• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with Semi-$$ books with detached/split covers?

22 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I just had the opportunity to buy a box full of Sgt. Fury's (1-33+) today at a tremendous deal. Some of the books are really nice, but but the first 4 or 5 or so are 2.0 at best. The #1 would be VG or so IF the cover weren't completely split and separated.

Now I realize this book's standing condition doesn't warrant extravagant restoration, but it bugs me to stick it into a bag in that shape.

Right now, with the cover split, I assume it's in 0.5 (Poor) grade. This is without any tape or other repairs attempted. It's my understanding that tape on grades 2.0 and below doesn't affect the grade (much), and in my case not at all.

Should I contemplate tape it back together since there isn't anything to loose, or are there better techniques I should employ in re-joining the cover?

Ask Matt at Classics Incorporated how much a spine seal would run on that comic.

If you decide to tape it, use an archival document repair tape and tape it on the inside cover. When I'm in situations like yours where it's not cost effective to send the book in for restoration, but you want to stabilize the book that's what I use. It does a good job and when you burnish the tape it's barely noticable.

Ask Matt at Classics Incorporated how much a spine seal would run on that comic.

If you decide to tape it, use an archival document repair tape and tape it on the inside cover. When I'm in situations like yours where it's not cost effective to send the book in for restoration, but you want to stabilize the book that's what I use. It does a good job and when you burnish the tape it's barely noticeable.

Well, as-is the book is worth around $45. Unless a restoration would significantly increase it's value, I doubt I would have it professionally restored.

I don't want to leave it loose as the next guy to take it out of the bag might further damage it. I really want to stabilize for my own piece of mind. Could you provide a link to the type of tape you prefer? (I'm assuming it won't become brittle with age or turn the book brown where it's applied)

If I tape it on the inside, that means any chips missing on the spine will leave exposed tape pointed toward the outside. How do you deal with that?

Upon further inspection, I should mention that the spine edge is very brittle and is missing several 1/8" wide chips. "If" this book were still whole, it would probably be 1.5 tops (or even 1.0). The inside is actually nice though. The remaining edge of the cover is on the brink of making more chips, so I would like to keep those if possible ;)

BTW, I don't like tape either, but if it weren't for the valiant efforts of someone with a roll of tape 30 years ago, I wouldn't own the copy of ASM #2 that I do. Besides the complete recreation in tape of the 1/2 of the first page that's missing, it's the only thing holding the cover together! It's not pretty, but it's all mine...

Hello all,

I just had the opportunity to buy a box full of Sgt. Fury's (1-33+) today at a tremendous deal. Some of the books are really nice, but but the first 4 or 5 or so are 2.0 at best. The #1 would be VG or so IF the cover weren't completely split and separated.

Now I realize this book's standing condition doesn't warrant extravagant restoration, but it bugs me to stick it into a bag in that shape.

Right now, with the cover split, I assume it's in 0.5 (Poor) grade. This is without any tape or other repairs attempted. It's my understanding that tape on grades 2.0 and below doesn't affect the grade (much), and in my case not at all.

Should I contemplate tape it back together since there isn't anything to loose, or are there better techniques I should employ in re-joining the cover?

I can't bring myself to recommend tape. Your Sgt Fury 1 is likely worth more than $45 right now. Very hot book, and plenty of people would pay $100 to own a complete unrestored copy regardless of what it would grade.

Can't guess the grade without pictures, but books with a split spine can do much better than .5. You might find 1.5 within reach.

You cannot get any restoration done for less than $100 - and more like $200-$300. So no financial benefit to restoring this book.

Congrats on a nice find.

I use archival tape for books like yours, especially if the book is for my collection and I don't have plans to sell it. It would make no sense to professionally restore a book like this one, but from what you describe ("spine edge is very brittle"...), even gentle handling and moving of the book in and out of bags is probably going to make the spine worse. Handling fragile books with split covers is not much fun, and discreet tape on the inside will make the book feel solid again.

If I tape it on the inside, that means any chips missing on the spine will leave exposed tape pointed toward the outside. How do you deal with that?

Rather than slathering on strips of tape inside, I would custom-cut smaller pieces of it to avoid having any tape show from the outside where chips are missing.

Don't put tape on that book.

If the cover being detached bothers you that much, sell it to someone who would appreciate it as it is and go buy a different copy that will churn your butter.

Sure, it's a low grade copy. But it has good eye appeal for a low grade copy. The central cover image is in nice shape.

If you want to get it restored I can certainly understand - preserved and all that. But if you leave it in that mylar bag and backing board and don't take it out/put it back in constantly it probably won't degrade any further either. It's a collectible copy and something to be proud of owning just as it is.