• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heartbreaking question about ink

87 posts in this topic

cp54....if you like you may send them to me as I have perfected the art of the "wonderbread stamp removal method"....Upon arrival give me approximatly 4 weeks for full and proper removal of the offending stamps.... thumbsup2.gif

If this guy is the original owner of these books, having bought them off the rack, could this be worthy of a pedigree?

If he says all have the same distinguishing mark, it could be used to help identify them.

It would need to be catalogued by issue and condition.

If it is truely a high grade one owner collection, I think the mark would add to the value.

Anyone have a thought on this?

Yes, I was gonna post the same thing. All bought from the newsstand. All stamped the same. If grade is high then pedigree - at least minor pedigree (due to 700-800 quantity) is worth considering. And yes, I agree the stamp would be an indicator not unlike the various indicators on other pedigrees.

Definitely let's see some scans.

Okay... here's the thing...

In fact, there is also a small number of collectors who LIKE name stamps, date stamps, or writing on books that come from an original owner collection because those stamps help identify the books and also lend something of an air of history and evidence of the provenance of each book. I am one of them and several other collectors on these boards feel the same.

OKAY! That is encouraging! How about if I market them with a unique "Collection" name and provide a certificate of authenticity and mention the small margin stamp while doing the discription rundown along with the collection's history?

cashpoor54

confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

Fantastic Four #52

Somebody was asking for a scan and you asked for this one so here ya go... This is the typical condition of the collection give or take. The waviness is from the bag (but you knew that) All books were gently read, never opened flat or folded backwards. They were stored unbagged for years then one day I opened an Overstreet guide and my interest was renewed. I bagged and boarded at that point. They do lay flat. Will the bidding go higher?

cashpoor54

PS. Thanks for the input from everybody. I guess that this is one of the so called key issues I'll need to get CGC'ed before I auction them off.

589a8cc046a6d_543118-FF_52_smallscan.jpg.cfec9b70f3e271139898847e7e37782e.jpg

Thanks for the scan of your beautiful FF52, Cashpoor. If you have a large run of early Marvels that look as nice as this book, then you have a mighty fine collection indeed. Since you expressed an interest in having some of your collection graded and slabbed, I would suggest that at the outset you discuss with Mark Haspel of CGC the full breadth and extent of your collection. That way, CGC can provide you with an opinion on whether it might merit a pedigree status. Your idea of providing certificates of authenticity, signed by you, is an excellent one as well.

Congrats on your non-cashpoor future!

cp54...If that is indeed the indicative of the condition of the rest of your books I would give you this advice...

Slow down....stick around these boards and learn all you can about the value and possible pedigree status that your books...these forums offer a wealth of intelligant , well informed and honorable people and you would do yourself a great service if you just settle back and absorb the opinions and advice that this community has to offer... thumbsup2.gif

I clicked on the attachment thinking I'd see a low to midgrade comic.......

I spit out the water I was drinking when I actually saw the scan.

If your collection looks as good as this one book.....

You should recieve pedigree status.

Any chance we can see a scan of your amazing fantasy 15?

If it looks like the condition of your Fantastic Four comic I'm gonna faint.

Just for the heck of it, can we see a scan of the stamp on the first page of that FF 52?

For god's sake...don't open the book on the scanner to show us!

893whatthe.gif

Dude, if your books are this nice, you need to get started on an inventory.

Do NOT sell a single book until you talk to someone about getting them labeled as a pedigree.

Do not offer them to any person or dealer privately.

If this is collection is legit, one of the CGC graders (Steve or Mark?) can tell you what you need to do from there.

I'm sure someone will need to look at them all in person and determine if they are worthy.

Whatever you do...don't sell anything yet.

When the collection gets some airtime in the hobby pulps, then offer them at an auction.

I wish you the best of luck with them.

It would be nice to see an original owner reap the money they deserve for keeping the books in such nice shape.

Beware of the vultures. Do not sell these books privately!!!!!

sumo.gif

Okay... here's the thing...

In fact, there is also a small number of collectors who LIKE name stamps, date stamps, or writing on books that come from an original owner collection because those stamps help identify the books and also lend something of an air of history and evidence of the provenance of each book. I am one of them and several other collectors on these boards feel the same.

OKAY! That is encouraging! How about if I market them with a unique "Collection" name and provide a certificate of authenticity and mention the small margin stamp while doing the discription rundown along with the collection's history?

cashpoor54

Don't sell anything until you get them slabbed and check www.GPAnalysis.com for appropriate prices!!!!

You are sitting on a gold mine if all of your books are in similar shape to that FF#52.

Just for the heck of it, can we see a scan of the stamp on the first page of that FF 52?

893whatthe.gif

Do NOT sell a single book until you talk to someone about getting them labeled as a pedigree.

If this is collection is legit, one of the CGC graders (Steve or Mark?) can tell you what you need to do from there.

I'm sure someone will need to look at them all in person and determine if they are worthy.

When the collection gets some airtime in the hobby pulps, then offer them at an auction.

It would be nice to see an original owner reap the money they deserve for keeping the books in such nice shape.

sumo.gif

I hate to be the lone pessimist here, devil.gif but one scan does not a pedigree make. sumo.gif And do you guys realize that this same story has been told a hundred times? gossip.gif As they say the "proof is in the pudding." sumo.gif Hardly "history in the making" or "MH3". devil.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

Fantastic Four #52

Somebody was asking for a scan and you asked for this one so here ya go... This is the typical condition of the collection give or take. The waviness is from the bag (but you knew that) All books were gently read, never opened flat or folded backwards. They were stored unbagged for years then one day I opened an Overstreet guide and my interest was renewed. I bagged and boarded at that point. They do lay flat. Will the bidding go higher?

cashpoor54

PS. Thanks for the input from everybody. I guess that this is one of the so called key issues I'll need to get CGC'ed before I auction them off.

893whatthe.gif

If they are all that nice get them slabbed!

If you are cash poor then get the ones you want to sell sabbed first and sell those to fund the slabbing of the rest.

893whatthe.gif

sumo.gif

I hate to be the lone pessimist here, devil.gif but one scan does not a pedigree make. sumo.gif And do you guys realize that this same story has been told a hundred times? gossip.gif As they say the "proof is in the pudding." sumo.gif Hardly "history in the making" or "MH3". devil.gif

I have a hard time believing it would be true, but *IF* it is, I want the guy to be warned.

It's the same message I would give anyone in a similar situation.

It's quite possible that this is not what it appears to be, but in the event it is...I want the guy to get his piece of the pie.

Can a collection like this exist? Yes.

The Burntboy collection comes to mind.

If this is not a scam, I want this guy to reap the benefit of his forsight to take care of his books.

Take for instance the "Mile High" pedigree...Chuck is famous for the collection of a lifetime. Why? What the [!@#%^&^] did Chuck do?

Chuck didn't take care of these books when they were worthless.

Chuck didn't have the forsight to keep these books in pristine condition when they were looked at as trash and clutter.

I'll tell you what he did...He scammed a family out of a fortune in comics.

He didn't even have the money to scam it away from them, so he had to con some other guys into lending him the money to buy it.

If I can prevent this guy from falling prey to a scumbag that would scam him out of his books, then good for me.

893applaud-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif

sumo.gif

I have a hard time believing it would be true, but *IF* it is, I want the guy to be warned.

It's the same message I would give anyone in a similar situation.

It's quite possible that this is not what it appears to be, but in the event it is...I want the guy to get his piece of the pie.

Can a collection like this exist? Yes.

The Burntboy collection comes to mind.

If this is not a scam, I want this guy to reap the benefit of his forsight to take care of his books.

Take for instance the "Mile High" pedigree...Chuck is famous for the collection of a lifetime. Why? What the [!@#%^&^] did Chuck do?

Chuck didn't take care of these books when they were worthless.

Chuck didn't have the forsight to keep these books in pristine condition when they were looked at as trash and clutter.

I'll tell you what he did...He scammed a family out of a fortune in comics.

He didn't even have the money to scam it away from them, so he had to con some other guys into lending him the money to buy it.

If I can prevent this guy from falling prey to a scumbag that would scam him out of his books, then good for me.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow, that's a bit of an overstatement.

Edgar Church's family didn't WANT the books. They hated Edgar's collection and considered it to be junk, just like his artwork that they tossed in the trash, which fortunately, Chuck saved.

While it is indisputable that Chuck made out very well on that deal, the bottom line is that the people who got the money from the deal weren't the ones who stored and loved those comics for decades either. They were Edgar's family, who cared only about clearing the house out of junk so that they could sell the house because the neighborhood was becoming "too Mexican" and they wanted to get rid of the house before prices dropped.

I am supposed to feel sorry for these people? Chuck paid as much as he could afford for the books. In fact, he paid way more than he could afford for them, as he was a young kid without a lot of resources.

While I have no problem with people ripping into Chuck for his overgrading and overpricing of books and his "I saved the comic industry" BS, I get steamed when people say that he ripped off Edgar Church's family. They were scumbags who were lucky that they got anything, since they were just going to toss most of it in the garbage. 893frustrated.gif

I am not saying anything about this collector in particular.

But:

I have to believe that most of the people (collectors) that get to this board, KNOW SOMETHING about comic books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In other words, I seriously doubt that someone posting on these boards would just sell their entire collection without at least getting a better understanding of what they own.

No qualms there, but . . . let's see the scan of AF #15, (not a borrowed scan 893naughty-thumb.gif) and somehow authenticated 893scratchchin-thumb.gif - perhaps a digital photo of the book, opened to page 1 to show the address stamp? sumo.gif

I am not saying anything about this collector in particular.

But:

I have to believe that most of the people (collectors) that get to this board, KNOW SOMETHING about comic books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In other words, I seriously doubt that someone posting on these boards would just sell their entire collection without at least getting a better understanding of what they own.