• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opening and reusing a CGC holder

48 posts in this topic

Did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to buy a cheap CGC graded book and just use the holder for protection on a non CGC'd book I own. Is it possible to crack open a CGC case and close it again? Are there any instructions anywhere on how to do this?

Yes, you can.

It's also a terrific opportunity to switch the label to a higher grade, SS, or an attractive plaid pattern.

That's right. I'm going with the 'Orange Label' Dr. Balls Graded Series on my original JSC sketch cover I'm getting:

orangelabel.jpg

Nice!

But I need numbers in a box.

It makes the comic more valuable.

An 11.0 would be nice since it's possible to get higher than a 4.0 grade point average in high school now.

How's this?

orangelabel2.jpg

Awesome! bananaheadbanger.gif

As for swapping comics, it's a lot harder to mess with the inner case than it is with the outer ... and even the outer should reveal tampering pretty easily.

This is why I'm not worried about giving these to someone. You can tell they've been opened because at least one of the posts is broken, but they'd make fine storage containers.

Personally, I've been worried about people swapping labels since the label isn't sealed into the inner well, but I think it would be pretty hard to do it cleanly with no signs of tampering.

Ryan

As for swapping comics, it's a lot harder to mess with the inner case than it is with the outer ... and even the outer should reveal tampering pretty easily.

This is why I'm not worried about giving these to someone. You can tell they've been opened because at least one of the posts is broken, but they'd make fine storage containers.

Personally, I've been worried about people swapping labels since the label isn't sealed into the inner well, but I think it would be pretty hard to do it cleanly with no signs of tampering.

Ryan

That thought crossed my mind - however, I realized that the chances of me buying a book that would be worth swapping the label out on is pretty low. I mean, counterfeiters don't print $1 bills...

Did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to buy a cheap CGC graded book and just use the holder for protection on a non CGC'd book I own. Is it possible to crack open a CGC case and close it again? Are there any instructions anywhere on how to do this?

Yes, you can.

It's also a terrific opportunity to switch the label to a higher grade, SS, or an attractive plaid pattern.

That's right. I'm going with the 'Orange Label' Dr. Balls Graded Series on my original JSC sketch cover I'm getting:

orangelabel.jpg

Awesome Doc (worship)(worship)(worship)

orangelabel.jpg

Whether you're just joking or not, an encapsulation-only service that offered "vanity labels" would probably do pretty well. "Download our size-pdf, design your own" sort of service.

There's probably more inflated egos per capita in fandom than there are over-dramatic outbursts. :D The creativity of custom vanity labels would be fun to see. (thumbs u

True. Between my vanity label and this:

DRBALLSSTAMP.jpg

I really should start charging a fee. I mean, if the guys at CVS can make money slapping stickers on books with zero credibility, why can't I?

I would buy a balls approved book. (worship)