• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

8.0 X-Men 1 on ebay - any reason to doubt seller?

40 posts in this topic

Whenever I see a listing with those angled photos rather than nice fat scans, it's time for me to move on.

Good to know. My scanner doesn't scan slabs well, so I end up taking...angled photos! I may be losing potential bidders such as yourself...

Graded comics are a different story. Photos could be acceptable if they're sharp enough. Those angled photos on raw comics are a great way to make your merch look much higher grade, and hide otherwise obvious resto.

X-Men 1 8.0 on ebay: Any reason to doubt anything here?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180989821961

This is a funny one. He's sold and received legit fb on several fairly high-dollar books. On this one, though, I would be very much afraid of receiving a cracked-out PLOD, despite his "guarantees." Why else would a seller who appears knowledgeable not send the book to CGC before selling it? Selling it raw as a low-fb seller leaves money on table, as you would think he would know.

Whenever I see a listing with those angled photos rather than nice fat scans, it's time for me to move on.

Good to know. My scanner doesn't scan slabs well, so I end up taking...angled photos! I may be losing potential bidders such as yourself...

Foil logo comics scan as black, so I rigged up a tripod aiming a 5 megapixel digital camera straight down. I was able to get some very good photos that show both the foil color and they were square enough that I could used them in a cover gallery online in place of digital scans. My advice is to give that a try and maybe even use a higher resolution camera to get all the nitpicky details that buyers need to see.

DG

The age old question. Why isn't that book in a slab. He's making all these guarantees that I would take with a grain of salt.

"There are a few guarantees with this listing because of its value which are it is unrestored, it will grade in the 7.5-8.5 range."

That's a wide range of grades for a guarantee. That book looks more in the 7.0 range to me. There's quite a bit of creasing on the edges all the way around the F.C. No way that books an 8.5.

If I'm going to plop down that kind of dough, its going to be in person so I can look at it in hand. Or it's going to be from a dealer on these boards that backs up his sale.

The age old question. Why isn't that book in a slab. He's making all these guarantees that I would take with a grain of salt.

"There are a few guarantees with this listing because of its value which are it is unrestored, it will grade in the 7.5-8.5 range."

That's a wide range of grades for a guarantee. That book looks more in the 7.0 range to me. There's quite a bit of creasing on the edges all the way around the F.C. No way that books an 8.5.

If I'm going to plop down that kind of dough, its going to be in person so I can look at it in hand. Or it's going to be from a dealer on these boards that backs up his sale.

+1

Its a nice looking book from those crappy pics but in hand, there is no way that books a 8.0-8.5. Even from those pics i can see a TON of problems that would knock that well below 8.5 imo. I have a 8.5 Xmen1 and if i took pics like that of it, robojo could sell it as a 9.4-9.6 hiding the faults a high res scan would show you (thumbs u