for a work related thing a few years ago. It was nice but outside of the Gaslight district and the Zoo I felt as if I did a lot of what I would have wanted to do.

NYC? Like I said, last call is 4am.

Why not New Orleans? Hell they drink in the show and from what I see there is no last call.

Last time I was in New Orleans I wound up fleeing for my life, hitchhiking home while the rains and winds were pouring down around me in what turned out to be a stolen car and that was just on the way from New Orleans to Memphis in my effort to get back to NY.

I am okay staying away from New Orleans.

Nahhh I'm good until those memories fade enough for me to go back.

The problem with holding a week long event is that it takes time to set up. Set up times for 3-4 day shows are typically 2-3 days in advance of the show.

Any time a show adds days it increases the cost and commitment of dealers. If the sales increase similarly it can make sense.

NY on the other hand is easily accessible and growing.

I don't know about that...I live right outside the City and honestly, I'd rather fly to Chicago..the convention center has always been a PITA to get to...it's not near any decent public transportation and the parking is pretty high.

In Chicago, I can stay at a nice, clean, reasonably priced hotel right next door.

If I were going for just a vacation, museums, or entertainment, it would be NYC all the way...but just for the show? Not so much...I much prefer Chicago.

Hmm never been to Chicago.

I went for 10 years...best comic shopping I've been to...way better than NYC, at least for me...and ...I was born and raised in NY...but I think the expenses are overwhelming for the dealers here...just the hotels and food are very high.

Chicago...fly in, take a free hotel shuttle, check in..wander over next door through a tunnel, if it's raining, you walk about 200 feet.

New York, get off a subway, look for a cab and PRAY you will find one on the way back...or you can do what I do...drive down and experience all of Bloomberg's innovations with one way streets;)

Don't get me wrong, I went to school and worked in NYC...but for fun...I like the hotel next door thing...In Chicago..I just go back to my room, drop off my books, put my feet up for 15 minutes and run back down:) In NY...you can't exactly do that;)

Hmm never been to Chicago.

I went for 10 years...best comic shopping I've been to...way better than NYC, at least for me...and ...I was born and raised in NY...but I think the expenses are overwhelming for the dealers here...just the hotels and food are very high.

Chicago...fly in, take a free hotel shuttle, check in..wander over next door through a tunnel, if it's raining, you walk about 200 feet.

New York, get off a subway, look for a cab and PRAY you will find one on the way back...or you can do what I do...drive down and experience all of Bloomberg's innovations with one way streets;)

Don't get me wrong, I went to school and worked in NYC...but for fun...I like the hotel next door thing...In Chicago..I just go back to my room, drop off my books, put my feet up for 15 minutes and run back down:) In NY...you can't exactly do that;)

Actually... If I ever go to Chicago... the last thing I plan on doing is going to a Comic Book show. That would be fun but it is last on the list.

Chicago: The List

Call in sick on a Friday to go to Chicago

Pick up friends using lame excuses to get them out of work

Ride around in a red convertible

Eat at a great restaurant

Go to a Cubs game

Go to the museum

Sing in a Parade.

I don't know about that...I live right outside the City and honestly, I'd rather fly to Chicago..the convention center has always been a PITA to get to...it's not near any decent public transportation and the parking is pretty high.

In Chicago, I can stay at a nice, clean, reasonably priced hotel right next door.

If I were going for just a vacation, museums, or entertainment, it would be NYC all the way...but just for the show? Not so much...I much prefer Chicago.

I agree with this. i attend the Sports Card National, and Chicago is awesome.

Chicago is a wonderful show.

It's centred in Rosemont, it's surrounded by hotels and everything you need is within walking distance.

As far as NYC goes, I'd NEVER drive a car in town but then the same goes for any big city. Cabs are cheap in NYC.

We either fly into NYC (lots of cheap flights) or we drive and park in Secausus and take a $4 train ride into town and cab everywhere.

It's the only way to do it in a big city as far as I'm concerned. As soon as the kids are grown and out of the house I'm moving to a big city where I can walk and cab it everywhere.

:cloud9:

Wish I could be... :tonofbricks:

It's a very expensive weekend but loads of fun!

I raised this question since the new subway expansion leading to the Convention Center is near completion and will provide greater access which should lead to an even larger increase in the size of Comic Con attendees.

The subway expansion station is set to open at the end of 2015... if all goes according to schedule. lol

Wish I could be... :tonofbricks:

It's a very expensive weekend but loads of fun!

We'll miss you bro! Next year... start planning. :taptaptap:

I raised this question since the new subway expansion leading to the Convention Center is near completion and will provide greater access which should lead to an even larger increase in the size of Comic Con attendees.

The subway expansion station is set to open at the end of 2015... if all goes according to schedule. lol

The LIRR becomes disabled when there is a drizzle and they expect me to believe that they are operating on time in an effort to get an expansion station.

Speaking of, I wonder if they operate under the same premise. Did you know that the LIRR is considered "on time" as long as the train is within 6:59 of its scheduled time? Never mind that you may miss a connection because the other trains are not going to slow down to wait for you.

Hmm 7 min out of an hour is about 12%

I want to pay my monthly bills within 12% and be considered paid in full.

Why not New Orleans? Hell they drink in the show and from what I see there is no last call.

Which raises an interesting point--why hasn`t Las Vegas become the host of the mother of all cons?