• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

Yeah I remember a lot of marvel books suddenly were cross hatched to death. Darkhawk for example was great for awhile then...

http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/data/media/344/darkhawk-1-s.jpg

to

http://www.tias.com/stores/phillipdpritchard/pictures/11com00424a.jpg

same artist....

Yeah I don't like that style. It wasn't just Marvel either. It made everything look metallic, even flesh. I didn't know it was called crosshatching, I usually like crosshatching

bagge1.jpg

Kinda like wood etching, or whatever they call it.

Didn't read the whole thread, but here are my thoughts....

Sal Buscema - His latter Spectacular Spidey run (late 80's-early 90's) just terrible.

Steve Dillon - Loved Preacher, but his art was a bit stiff. The awesomeness of the book gives him a pass. I didn't hate his stuff, but it wasn't great.

Mike Mignola - never "got" his stuff. I know people love him, but it never really worked for me.

Steve Ditko ASM - when he was on, it was fantastic (#17 and #23 cover, 31-33). Some of the other stuff though is pretty goofy. I think Romita was far superior.

Charlie Adlard - Walking Dead. I love the book, but even after all the time he's been on it, everyone looks the same. This book is 99.9% story driven.

Didn't read the whole thread, but here are my thoughts....

Steve Ditko ASM - when he was on, it was fantastic (#17 and #23 cover, 31-33). Some of the other stuff though is pretty goofy. I think Romita was far superior.

Ditko's work suffers mightily in reprints. The delicacy of his line is just lost. To top it off, when the original pages were not to be found, his work was traced and reinked for Marvel Masterworks and the Omnibus. ohdannyboy.blogspot

I feel that Ditko is a masterful storyteller. Whether it be in the symbolic splash, a page of action or a conversation between supporting characters, he maintains full control over the pace and emotional development of the story. Sometimes I think that Stan Lee had to run at full tilt to keep up with the flow and sweep of Ditko's creative imagination.

ASM9Feb64p1.jpg

ASM22p1.jpg

ASM22P13cu.jpg

GwenASM31.jpg

ASM33p5.jpg

His Doctor Strange work is equally worthy of acclaim.

ST134p2.jpg

ST131p6.jpg

ST139p10.jpg

No matter how beat up the copy, his work is best served in the original packaging. :sumo:

I don't particularly care for most of the comic art out there. While I could probably come up with a list of those I really don't like, I find the bulk of it just too uninteresting to actively hate on. There's a lot out there which is technically competent, but I just find kind of boring, including fan faves like Byrne and Perez.

I always liked Ditko's work on Spidey. Dr. Strange was a bit to strange for me, and I remember Shade the changing man was...... yawn

I don't particularly care for most of the comic art out there. While I could probably come up with a list of those I really don't like, I find the bulk of it just too uninteresting to actively hate on. There's a lot out there which is technically competent, but I just find kind of boring, including fan faves like Byrne and Perez.

Just curious, but I'm interested in knowing who you like?

Mike Mignola - never "got" his stuff. I know people love him, but it never really worked for me.

More wood etching - I :luhv: Mignola's stuff....,

Just curious, but I'm interested in knowing who you like?

:gossip:coins

How could we not mention Greg Land?

The first time I saw his work I was blown away. However, after seeing more of his work I noticed that almost every character looks essentially the same and he seemed to be tracing most of characters directly from movies, magazines, etc.

Not exact but I have always wondered if Sabretooth's head was modeled after this. That would make this cover a double swipe. I mean hey he changed a few strands of of hair on the girls head so it wasn't exact. There may even be a more exact image of Triple H some place else.He has used Triple H's outstretched arm pose many time including Thor with his hammer...which is Triple H with his sledge hammer.

wolv_land_55.jpg

l.jpg

I love painted comics! Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists. Elektra Assasin and Moby were awesome. I loved the switch to an original style. As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out....

The father of the graphic novel? Will Eisner and Gil Kane are laughing in their graves...

:roflmao:

Humberto Ramos.

Thread closed, none are worse.

Yeah, he's bad. I think he has finally given up the spider man flippers

and hot dog fingers which is a move in the right direction.

I would like to add Eric Canete as well. What a turd!

131280.jpg

:P

Wow...just beyond horrible.

How could we not mention Greg Land?

The first time I saw his work I was blown away. However, after seeing more of his work I noticed that almost every character looks essentially the same and he seemed to be tracing most of characters directly from movies, magazines, etc.

Not exact but I have always wondered if Sabretooth's head was modeled after this.

It's common knowledge that Land lightboxes (copies) his art from models and actors.

The finished product is terrific but it's not all freehand.

No matter how beat up the copy, his work is best served in the original packaging. :sumo:

My appreciation for Ditko grows as I age, much like it does for good booze.

When I was younger, I was never a Ditko fan. I can now see how talented he was at telling a story.

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

You've posted that single panel before, haven't you?

Canete is a friggin genius and the sum total of his body of work is pretty damn impressive.

Anyone can render a panel that isn't pablum to the drooling masses, not just anyone can create they way Eric does.

PROVE IT!

lol

anyway, I am just not a fan of his style - too cartoony for my tastes...

he did a ASM cover featured Deadpool that was funny (because of the concept

and the fact that his style is commercial), but that's all I'll give him.

This isn't cartoony, this is just bad. I'm not a member of the "tights and boobs" crowd, I really enjoy a variety of art but this is terrible.

Spider-man's left hip has to be dislocated at best,and it looks like he has the leg joints of a dog, the all seem to go the wrong way. His left arm has a minimum of two elbows. His right forearm is more than twice as long as his upper arm and that's with what the artist is pretending to be foreshortening. Also, that right arm hangs about one and a half hands' length past the the buttocks which is impressive (and impossible) after running down his back. Is that six fingers on the right hand? What is the continuity between the inlaid panel and the main panel? Is it the same entity under the mask? Because the one in the smaller panel appears to be human, the one in the larger panel is clearly a horse.

Are they fighting under the St. Louis Arch? Even if they are, why are all of the building arched?

Alex Maleev's artwork offended me when he used Robert DeNiro as a photo reference for Sub-Mariner. Plus, neither the linework or layouts are appealing.

I want to see that artwork.

namor_deniro.jpg

Of course! When I think Namor, I think DeNiro.

I can see the DeNiro influence, but I immediately thought of Moloch from Watchmen.

131339.jpg.49fcb82008bd3ecc3f637740025db3e7.jpg

Humberto Ramos.

131280.jpg

You've posted that single panel before, haven't you?

Canete is a friggin genius and the sum total of his body of work is pretty damn impressive.

Anyone can render a panel that isn't pablum to the drooling masses, not just anyone can create they way Eric does.

PROVE IT!

lol

anyway, I am just not a fan of his style - too cartoony for my tastes...

he did a ASM cover featured Deadpool that was funny (because of the concept

and the fact that his style is commercial), but that's all I'll give him.

This isn't cartoony, this is just bad. I'm not a member of the "tights and boobs" crowd, I really enjoy a variety of art but this is terrible.

Spider-man's left hip has to be dislocated at best,and it looks like he has the leg joints of a dog, the all seem to go the wrong way. His left arm has a minimum of two elbows. His right forearm is more than twice as long as his upper arm and that's with what the artist is pretending to be foreshortening. Also, that right arm hangs about one and a half hands' length past the the buttocks which is impressive (and impossible) after running down his back. Is that six fingers on the right hand? What is the continuity between the inlaid panel and the main panel? Is it the same entity under the mask? Because the one in the smaller panel appears to be human, the one in the larger panel is clearly a horse.

Are they fighting under the St. Louis Arch? Even if they are, why are all of the building arched?

In all honesty, stick figures would be better than this. It gets to a point where the art is so distracting that the comic is essentially unreadable. If you are staring at the art thinking "WTF!" instead of reading, then they need a different artist.

DG