• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

Exempt (thumbs u

17042-2960-18979-1-spider-woman_super.jpg

He was 68 years old when he did that. Seriously.

To be fair, that cover looks a lot more Leialoha than Infantino.

To be fair you may be right, but it's a favorite so that's why I picked it.

It's all good, I like it too :foryou:

Me too. I think it's amazing that he could do something like that at the age of 68!

Even with the incredibly under rated Leialoha inking him.

Maybe in 20 years people will give Neal Adams credit for his current work...which he's doing at 71 :)

They should. His writing, probably not so much.

He's a pretty spry 71 though, he may have people fooled.

The CGC boards must feast on the anger and strife of its members. Continue to feed your master you loyal syncophants. :baiting:

Go back to the whiny thread you started upstairs. We're talking some serious artsy fartsiness up in here :slapfight:

I can't believe how worked up Adam Hughes got over that flipped sketch! How lame of him!!

I suppose if someone got you to do something for them, by lying to you, that you might not have done for them otherwise or you would have charged a good deal of money for...only to discover that they weren't honest and were using you as their personal ATM machine it might make you less inclined to let that happen again.

But maybe not.

I can't believe how worked up Adam Hughes got over that flipped sketch! How lame of him!!

I suppose if someone got you to do something for them, by lying to you, that you might not have done for them otherwise or you would have charged a good deal of money for...only to discover that they weren't honest and were using you as their personal ATM machine it might make you less inclined to let that happen again.

But maybe not.

Man, I'm totally teasing you. I got a little taste of what it's like, and have a lot more sympathy for the fella.

I don't particularly care for most of the comic art out there. While I could probably come up with a list of those I really don't like, I find the bulk of it just too uninteresting to actively hate on. There's a lot out there which is technically competent, but I just find kind of boring, including fan faves like Byrne and Perez.

Just curious, but I'm interested in knowing who you like?

R.Crumb, Alex Toth, Jack Kirby, Frank Frazetta, Johnny Craig, Dan Clowes, Mike Mignola, Steve Ditko, Bill Everett, Jack Cole, L.B. Cole, Kim Dietch, Carl Barks, Boody Rogers, Russ Heath, Joe Kubert, Michael Allred, Eric Powell, Al Williamson, Robert Williams, Peter Bagge, Thomas Ott, Richard Sala, Alex Shomburg, Wally Wood, Joe Maneely, Spain Rodriguez, Neal Adams, Kyle Baker, Guy Davis, Basil Wolverton, Herge, Jaques Tardi, Jordi Bernet, Charles Burns, Roy Tompkins, Michael Lark, Mark Schultz, Mark Martin, Matt Baker, Jack Davis, Robert Armstrong, Kaz, Jack Burnely, Mort Meskin, Moebius, Darwyn Cooke, Bernie Wrightson, Harvey Kurtzman, Rick Altergott, Frank Quitely, Sean Phillips and probably a hundred more not even counting comic strip artists.

But still a drop in the bucket compared to all the dross put out over the last 80 years.

Exempt (thumbs u

Actually, Carmine was born in 1925, and this book was published in 1978. so that would have made him 53, not 68.

While the composition is strong, it looks like Steve Leialoha heavily influenced the final look of this cover.

Exempt (thumbs u

Actually, Carmine was born in 1925, and this book was published in 1978. so that would have made him 53, not 68.

While the composition is strong, it looks like Steve Leialoha heavily influenced the final look of this cover.

Who knows if he even designed the cover. I know Ed Hannigan designed a ton of covers for other artists around this time at Marvel (shrug)

[quote=jjonahjameson1

I dunno about this...If you had Romita Sr and McFarlane side by side at a show, I think McFarlane would have the bigger lineup.

And if "The SItuation" or "Snooki" were set up next to them the lines for the Jersey Shorians would be 10 times as long.

The great thing and the popular thing only rarely intersect.

True, Chris. As you know, I have a strong appreciation for both artists' work on Spidey, and if they were side by side at a show, I would be in the McFarlane line. Both played a strong role in defining the look and feel of Spidey during their respective runs on the title, and I think both are great in their own regard.

I'd stopped reading it by then, but seeing Mark Bagley's work on ASM from #345 on made me quite sure I had no interest in returning. Childish, cartoonish, horribly proportioned, lumpy, boney figures. I assumed the content had been dumbed down to match the art.

ultimate-spider-man.jpg

Yuck. Give me Ditko or the artist of my era, Ron Frenz. Realistic anatomy and dynamic storytelling. Of course it was Todd that drove me away in the first place.

I happen to like Mark Bagley's Spider-man.

97111.jpg

I'd stopped reading it by then, but seeing Mark Bagley's work on ASM from #345 on made me quite sure I had no interest in returning. Childish, cartoonish, horribly proportioned, lumpy, boney figures. I assumed the content had been dumbed down to match the art.

ultimate-spider-man.jpg

Yuck. Give me Ditko or the artist of my era, Ron Frenz. Realistic anatomy and dynamic storytelling. Of course it was Todd that drove me away in the first place.

97111.jpg

So do I. I didn't think he was great on ASM, but his work on USM was really good, I thought. Fit the book nicely.

I dunno about this...If you had Romita Sr and McFarlane side by side at a show, I think McFarlane would have the bigger lineup.

And if "The SItuation" or "Snooki" were set up next to them the lines for the Jersey Shorians would be 10 times as long.

True, Chris. As you know, I have a strong appreciation for both artists' work on Spidey, and if they were side by side at a show, I would be in the McFarlane line. Both played a strong role in defining the look and feel of Spidey during their respective runs on the title, and I think both are great in their own regard.

Went to Wizard World Austin on Friday and there were 0 people in Neal Adams line when I went up. Yet 5 or 6 people in line for Humberto Ramos (Went right at open on Friday.)

Went to Wizard World Austin on Friday and there were 0 people in Neal Adams line when I went up. Yet 5 or 6 people in line for Humberto Ramos (Went right at open on Friday.)

Neal Adams is always at every show, terribly expensive, and not always super friendly if you're not buying something.

ultimate-spider-man.jpg

97111.jpg

I didn't care for Bagley until Ultimate Spider-Man. When I read it, I thought he was perfect for it and was glad to see that he stayed on so long.

Neal Adams is always at every show, terribly expensive, and not always super friendly if you're not buying something.

In Dallas this past May, he had a steady line all day, never particularly long, but always at least 3-5 people.

I met him in a cafe the morning before the first day of the show. I watched him trying to juggle his portfolios and other stuff while trying to help himself to some coffee. I noticed that he had walked into the cafe despite several open parking spaces so I assumed he was afoot. I approached and asked if he was walking to the show. He said dryly, "No, I'm flying." I reminded myself he's a yankee and probably considered that to be humor. I offered him and his entourage a ride to the show which was a mile or two away and everything changed. He was suddenly very friendly and appreciative but said that the hotel had a ride arranged for them.

He was very nice to me all day. I worked in DWC's booth which was right next to his, so I got to see him work on a few sketches and we chatted a couple of times through the day.

But maybe not.

Man, I'm totally teasing you. I got a little taste of what it's like, and have a lot more sympathy for the fella.

lol you got me.