• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The TICK #1 Bunch - SPOON!! (Black cover)
1 1

114 posts in this topic

After joining many various #1 Clubs here, I felt one or two were missing. Thus, I have decided to create the Tick #1 Club.

Not widely-loved by many, and hated by more (especially if you watched the Fox live-action show from 2001), none-the-less is beloved by a few.

Although, I don't claim this to be the first Tick appearance in a comic (which was Special Edition #1 - White cover), it is can be a difficult issue to get none-the-less. So, considering that it is the first issue of the actual volume 1 run, I think this club is valid.

So, post both your Special Edition #1 White Covers, and/or the slightly-less-special Regular Run #1 Covers.

So, you few, submit your entries into this exclusive club.*

*1st Printings only please....

Here's mine:

09TICK1-small_zps1bc23b53.jpg

After joining many various #1 Clubs here, I felt one or two were missing. Thus, I have decided to create the Tick #1 Club.

Not widely-loved by many, and hated by more (especially if you watched the NBC FOX live-action show from 2001), none-the-less is beloved by a few.

;)

He appeared first as a mascot in the New England Comics newsletter. He was so popular, they decided to start up the monthly book pictured above. So, I would call the the official first appearance in comics. Not sure if any of those newsletters count, but I could be wrong. I imagine that club would be small indeed. (unless, of course, you have access to a 1980's-era Xerox machine....

P.S. Your copy is giving mine a run for it's money...You're in good company.

Yes, I believe the white cover #1 did come out a few weeks or a month before the black copy but the black cover is more valuable because it is more difficult to find in higher grade? just a guess.

the white cover only have 5000 copies and mine is numbered around 1000 I think. I can dig it out and take a pic of the interior cover where there is a mention that this is a special first copy offered.

Not widely-loved by many, and hated by more (especially if you watched the Fox live-action show from 2001), none-the-less is beloved by a few.

I thought the show was awesome! I love Patrick Warburton... Nice books everyone!

I thought the show was awesome! I love Patrick Warburton... Nice books everyone!

The show was decent enough, but after loving the comic for so long, it just didn't feel right. Patrick Warburton was born to play that role however....

He appeared first as a mascot in the New England Comics newsletter. He was so popular, they decided to start up the monthly book pictured above. So, I would call the the official first appearance in comics. Not sure if any of those newsletters count, but I could be wrong. I imagine that club would be small indeed. (unless, of course, you have access to a 1980's-era Xerox machine....

P.S. Your copy is giving mine a run for it's money...You're in good company.

Here is the order of appearances:

1. NEC Newsletter #14 July/Aug. 1986

2. NEC Newsletter #15 Sept./Oct. 1986

3. NEC Newsletter #16 Nov./Dec. 1986

4. The Tick Special Edition #1 March 1988 1st Comic Book Appearance

5. The Tick Special Edition #2 June 1988

6. The Tick #1 June 1988

7. The Tick #2 Sept. 1988

8. Independent Comic Sampler #2 Oct. 1988

The list is published in The Tick #2 2nd printing. (thumbs u

Well, this isn't the first appearance club, right? (ha, ha). ;)

Anyway, I grew up with a tattered 5th printing #1, so when I finally got my hands on a bona fide 1st printing (black cover) copy of the regular Volume 1 run, I felt elated.

So, it's still a cool club to be a part of, right? ( at least until I get one of those snazzy white-cover special editions and start a new club...)

Anybody own one of those newsletters?

The show was decent enough, but after loving the comic for so long, it just didn't feel right. Patrick Warburton was born to play that role however....

I can see where you are coming from. Patrick Warburton is the man though, and the show was worth watching (all what 6 episodes of it? lol) just for him.