• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What books are the most overrated/overvalued in your opinion?

374 posts in this topic

Personally I feel Pep 22 is both overrated and over valued. While Archie was popular for many years, his character has faded considerably since the 1980s. I would think books like Walt Disney comics & stores 1, and Looney Tunes 1 would also pick up steam with Pep 22, but that is not the case.

Or is it just rarity? What was the Gerber rating on Pep 22?

What books do you think are overvalued?

Maybe the actual 'character' has faded but I don't think the continuity of the characters and supporting casts from the series has at all.

In fact, I think the 'series' may be as popular as ever.

At the NYCC, the Archie booth was packed with pre-teens, teens and adults...

Actual I think PRE-ROBIN 'TECS are waaaaaay overvalued and should be brought down to a level where I can afford them! lol

Actually, I think Looney Tunes #1 is possibly overvalued. But I say that as somebody who doesn't have a copy but wants one, which makes my opinion suspect. In general, though, Looney Tunes is a dirt cheap book- I've picked up dozens of issues in solid mid-grade condition for almost nothing; and got both 6 and 8 for under $100 each; to say nothing of a batch of 8 issues from 15-24 for about $100 the lot. So looking at $1500-$2000 for a low-grade copy of #1 seems out of whack with the rest of the run; particularly since it's not actually the first appearance of anybody of note other than Mary Jane. I understand valuing a book as the first comic appearance of a character, but not to the degree the LT #1 is.

Maybe there's something I'm missing. I guess I don't think the book is so much overvalued as disproportionate with the other issues of the title.

More Fun Comics #53 and Adventure Comics #72 and #73 always come to mind when I think of books that are too high in the guide. I submit price reductions on these each year to Overstreet in my annual report/analysis.

More Fun Comics #53 and Adventure Comics #72 and #73 always come to mind when I think of books that are too high in the guide. I submit price reductions on these each year to Overstreet in my annual report/analysis.

Most of the DC GA keys are overvalued (non Supe/Bat/WW). Particularly All American 16 and Flash 1.

Personally I feel Pep 22 is both overrated and over valued. While Archie was popular for many years, his character has faded considerably since the 1980s. I would think books like Walt Disney comics & stores 1, and Looney Tunes 1 would also pick up steam with Pep 22, but that is not the case.

Or is it just rarity? What was the Gerber rating on Pep 22?

What books do you think are overvalued?

In the case of Pep 22, rarity has a lot to do with it. It's news here when a copy turns up, regardless of condition. WDC&S 1 and Looney Tunes 1 are much more readily available.

Most of the DC GA keys are overvalued (non Supe/Bat/WW). Particularly All American 16 and Flash 1.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but not the two books you mentioned. Those books bring real money in all grades, especially AA16.

But DC keys like All-Flash 1, Adventure 48, Adventure 61, the ones Ciorac mentioned, Star-Spangled 1, Leading 1, Boy Commandos 1, More Fun 55, Comic Cavalcade 1, World's Fair 1939 and 1940, and World's Best 1 are all tough sells in low/mid grade at guide, but sell well at a discount to guide.

I think the value of MF#53 is driven purely on the fact that its so darn tough to find, especially unrestored.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but not the two books you mentioned. Those books bring real money in all grades, especially AA16.

But DC keys like All-Flash 1, Adventure 48, Adventure 61, the ones Ciorac mentioned, Star-Spangled 1, Leading 1, Boy Commandos 1, More Fun 55, Comic Cavalcade 1, World's Fair 1939 and 1940, and World's Best 1 are all tough sells in low/mid grade at guide, but sell well at a discount to guide.

That doesn't mean they're not overvalued. They were B-level characters then, and they're D-level now. Someday that will catch up to them. In the case of Flash, it probably already has.