• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello CGC Boards

82 posts in this topic

Hell, make it easy on yourself and just gouge out your eyeballs ahead of time.

Welcome to the boards!

Words of wisdom indeed.

And thanks for all the welcomes!

We are a community of fools and sages.

The trick is knowing which is which.

After three years, I still haven't figured it out (shrug)

Even the sage can sometimes play the fool, and vice versa.

Welcome to the boards!

Words of wisdom indeed.

I read that quickly and thought savages. Of course I cant read either

Hello all. Been reading/lurking these forums for a few years (they don't get blocked at work, yay) and just never got around to signing up.

I was at the Edmonton show this weekend and ran into some people selling books who suggested I should sign up and I figgered, what the what. Thank you thehumantorch for some very nice FF books (55 & 58), my wife didn't even mind your prices hehe (but I made sure not to buy until after she had spent $$ on all her Doctor Who goodies, it's all about the timing, eh?). By far the best selection of Silver Age at the show. By far the best grades and grading. By far the best pricing (for what I was looking at anyway). I spent a day looking at every FF 55 at the show (my favorite cover of all) before coming back to your booth.

I have...nothing special to add to these boards. Just another guy who buys funny books, who doesn't have a collection to drool over. I'm working on it though.

I used to buy a mess ton of moderns but recently dropped my pull file from 30 or so titles to 8, and who knows how much longer all those will last (Superior Spider-man? Really? Cancelling/restarting Fantastic Four...again?). Dropped all those mutant and avenger titles (except X-Factor, X-Factor rocks the house) and became a Batman/Detective subscriber for the first time. Now that I have that much more "comicspending$$" in the pocket, completing the Fantastic Four run actually looks doable.

Tl;dr = another noobie with nothing special. Looking forward to having a board to post on while I sell insurance (please don't hate me...) :grin:

It was nice to meet you and thanks for the purchases. Best prices and best grading hm might be time to raise our prices.

You had said you lurked here a lot and that's cool but I'm glad you decided to join up. We need more solid boardies who don't think they're special.

Oh I think I'm special, I just prefer to allow others to come to that realization on their own hm

Welcome to the boards! If this site is available at work you will end up spending way too much time here!

Oh, I already do, been using this board as reading material for about 4 years now. I'm just lazy to the extreme and never bothered signing up.

One problem with the boards at work is I can't see any pics. I'll have to wait until the day ends to see what my first day avatar is. I hope it is so awesome my eyes bleed.

Don't get your hopes up! lol

Too late, my hopes are set as high as they are when you see an awesome Craiglist/Kijiji ad for "MINT COMIC".

By the way, all n00bs are required to send a six pack to every member of the 10K and above post club. I'll take Sam Adams Octoberfest please.

:whistle:

Yeah, you'd be lucky to get a broken bottle of Olde English in the mail, intact 6-packs of beer do not make it out of my house, well, intact. :grin:

Welcome to the boards!

Words of wisdom indeed.

Even the sage can sometimes play the fool, and vice versa.

Can you dumb it down a shade for me?

I was going to make a dozen new posts about Walking Dead, but I figured I should save that for day 2 on the boards...

I was going to say welcome to the boards but now I am not so sure.

Just kidding! Welcome :hi:

A little more about my comic collecting history (such as it is) since everyone has been pretty welcoming and such.

Starting reallying collecting comics when I was in high school (like '90-91), getting caught up in X-Men #1, Spider-man #1, X-Force #1, Image, Death of Superman like any other young sucker who knew no better. If it was a #25, #50 and had a shiny cover? Oh yeah, I got 2 of those. My favorite comic, however, was always the GI Joe. I loved the Joes when I was a kid, they were the toys I had while my friends were getting their He-Mans and Transformers, I was getting Joes. Not alot, toys were an extravagance when I was a kid that my mom couldn't afford (except on Christmas when I & my 2 sisters got spoiled rotten).

My favorite comic in those days? GI Joe 121 (or was it 122?) - Destro and the Baroness vs. the Red Ninjas. That comic got read a lot back in the day, it gave my goosebumps when reading every time. Dunno what it was exactly, but that comic had a great story and great art and it had Destro being the bad he always should be. My friends made a lot of fun of me reading GI Joe (but screw them, if reading comics and belonging to the Role Playing Club in High School didn't bother me, then reading GI Joe sure as hell wouldn't). Talking to Larry Hama at Calgary earlier this year was definitely a high point of any convention I've gone to.

Unfortunately most of my comics from then got stolen :( Had some nice ASM (first Black Cat and all her early appearances, I liked the Cat when I was 14 something fierce...especially at night with a sock by the side of the bed...was that TMI?), my Joes and a ton of (the aforementioned shiny covers). Went a good dozen years not buying or reading. The loss of the Joes is what hurt the most, my favorite comics by a landslide and looking at it now, the only ones I was buying back then that are worth a good god damn now. I just can't bring myself to buy the Joes again at the prices they're at now. Even had the Special (MacFarlane issue) that got released after the 155. I never had a 21, but that was the book I drooled at a bit as a kid (a silent issue about Snake Eyes? Brilliant).

Then I met my (now) wife. She got me to go back to buying comics because it was somethign that interested me. I've gotten her hooked on Walking Dead (biggest Zombie fan ever, I got her copies of Word War Z and Zombie Survival Guide signed by Max Brooks for her), she absolutely loved Y and she reads some Fables now and then, all in trade format. She doesn't read single issues.

Nowadays, the Fantastic Four have the first place in my collection and is the series that I look for when I go to shops and cons. All those wonderful Surfer covers and Doom covers :cloud9:

Had some nice ASM (first Black Cat and all her early appearances, I liked the Cat when I was 14 something fierce...especially at night with a sock by the side of the bed...

Don't be surprised If a girl named Mandy starts yelling at you about that.

Had some nice ASM (first Black Cat and all her early appearances, I liked the Cat when I was 14 something fierce...especially at night with a sock by the side of the bed...

So long as I don't offer to mail her the sock when I'm done, I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

Welcome to the boards!

Words of wisdom indeed.

Don't worry. All the people that have figured it out are wrong.

So long as I don't offer to mail her the sock when I'm done, I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

I have to commend you on your use of the term 'something fierce' - which was a common phrase amongst myself and my old friends in relation to the opposite sex. (thumbs u

I have to commend you on your use of the term 'something fierce' - which was a common phrase amongst myself and my old friends in relation to the opposite sex. (thumbs u

Hah, yeah, we used that one quite a bit back in the day and those phrases tend to surface when I write/type.

Welcome to the boards Dalek

Your going to fit in great !!

:)

Is this where I put a "that's what she said" joke?

Check the other topic about *Magnus Beefstroke* for your aswer !

And its still 4 days to friday!

Have fun :)