• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Comics

12 posts in this topic

Hi all you Golden Age collectors full of knowledge,

:applause:

I have never read ANY of the Golden age Cap comics. I was wondering if these are decent reads or not? I read modern comics still to this day and have basically been collecting since 1989 with a few years off in the horrible 90's "Aluminum age." lol

I enjoy reading silver age comics and always have so "campy" story telling does not bother me at all.

Also, is there any place on line where I can read the 1st issue? I know how the origin goes but would like to at least read the original story.....maybe own a copy one day! :insane: Yeah right, that is and will be always WAY out of my league.

Thanks in advance to any and all answers as well as any responses.

Eric -- HAMMERHEAD

The first 10 issues are by Simon and Kirby, so they're good reads. There is a slight drop-off in quality after they left, but it's still pretty good. After the war years, there's another drop-off in quality as the villains are no longer Nazis and Japanese, but gangsters and criminals.

There are 5 volumes so far of the Golden Age Captain America Masterworks, and volume 6 is due out on Dec 12. Each reprints 4 issues, so volume 6 will take your through issue 24.

There also 2 volume set from the 90s called Captain America: The Classic Years, which reprints the first 10 issues. It was printed in both hardcover and softcover versions.

:headbang: [font:Impact]Cap rules! [/font] ca.gif

I'm not especially impressed with the Masterworks art and color reproduction for GA material (exception: the oversized Marvel Mystery Omnibus), but these are an excellent place to access reading copies of early Timely fare. (thumbs u

IMO Cap is by far the most readable of the big three Timely characters.

Everett Sub-mariner stories?????

Oh yeah, I forgot about those!! I wanted to read them at one point too. Are they any good? Are there big collections reprinted?

IMO Cap is by far the most readable of the big three Timely characters.

Everett Sub-mariner stories?????

I love his art, but the stories are just not that great. (But they're better than the Human Torch...)

My 2cents. Cap and Marvel Mystery have the better Timely stories, although they do drop quality later in the run. I can't even read a Human Torch title cover to cover they are so bad. caveat - I like the art and covers - esp Schomburg (who doesn't?)

As was said the Marvel Masterworks have moderate to low quality repo on art, but given the cost and rarity of originals it is a no brainer to pick them up for readers.

I actually like the later Captain America stuff, it has some of the spirit of the Atlas books of the fifties.

lol So I am not the only one who can't read those Human Torch stories ... if you can call those stories :P

I haven't read a lot of Torch stories, but I always liked the one that was reprinted in Jules Feiffer's Great Comic Book Heroes(the Torch versus the Hag).

Timely had plenty of great splashes in the war years, and the stories have a crude charm in small doses, but they are pretty redundant and poorly written for the most part. The Simon & Kirby Cap stories are definitely better than most of Timely's output, and there is an interesting story here and there ( Cap battling the Red Skull in hell in Cap #74), but as much as I love the covers, Timley's are barely readable.

It's telling that DC mined their GA inventory far more intensively than Marvel in the early 70s when young collectors started showing a strong interest in the roots of both companies. I think the folks at Marvel new most of the stuff was third rate and would bore fans.