• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Slab or not to Slab? Low-Grade keys....

46 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've got a small stack of key books (Hulk #181, DD #1, DD #7, etc...) all in around 4.0-6.0 raw conditon. I would like to sell these books at some point, but am wondering if I would do better to have them slabbed. At these grades, there seems to be quite a bit of contention regarding pricing in raw form. Professional grading would seem to solve this problem. That being said, at these grades, the books aren't really worth more per se, unless someone is willing to pay a small premium for the piece-of-mind a CGC slab offers.

So, should I continue to try to sell raw, or bite the bullet?

I agree - if your goal is to eventually sell them (to upgrade or whatever) slabbing the big keys is worth the money.

I just bought a Giant Size X-Men 1 in 5.5 that I've been looking at for awhile, because I wasn't interested in buying a raw one, have it show up and have there be some sort of issue like torn interior pages, or major spine stress I couldn't see in the scan, etc. Yeah, it's only a couple hundred bucks - but I'm not interested in taking a chance on a couple hundred bucks.

I think there's a market for all slabbed big key books in any grade.

Yep.

I think there is an increasing # of non-bigballer collectors who want to own "keys" in affordable grades, but also want the peace of mind of a slabbed grade & restoration check.

Unless Im buying from someone well respected here on the boards Im only buying slabs when it comes to any book over a couple hundred... which is most mid-grade SA keys.

I just bought a Giant Size X-Men 1 in 5.5 that I've been looking at for awhile, because I wasn't interested in buying a raw one, have it show up and have there be some sort of issue like torn interior pages, or major spine stress I couldn't see in the scan, etc. Yeah, it's only a couple hundred bucks - but I'm not interested in taking a chance on a couple hundred bucks.

It is possible to buy raw keys with a minimum of, or even no, worry or hassle. You just have to buy from reputable dealers. Several of who participate in our little nut house here.

Yep.

I think there is an increasing # of non-bigballer collectors who want to own "keys" in affordable grades, but also want the peace of mind of a slabbed grade & restoration check.

Unless Im buying from someone well respected here on the boards Im only buying slabs when it comes to any book over a couple hundred... which is most mid-grade SA keys.

I've heard more than one person recently talk about buying lower grade keys means they can get more of the ones they want as well rather than just one or two.

I am all about the mid-grade keys... in that exact range.

Best bang for your buck without question. You can find some 6.0's that display very well (look like a 7.0) and pay a fraction of the cost of HG.

Slab em!

Yep.

I've heard more than one person recently talk about buying lower grade keys means they can get more of the ones they want as well rather than just one or two.

I just posted that in some other thread a couple weeks ago.

It's an absolute no brainer to me.

Since May (6 months), I have purchased mostly mid-grade copies of: X-Men #1, DD #1, FF #5, JIM #83, Hulk #1, Hulk #181, Avengers #4, FF #48 and TOS #39 among others.

That's 9 pretty key books I got in pretty decent grades that all display really nicely. It was either buy all 9 of those in the mostly 4.0-7.0 grade or buy 1 to 3 at 9.0+. NO QUESTION in my mind I made the right choice. None.

Yep.

Since May (6 months), I have purchased mostly mid-grade copies of: X-Men #1, DD #1, FF #5, JIM #83, Hulk #1, Hulk #181, Avengers #4, FF #48 and TOS #39 among others.

That's 9 pretty key books I got in pretty decent grades that all display really nicely. It was either buy all 9 of those in the mostly 4.0-7.0 grade or buy 1 to 3 at 9.0+. NO QUESTION in my mind I made the right choice. None.

A Man after my own heart. I just need another FF1 and I'm all set with the big Marvel keys...I'd rather own them all than one or two in high grade.

I don't think its a question that people are always looking for mid-graded key issues but its a different matter to say that grading these books will get you more money in the long run. For example - lets say you have a hand graded Hulk 181 that you say is a FN and you sell it on E-Bay for lets say $300. If you submitted it to CGC you probably would get a VG or VG+ depending on your grading skill which could be sold for lets say $350 on E-Bay. Is the extra $50 worth the grading cost and time spent? The CGC grading will allow you to sell it in more venues and for more money but the lower the actual grade - the less it makes sense to have it graded. Now if you are listing books for FN and they are grading FN or FN+ then it definetely make sense to get your keys graded.

Let us know how it goes.

Most bang for your buck is to get them graded.

As a buyer, I prefer low to mid grade raw from a reputable dealer that guarantees no restoration.

I am one of those crazy people that like to read their books before getting them slabbed.

Yep.

That was one heck of a buying spree over 6 months. Did you get a new job or unexpected money?

Yep.

That was one heck of a buying spree over 6 months. Did you get a new job or unexpected money?

Sold my hockey card collection

Slab all key books and silver age books. Even in low grade, so when you do sell them there is no questioning the grade.

Just don't slab modern books as you will slow down the books that deserve to be graded properly like Silver Age books.