• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Demise of the Portland Comic Book Show?

8 posts in this topic

The longest running comic book show in Oregon has canceled the usual November show. I think this is pretty well known locally, but some folks appear to be unaware. It's pretty hard to tell if this show is going to survive with Portland playing host to Wonder Northwest , Rose City Comic Con , and now Wizard World.

I'm also not sure how Wizard World will do considering it is having a show in Portland, Oregon the weekend before the Emerald City Comic Con. I personally think ECCC (so far) has a stronger guest roster. I was thinking about doing Wizard World, but now I'm not so certain.

If all the shows were running, it'd look something like this:

February 2013: Wizard World

March 2013: ECCC

April/May 2013: PCBS (Spring show)

May 2013: Wonder Northwest

September 2013: RCCC

November 2013: PCBS (Fall/Winter show)

I personally do not believe Portland can sustain 5 shows in one year. The following was sent out by the PCBS organizer:

This Show Update was posted to our website the 2nd week of August, but some Exhibitors have not checked our site for awhile.

Important Update!

The Rose Quarter is a busy place (as it should be) with basketball & hockey games, concerts, shows, and all sorts of different events. This year we had to wait for the NBA schedule to get an open date that had a good parking rate for attendees and loading/unloading access for the exhibitors. By the time we got this date, it left us with just 97 days to put together a show. The majority of show promoters around the country are able to secure their show dates 9-12 months in advance.

With only three months to plan, we would not be able to devote the hundreds of hours we normally spend carefully putting together our show. It would be almost impossible for us to get travel guests in such a short time frame. This left us with a choice of either a hastily throwing together show or skip doing a show this year.

Since starting the Portland Comic Book Show in 1978, we've always done our best to put on a quality show within an acceptable promotional time-line, exceptional guests, reasonable admission prices and table rates for exhibitors. Trying to put together a show in such a short amount of time would cheat attendees and exhibitors of the quality show experience they have come to know. We've made the very difficult decision to skip hosting a show in 2012 and put our efforts into next years show. The calendar is much more friendlier next year as there are 4 weekends before Thanksgiving in 2013.

We appreciate the 34 years of support from creators, fans, exhibitors and look forward to seeing everyone at next years show.

There is always room for a one day Sunday Portland Comic BOOK Show. The other 2 day shows are geared more towards pop culture, anime, Star Wars, retired wrestlers which is the only way to get attendance high enough to cover costs of running a successful multi-day comicon. The Portland, OR to Seattle, WA corridor has lots of collectors, and a strong economy compared to other US states.

Compare to smaller city of Vancouver, BC that will in 2013 have 2 separate two day comicons, at least 2 separate multi-(3) day anime fests, 7 one day local comicons, 7 pop culture shows, 12 antique/collectible shows, plus weekend flea markets every single year! I am not even counting the sports or non-sports card shows because I don't collect them. :ohnoez:

Comic shows are popping up everywhere! They are like breeding rabbits! :whee:

Yes, they are. There are a couple newer ones here in Connecticut. Unfortunately, CT being sandwiched between Boston and NY gets only smaller, local type shows.

There is always room for a one day Sunday Portland Comic BOOK Show. The other 2 day shows are geared more towards pop culture, anime, Star Wars, retired wrestlers which is the only way to get attendance high enough to cover costs of running a successful multi-day comicon. The Portland, OR to Seattle, WA corridor has lots of collectors, and a strong economy compared to other US states.

Compare to smaller city of Vancouver, BC that will in 2013 have 2 separate two day comicons, at least 2 separate multi-(3) day anime fests, 7 one day local comicons, 7 pop culture shows, 12 antique/collectible shows, plus weekend flea markets every single year! I am not even counting the sports or non-sports card shows because I don't collect them. :ohnoez:

But Vancouver is bigger than Portland. ???