• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration question, Crime SuspenStories 27

9 posts in this topic

Hi all! I just bought a copy of Crime SuspenStories #27 with a cleanly split spine. The back cover is still hanging on at the bottom staple.

How much (roughly, I know no one can give me a concrete answer) might it cost to get "fixed"? I'm looking to keep it readable and not to "improve" the grade. I hate taking a book apart to read it...>.<

Thanks!

James

I see one person already offered an estimate.$35 seems low - but I mean no disrespect. If that person does resto or has recently had something similar done, great.

I would suggest contacting someone that does restoration and sending them pictures.

On the board here there is

MastrCntrlProgram (also Herorestoration.net)

Ze-man

There are probably more on the forums, my apologies for not listing those I don't know or failed to think of.

You can also google comic book restoration and find several businesses. .

This again is a specific instance where I personally wouldn't be afraid to use archival tape to discreetly seal the cover wrap from the inside. It's basically a $20-or-so reader copy, whether it has tape or not.

Pro restoring the book, even minimally, just isn't going to make any financial sense -- rather than sink even a small amount of money into restoration, better just to find a different copy and sell this one.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. It's a great issue with a great cover! (thumbs u

This again is a specific instance where I personally wouldn't be afraid to use archival tape to discreetly seal the cover wrap from the inside. It's basically a $20-or-so reader copy, whether it has tape or not.

Pro restoring the book, even minimally, just isn't going to make any financial sense -- rather than sink even a small amount of money into restoration, better just to find a different copy and sell this one.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. It's a great issue with a great cover! (thumbs u

Thanks for the input everyone!

Point Five, I've never heard of archival tape before so I looked it up. There are tons of types! Any recommendations on brand/kind? I saw an auction on eBay for something called Filmoplast P90. It looked like the stuff I might need...confused!

I'm on the lookout for a new copy anyway though. I got this one quite cheap, couldn't-turn-down type of price. :)

Thanks!

James

You want Filmoplast P (Not P90). I routinely use it to repair large tears on reader books. If properly applied it is difficult to see.

Ok, thanks for that! It's chaper than the P90, too, :)

Thanks,

James