• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man new artist

18 posts in this topic

Here is a cover of a up coming issue of Amazing S. #512 and WOW ,if there was one thing that disappointed me about most of J.R.Jr was the lack of action scene on the covers.what do think of the new artist... thumbsup2.gif

amazingspiderman512.jpg

So refreshing to have Deodato on the title after Romita Jr.

I do notice of the last few year's on some of marvel covers they seem to be happy enough to showcase the main character in a GQ pose and thats it.Now maybe they will show a snapshot of the scene from the story on the cover to better communicate what this issue is about. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do notice of the last few year's on some of marvel covers they seem to be happy enough to showcase the main character in a GQ pose and thats it.Now maybe they will show a snapshot of the scene from the story on the cover to better communicate what this issue is about. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

right. At first it was a good idea, made for cleaner covers in classic poses and situations not lcuttered or complicated by trying to tell a story inside. But I like those too. Lets face it, we're gonna buy th etitles we read anyway, so what difference does it make WHAT they put on the cover? Might as well be a big issue number!

What bothers me most is that after so many comics and so many years I often cant spot the new issues on the stands without the NEW THIS WEEK signs!!!

right. At first it was a good idea, made for cleaner covers in classic poses and situations not lcuttered or complicated by trying to tell a story inside. But I like those too. Lets face it, we're gonna buy th etitles we read anyway, so what difference does it make WHAT they put on the cover? Might as well be a big issue number!

What bothers me most is that after so many comics and so many years I often cant spot the new issues on the stands without the NEW THIS WEEK signs!!!

Remember Stan "the Man" Lee say in an interview that when he first got into comics you had to catch the potential readers to buy your magazine back when,it had it catch the eyes of that customer right from the get go.Bright colours,and explosive visuals are thing I like on a comic cover.

I read 509......I'm tearing my hair out waiting for issue 510 to come out. I havent been this excited about Spiderman since the early 90s when Larson and bagley were the artists. JRJR's recent art hasn't done it for me.....his 1980s stuff wasn't that bad though.

You can have the best writting....but if you have a crappy artrist it just doesn't deliever. I feel the last couple years of spiderman may have been better if they had just had the balls to hire a new artist. JRJR is not his father....not by a long shot.

if there was one thing that disappointed me about most of J.R.Jr was the lack of action scene on the covers.

To be fair, I don't think that was Romita Jr's fault. Marvel seemed to have a 'pin-up only' cover policy for a while, it looks like thay may have changed it now. Great start from Deodato. thumbsup2.gif

Judging from the ankles and feet of the villain on the left, I'd say he attended the Liefeld school of art at some time (although I did like his Hulk).

He was actually associated with the Image style back in the early-mid 90s when he worked on the Avengers, Thor, and then the Hulk (before his last stint). I always liked his art back then even though at times he went for the spalsh page poses so popular at the time. His work has grown since and I think he's one of the best out there right now.....his Hulk was great..... 893applaud-thumb.gif

A typical Avengers page from way back....

deodatoart.JPG

Jim

I posted this a while back but here it is again. I asked Scott Hanna about these canned covers and he said they were there result of having to get the cover art Diamond before the plot gets far enough along to have an idea of what each issue is going to be about. confused-smiley-013.gif

Very good point. I noticed with the recent issues of Thor that they could have easily leveraged some good stories and villains on the cover but instead they choose to just show Thor striking a pose. The covers still look good but its almost like the artist did a bunch of drawings one day and in a effort to save time, just picks one from the database and slaps it on the next issue.