• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Superman EVER return?

10 posts in this topic

I think it's more true to character than him actually working at the paper.

"Superman is arguably the most powerful person on the planet, but how long can he sit at his desk with someone breathing down his neck and treating him like the least important person in the world?"

I've always thought a guy who could uppercut the entire planet out of orbit and into the sun could find a better job. Unless his working at the paper had some noble cause, why not do something more lucrative, something without a boss, something with more flexible hours?

Peter Parker left the Bugle and works at a science lab so why not?

However, it was that deal with the devil/demon that annoyed everyone when they magically made the marriage disappear.

back in the day ( 1940's ) the newspaper was the best place to get up to date information as to what was happening in the world. When there was a crisis in Los Angeles the news broke over the Teletype and within minutes Clark could pick up the news.

The reporter also gave him the ability to investigate crime and expose it.

He would then slip into the storage closet and change into SUPERMAN and fly to where ever he was needed.

That worked until maybe the 70's when he became a TV reporter since they responded more quickly to news events.

With the Bryne reboot he went back to being a reporter.

Guess now he should be a blogger??

For me it's the 'blogger' stuff:

"He is more likely to start the next Huffington Post or the next Drudge Report than he is to go find someone else to get assignments or draw a paycheck from."

I can't buy Clark/Superman as an ideologue. His ability to do what's right in the moment defines him as Superman. Or used to, anyway.

However, it was that deal with the devil/demon that annoyed everyone when they magically made the marriage disappear.

That whole "Brand New Day" storyline/fiasco just ruined Spider-Man for me. There were many things - in real life and in the storyline - that ruined my love of Spidey. Mephisto appearing in ASM is bad enough. I thought that Joe Q had been doing a decent job up until that point but this was so bad you almost thought he was doing it just to people off. I still don't read ASM. I get my Spidey fix in the Avengers titles.

For me it's the 'blogger' stuff:

"He is more likely to start the next Huffington Post or the next Drudge Report than he is to go find someone else to get assignments or draw a paycheck from."

I can't buy Clark/Superman as an ideologue. His ability to do what's right in the moment defines him as Superman. Or used to, anyway.

:applause::applause::applause:

Sadly, not many people (especially among those who write the character's stories) seem to realize that what makes Superman what he is, is simply the fact that he's supposed to be better than us simple folks.

And not just in a "more powerful than a locomotive" kinda way.

In any case, If one simply wanted to do a "realistic Superman", they'd probably have to do something like what Mark Waid does with Irredeemable.

But that's not Superman. :sumo:

It's like Superman's writers get caught up in today's goofy pop-narratives and don't think it through. Writing a confused anarchistic activist Superman ignores the tiny fact that he's, well, Superman.

Why blog if you could impose your nuttery at will?

An immature Superman feeling so powerless he stands up at his work and gives a speech, publicly whines before quitting, would more likely rise from his desk chair and seize control of the planet.

It's just writing a better looking Darkseid, if they think it through. A confused disenchanted god would probably skip right past all the tissue-twisting and get on with it. His will, his way.

That whole "Brand New Day" storyline/fiasco just ruined Spider-Man for me. There were many things - in real life and in the storyline - that ruined my love of Spidey. Mephisto appearing in ASM is bad enough. I thought that Joe Q had been doing a decent job up until that point but this was so bad you almost thought he was doing it just to people off. I still don't read ASM. I get my Spidey fix in the Avengers titles.

I get my Spidey fix by reading 70s and 80s comics. :cloud9: