• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? Buying a Collection of SS Sketch Covers.

31 posts in this topic

What Im asking is if someone is looking to sell a large amount of SS Sketch covers various artists etc. Lets say 50 for an example. 40 are CGC and 10 are raw. What would be a fair price to pay per sketch cover if buying in lots.

I've seen prices for some at 350+ and some for as low as 30. So my question is if someone is selling a "collection" of 50. What price per book would be fair.

Sc

Still tree-fiddy.

If someone had a collection of sketches you would pay book by book rather then finding an average price per book?

SC

Yes. You would pay by the book. If it were me, I would find out the average price per sketch by each artist, add them all up and then come up with a discounted offer since you are buying in bulk.

For instance, let's say the total street value is $5000 for all the sketches. Depending on the artists and how quickly you can move them (if that is your thing), that will determine what you should pay.

If someone had a collection of sketches you would pay book by book rather then finding an average price per book?

SC

Yes. You would pay by the book. If it were me, I would find out the average price per sketch by each artist, add them all up and then come up with a discounted offer since you are buying in bulk.

For instance, let's say the total street value is $5000 for all the sketches. Depending on the artists and how quickly you can move them (if that is your thing), that will determine what you should pay.

Balls is right, you cant really make a fair offer unless you have done your research. 1st get the list of books in the lot with the following info:

1. Artist(s) on the sketch

2. Subject matter of the sketch

3. Type of sketch

a. quick sketch

a. headshot

b. bust

c. full figure

d. multiple characters

e. does it also have backgrounds

4. Sketch medium

a. pencils only

b. marker

c. pencils & inks

d. copics

e. inked & colored (especially if by different artists)

(any other variables I missed?)

Then, using this info do some research. Find out the ballpark of rates the artists charge for the various types of sketches done (this number isnt static and changes over time and from con to con so know you arent getting a hard and fast answer). Add the encapsulation costs, and then you know a ballpark of what the owner might have in the book.

The problem with sketched books is most owners wanna get out what the put into the book, and most buyers don't want to pay more than that (outside of the key artists who are tough to get work from so the market increases). Its a tough market to try and run a "business" model thru. Not a lot of margin. Not a big market of buyers. Lots of individuality (every piece is essentially one of a kind, and all very subject to the collectors eye).

The problem with sketched books is most owners wanna get out what the put into the book, and most buyers don't want to pay more than that (outside of the key artists who are tough to get work from so the market increases). Its a tough market to try and run a "business" model thru. Not a lot of margin. Not a big market of buyers. Lots of individuality (every piece is essentially one of a kind, and all very subject to the collectors eye).

Yes, I'm in total agreement with that. You can cruise the sales threads and see that sketches can be a challenge for a variety of reasons. I don't 'deal' in them, but I am a very picky art buyer. I have a different set of buying parameters that another collector might have, and those might differ from yet other collectors.

The point is that sketch covers can be a challenging sell because most collectors have very specific parameters that cause them to include some books, but exclude others altogether. Avengers fans probably won't collect X-Men sketches, even if it's from an artist they like. Some people won't collect X-Men sketches from artists who are not published. And so on.

You could end up buying a bunch of sketches that might garner 100% of their purchase price, and some that only get 50% because they can only move when offered at a steep discount because they don't fit a lot of common "parameters" of sketch collectors. This is what you have to identify and do research for - so you don't pay $200 for a book that you have to give away for $100.

If someone had a collection of sketches you would pay book by book rather then finding an average per book?

SC

Are they 50 Neal Adams sketches or 50 Joe Schlabotnik sketches? The former will require $20,000, the latter a fake PSA 10 Jordan rookie card.

Why so mean?

- Joe Schlabotnik's mom

and doesnt Neal Adams do quick 50 dollar sketches? Thats 2500

Good point. Is this 25 Campbell detail sketches and 15 quick sketches, and 5 detailed Neal Adams and 4 quick sketches and 1 Ebas in copics? Each one has a different price range even though it might be the same artist. Depends on the artist, the subject, and the effort.