• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

I still like Trimpe's work, but it was probably from my memories as a kid. Looking back I especially liked it when John Severin inked it.

I think a lot of guys like Tuska and Heck really resented the Marvel Method and had a hard time changing their styles to fit it. Tuska's work in particular looks like a completely different artist.

I like Trimpe's work as well, but man could John Severin make anybody look awesome or what?

Yep. They should have used him more than they did.

Severin on Trimpe Hulk might be my favorite. I asked Herb about it in Boston last April, wondering if he thought Severin left too much of his own stamp, but Herb also thought those books looked fantastic.

I loved Trimpe art as a kid, I grew up on his Hulk drawings as Incredible Hulk was the primary title I collected. As I grew up and became an artist myself I could tell his art wasn't technically strong compared to other artists. I find today I look back at those 15-20 cent cover priced Hulks with great fondness, I love how they look.

There's very little comicbook art I don't like. Aside from the poster boy for bad art in Liefeld, I have never liked Erik Larson or Todd McFarlane's work. McFarlane's work actually drove me to drop Incredible Hulk and then Amazing Spider-Man back in the day :(

I didn't like Mcfarlane art at that time either, I found it to be un-necessarily detailed filled with tons of tiny little scratchy lines. I have grown to appreciate it.

Mind explaining what you've grown to appreciate? At the time I thought McFarlane's art had a lot of energy, but aside from that I couldn't find anything else I liked about it (shrug)

I tend to like artists that understand human anatomy and can illustrate it well. It's not easy and I always loved the classic artists that pulled it off. Romita was a personal favorite, and I loved John Buscema's flawlwss renderings, and Gil Kane's flailing poses. And of course, I don't think that there was anything that Kirby or Ditko couldn't get across on a printed page. Nowadays (and I fear I sound old) artists like Humberto Ramos just looks lazy to me, or hopelessly miscast as an artist on a superhero book.

I tend to like artists that understand human anatomy and can illustrate it well. It's not easy and I always loved the classic artists that pulled it off. Romita was a personal favorite, and I loved John Buscema's flawlwss renderings, and Gil Kane's flailing poses. And of course, I don't think that there was anything that Kirby or Ditko couldn't get across on a printed page. Nowadays (and I fear I sound old) artists like Humberto Ramos just looks lazy to me, or hopelessly miscast as an artist on a superhero book.

+1

DG

As an X-Men fan. Two artists stand out for me. John Romita Jr. and Paul Smith. I know a lot of people praise Smith's work on the series. The stories were great, but he drew some of the ugliest faces (Storm especially).

I think it was mentioned already, but JRjr's drawing lines everywhere was disappointing to say the least.

There's very little comicbook art I don't like. Aside from the poster boy for bad art in Liefeld, I have never liked Erik Larson or Todd McFarlane's work. McFarlane's work actually drove me to drop Incredible Hulk and then Amazing Spider-Man back in the day :(

I didn't like Mcfarlane art at that time either, I found it to be un-necessarily detailed filled with tons of tiny little scratchy lines. I have grown to appreciate it.

Mind explaining what you've grown to appreciate? At the time I thought McFarlane's art had a lot of energy, but aside from that I couldn't find anything else I liked about it (shrug)

Composition and his drawings have a strong sense of mood / emotion to them that I find appealing.

Composition and his drawings have a strong sense of mood / emotion to them that I find appealing.

Any chance you could post an example of one you really like?

Any chance you could post an example of one you really like?

There is a lot of his art I do not like, but the ones I have grown to appreciate are:

ASM 300

Spider-man 1

a few of the early spawns ( Issue 1, 2, 5)

Over all, there is more I dis-like than like!

I :luhv:ed McFarlane when I was a kid. These days I look at the old stuff and it doesn't do nearly as much for me. I do still appreciate his few Batman covers:

bat423_12.jpg

Detective_Comics_578.jpg

Detective_Comics_576.jpg

Detective_Comics_577.jpg

Heritage has the original art to at least one of those up for auction. I was just looking at it when I was grabbing the spidey image.

Changing the subject just a hair.

Stan Lee. Is he a decent artist? Is Dr. Strange based on Stan Lee's likeness?

Me, I like McFarlane and Michael Turner.

A decent artist?

100184.jpg

kpeTU.jpg

You be the judge...

As for Dr. Strange being based on his likeness, I can see the resemblance, but seriously doubt it. Many of Ditko's leading men looked similar to Stephen Strange, I think it is just his style.

I think this is pretty cool:

asm1.jpg

Can't believe the price that original piece of art sold for though, 358,000.00 !!!

Honestly, I hate that style of cover ( not just because it's drawn poorly ), it doesn't tell me anything about the book at all.

asm1.jpg

Can't believe the price that original piece of art sold for though, 358,000.00 !!!

Honestly, I hate that style of cover ( not just because it's drawn poorly ), it doesn't tell me anything about the book at all.

Very true, I honestly have never read the book so I have no idea what it is about.

I still think it is drawn well and is one of McFarlane's best. Interesting tidbit: this is the very book that drove me out of collecting comics back in the 90's. I used to be a completionist, and i walked into the LCS to pick up my file and there were something like 7-8 different copies of this book.

I just don't get Mike Mignola. I really like the genre in wich most of his books are set, but I just can't get past the art. Not just him, but most the artist on Hellboy or BPRD.

I can't speak to GA/SA/BA because I just recently got into collecting them.

Spider-Man #1 original art

Very true, I honestly have never read the book so I have no idea what it is about.

I still think it is drawn well and is one of McFarlane's best. Interesting tidbit: this is the very book that drove me out of collecting comics back in the 90's. I used to be a completionist, and i walked into the LCS to pick up my file and there were something like 7-8 different copies of this book.

I appreciate that McFarlane's style has a graphic impact, but I'm distracted by the preponderance of inaccuracies in that drawing.