• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ten years Ago......Please grade this Spectacular Spiderman modern.

6 posts in this topic

As you know I've been looking through my moderns looking for stuff to send to CGC. I looked at this comic and saw the date: 1994. I feel old. I can't believe I bought this comic a freaking decade ago. I was only fifteen when I picked this comic up and although I know I read it....it looks virtual untouched.

Is it only worth it to slab key HG moderns? Or is slabbing any HG modern smart cause there is always someone stupid enough to drop hundreds on it?

Anyway I think this comic is at least a 9.6 or higher.

Please let me know what you think the grade is:

spec.jpg

specback.jpg

9.4 or better. Too hard to grade raw books from a scan, especially when the scan is fuzzy. Maybe if you did huge, 300 dpi scans we could make a more accurate estimate, but not from those scans.

It's not so much scanner settings that cause a problem, but rather the poor resizing and JPEG compression control of most consumer level graphics software. It's hard to get good end results with a lot of the freebie/bundled software because you don't have any control over what you're doing. It can be an uphill battle even if you kind of know what you're doing.

Newt - Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like a real nice copy. The reality is, though, that most books from this era (and I own plenty myself) are dollar or quarter bin comics. Unless you're extremely confident a book such as this will come back a 9.8 or 10, you're probably better off spending your money on more comics instead. Unless you get that 10 or ever elusive 9.9, you're not looking at that much of a return on your investment.

With a true modern key, I'd probably be looking for 9.6 or higher if I intended to flip it.

Take care,

-Jim