• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opening and reusing a CGC holder

48 posts in this topic

This thread is worrying

What can we do to put it at ease?

I've said before there is money to be made just encapsulating - but not grading - books. With no need to hire graders and restoration experts someone could probably provide this service at a price point that is appealing to many.

This thread is worrying

I've said before there is money to be made just encapsulating - but not grading - books. With no need to hire graders and restoration experts someone could probably provide this service at a price point that is appealing to many.

I still don't get the appeal! Comics look lamer in the case than they do in a mylar, and they take up so much space. And it's not good preservation. And it's a great way to hide imperfections when selling comics.

Aside from maintaining the grade CGC gave you, what possible plus side could there be to sealing up a comic in a non-archival case?

I do this all the time. Just put the slab into a CGC bag. Not the kind you get from CGC,

the kind you get from Hotflips. It's a tight fit and holds the slab together.

That's pretty darn brilliant. The simplest solutions are nearly always the best

:idea:

This thread is worrying

I still don't get the appeal! Comics look lamer in the case than they do in a mylar, and they take up so much space. And it's not good preservation. And it's a great way to hide imperfections when selling comics.

Aside from maintaining the grade CGC gave you, what possible plus side could there be to sealing up a comic in a non-archival case?

I'm not saying I want to do it. But just reading this thread you have several collectors that have noted they are already doing so. I'm just saying there appears to be an interest in such a service.

While Mylar and a buffered backing board is a more "archival" storage method, the rigidity of the CGC case cannot be duplicated by mylar and a backing board. I do like being able to hand slabbed books to my non-collector friends and not worry about them damaging them by rough handling. Perhaps that is part of the appeal?

I agree that slabbed books take up a great deal more space, which is why the majority of my collection is and will remain raw.

This thread is worrying

I was expecting more of this tbh...

Pitchforks are out this year.Flaming torches on the other hand are tipped to make a comeback.

131496.jpg.6137a4046b35ac288f43592f0e3efb74.jpg

Oh and I love the way that Indian copper is totally nonplussed about the crowd behind him.

That Policeman gets 11/10 for coolness under the face of adversity (worship)

This thread is worrying

If the case can be split open and then resealed with glue etc, as earlier mentioned, some unscrupulous dealer could swap the book for a snide of lesser grade.

This thread is worrying

If the case can be split open and then resealed with glue etc, as earlier mentioned, some unscrupulous dealer could swap the book for a snide of lesser grade.

Is CGC grading snides now? I've got some sweet ones I should send in! ;)

As for swapping comics, it's a lot harder to mess with the inner case than it is with the outer ... and even the outer should reveal tampering pretty easily.

Oh and I love the way that Indian copper is totally nonplussed about the crowd behind him.

That Policeman gets 11/10 for coolness under the face of adversity (worship)

stick > flip flops

This thread is worrying

Is CGC grading snides now? I've got some sweet ones I should send in! ;)

As for swapping comics, it's a lot harder to mess with the inner case than it is with the outer ... and even the outer should reveal tampering pretty easily.

Thats good to know, I have never cracked a slab, so I dont really know what its like inside. I may do it today just for the experience.

Did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to buy a cheap CGC graded book and just use the holder for protection on a non CGC'd book I own. Is it possible to crack open a CGC case and close it again? Are there any instructions anywhere on how to do this?

Yes, you can.

It's also a terrific opportunity to switch the label to a higher grade, SS, or an attractive plaid pattern.

That's right. I'm going with the 'Orange Label' Dr. Balls Graded Series on my original JSC sketch cover I'm getting:

orangelabel.jpg

Did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to buy a cheap CGC graded book and just use the holder for protection on a non CGC'd book I own. Is it possible to crack open a CGC case and close it again? Are there any instructions anywhere on how to do this?

Yes, you can.

It's also a terrific opportunity to switch the label to a higher grade, SS, or an attractive plaid pattern.

That's right. I'm going with the 'Orange Label' Dr. Balls Graded Series on my original JSC sketch cover I'm getting:

orangelabel.jpg

Nice!

But I need numbers in a box.

It makes the comic more valuable.

An 11.0 would be nice since it's possible to get higher than a 4.0 grade point average in high school now.

orangelabel.jpg

Whether you're just joking or not, an encapsulation-only service that offered "vanity labels" would probably do pretty well. "Download our size-pdf, design your own" sort of service.

There's probably more inflated egos per capita in fandom than there are over-dramatic outbursts. :D The creativity of custom vanity labels would be fun to see. (thumbs u

Yes, you can.

orangelabel.jpg

Nice!

But I need numbers in a box.

It makes the comic more valuable.

An 11.0 would be nice since it's possible to get higher than a 4.0 grade point average in high school now.

How's this?

orangelabel2.jpg

orangelabel.jpg

Whether you're just joking or not, an encapsulation-only service that offered "vanity labels" would probably do pretty well. "Download our size-pdf, design your own" sort of service.

There's probably more inflated egos per capita in fandom than there are over-dramatic outbursts. :D The creativity of custom vanity labels would be fun to see. (thumbs u

True. Between my vanity label and this:

DRBALLSSTAMP.jpg

I really should start charging a fee. I mean, if the guys at CVS can make money slapping stickers on books with zero credibility, why can't I?