• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staple question .

12 posts in this topic

Posted this on the PGM but maybe someone here can help ...

This is the canadian printing of gangbusters 3 . Real HTF .

The cut is off, but that can be normal for Canadian books.

But the thing that is driving me crazy are the staples. There are 2 different ones.

Now I know people replace staple but not on a lower priced book. and I cant see any reason to do it. there is also no evidence of the staple being replaced that I can see.

Any thoughts ?

Thor

gangbustersfc-1.jpg[/img]

gangbustersbc-1.jpg[/img]

staple1.jpg[/img]

staple2.jpg[/img]

That looks like a married & trimmed cover to me. If a book is miscut, it's usually the whole book - not one piece or the other. Comics are assembled & stapled before being trimmed.

I don't think the top staple is a manufacturing error. It's not a double-staple. The one staple is carefully laid inside the other - as if it's reinforcing a popped centerfold. Is the paper split under the top staple?

As for why someone would do it on a cheap book - there is an older fellow who has a booth at my local antique mall. He has no qualms about "repairing" books with popped covers or centerfolds. That fact, even more than his overgrading, stopped me from buying there.

Ryan

As for why someone would do it on a cheap book - there is an older fellow who has a booth at my local antique mall. He has no qualms about "repairing" books with popped covers or centerfolds. That fact, even more than his overgrading, stopped me from buying there.

Repair and restoration is common in the antiques business. I spoke to an auctioneer before a mostly automotive action who said that a gentleman from Niagara Falls had done extensive work on the gas pumps and jukeboxes that were up for sale. I don't know what shape they were in before, but they looked fabulous. The repairs were disclosed, and they sold nicely, albeit not for top dollar.

As long as your guy sells them as restored books, I don't mind. He's an amateur, so I'd still take them as long as he prices them at the pre-restored price. If a pro does the work, that's worth a little something extra.

t.. but why replace a staple on an "inexpensive " book ?

This question pops up from time to time with many restoration techniques. Why restore a cheap book? Because it IS cheap and people need to practice. You don't begin resto experiments on an AF 15 or an Action 1. You start them on inexpensive books that represent various ages and publishers.

I would definitely say the 2 staples intertwined are the originals. Apparently someone believed that extra staple would help reinforce and help it bind the book more securely. The other staple is not even the same type and is much newer. For sure an interesting find.

As it's a Canadian version of a American book --- do the contents match the cover?

I haven't read a history of the period for awhile but could the poor cover attachment be a factor of Americans shipping the printing plates to Canada after the American printings (the comic book embargo) and newer covers being attached post-production to older contents so that the books look current for the newsstand?