• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom variant program

861 posts in this topic

When a seller has 3,000 copies of a book and they're coming right out of a case, a lot of them should have 9.8 potential.

Sometimes NONE.

I'd be inclined to state policy as 'books will be sent Diamond case fresh. No grade guarantees can be offered.'

If he gets Diamond cases like my LCS does he will have a load of damaged comics.

Exactly. Diamond is brutal with packing books. Whenever you order a case the top two and bottom two books will almost always be damaged.

who are they proposing the 8.5s get sent to?

You and Kimik.

Duh.

All of my Phantom variants are 9.8s. Larry and Happy Harbor Comics in Edmonton take good care of us up here. :banana:

Yer gettin' the 8.5s, and you'll LIKE IT.

:sumo"

I leave those copies on the shelf. lol

who are they proposing the 8.5s get sent to?

You and Kimik.

Duh.

All of my Phantom variants are 9.8s. Larry and Happy Harbor Comics in Edmonton take good care of us up here. :banana:

Yer gettin' the 8.5s, and you'll LIKE IT.

:sumo:

I leave those copies on the shelf. lol

Fix the quote! FIX THE QUOOOOTTTTEEE!!

:cry:

Maybe you didn't read or it went over your head. I already say you two

Aren't friends. The customer didn't asked for a 9.8. He asked for 9.8

candidate. I like the way some of you guys changing the facts to back up

good ole Larry. Am sure Hitler was nice to some people but he still

had a lot of hate in him. Sorry Larry if I offend your idol.

So much to catch up, but thank you.

Friday. :golfclap:

I love where you're going. 25kk0ah.gif continue.

When a seller has 3,000 copies of a book and they're coming right out of a case, a lot of them should have 9.8 potential.

Sometimes NONE.

I'd be inclined to state policy as 'books will be sent Diamond case fresh. No grade guarantees can be offered.'

If he gets Diamond cases like my LCS does he will have a load of damaged comics.

A lot of buyers clearly have no experience with receiving cases of books.

Most of the time, sure, the box is filled with 9.8 potentials. Maybe even 60-70% of the time.

But there's a damn big chunk where it's not. I could never be a retailer for precisely that reason. I would be returning endless damages, and Diamond would cut me off.

Yes they would.

Diamonds terms of Sales for comics is Saleable.

basically...whole.

honestly the for the bulk of my customers 8.5 does the job.

There's no chill in you is there, Larry?

Should there be? He's a retailer who had to deal with a ton of orders for this particular book, and is seeing his reputation shot at here by a couple of vocal minority high maintenance customers. I'd protect my reputation as well.

Look at this from the dealer side of the fence. Diamond doesn't ship the Phantoms to the various retailers. Larry gets them all. He then has to turn around and secondarily ship them to all the various participant LCSs. He also has to fill individual orders. You can see how he'd be scrambling to pack and ship well, let alone reply to serial e-mailers.

Also, he gets what he gets out of the Diamond boxes. He can't call the printer or Diamond, and advise them he'd appreciate 9.8 candidates. If everyone is calling Larry requesting 9.8 candidates, who are they proposing the 8.5s get sent to?

I'm pretty sure Diamond actually ships the Phantom variants to most of the participating retailers.

Which is very common with retailer variants. This is also how the Ghost variant stores get copies on day of release for there variants.

But I agree with this post more than any other post in this thread.

Should there be? He's a retailer who had to deal with a ton of orders for this particular book, and is seeing his reputation shot at here by a couple of vocal minority high maintenance customers. I'd protect my reputation as well.

Look at this from the dealer side of the fence. Diamond doesn't ship the Phantoms to the various retailers. Larry gets them all. He then has to turn around and secondarily ship them to all the various participant LCSs. He also has to fill individual orders. You can see how he'd be scrambling to pack and ship well, let alone reply to serial e-mailers.

Also, he gets what he gets out of the Diamond boxes. He can't call the printer or Diamond, and advise them he'd appreciate 9.8 candidates. If everyone is calling Larry requesting 9.8 candidates, who are they proposing the 8.5s get sent to?

I'm pretty sure Diamond actually ships the Phantom variants to most of the participating retailers.

Which is very common with retailer variants. This is also how the Ghost variant stores get copies on day of release for there variants.

Dark Horse, Marvel & late orders ship from me.

Just order you Phantoms from Third Eye or another Phantom retailer then. I asked my Phantom carrying LCS to pull me 2 minty Spider-Gwens and they did. Both are 9.8s for sure.

I ordered 5 Humans Jetpack variants from Larry's ebay page a few months ago, 4 are 9.8s and 1 is a high 9.6. Not too shabby.

However, I don't think it's ethical of someone who is behind a certain variant cover inflating the price out of pure greed, thus setting the market price at 5x above cover. Major conflict of interest there.

from the department of redundancy department:

the market sets the market price

Just order you Phantoms from Third Eye or another Phantom retailer then. I asked my Phantom carrying LCS to pull me 2 minty Spider-Gwens and they did. Both are 9.8s for sure.

I ordered 5 Humans Jetpack variants from Larry's ebay page a few months ago, 4 are 9.8s and 1 is a high 9.6. Not too shabby.

However, I don't think it's ethical of someone who is behind a certain variant cover inflating the price out of pure greed, thus setting the market price at 5x above cover. Major conflict of interest there.

Printing variants costs more than just buying regular copies.

I pay for the cover art.

I sell them in shop at cover price.

I make less on them in shop, because they cost more.

I make up for that online.

I put Gwens on the market at $10

They sold out...

I put Gwens on the market at $13.99

They sold out...

I put Gwens on the market at $14.99

They sold out...

I put Gwens on the market at $19.99

They sold out...

I put Gwens on the market at $24.99

They sold out...

I put Gwens on the market at $29.99

They sold out...

I put Gwens on the market at $34.99

They sold out...

I put Gwens on the market at $39.99

They sold out...

Currently the market seems to be $30

The market sets itself...

Where this book ultimately settles is based on strength of cover & how well the material fares in current market

Not always. The SG Phantom pre-sell price kept rising even though they were strictly BINs. That's not the "market" setting the price. It's the seller who had control of every copy.

Not always. The SG Phantom pre-sell price kept rising even though they were strictly BINs. That's not the "market" setting the price. It's the seller who had control of every copy

*shrug*

I think you're confused as to what I do for a living.

I sell comics to make money.

If I sell out at $10, I'm going to $15 ect...

Why wouldn't I?

LCS here got their SG Phantoms directly from Larry

LCS here got their SG Phantoms directly from Larry

Yes.

That's how it works...

It's my program.

Not always. The SG Phantom pre-sell price kept rising even though they were strictly BINs. That's not the "market" setting the price. It's the seller who had control of every copy.

but what can be done? was he required to sell at a certain price given his contract? if so then he should be reported and probably reprimanded by whomever he has contracted with. if not then I don't see a problem as he doesn't owe anyone any specific price, If the market buys at a given price, then so be it. If he sells less because he raised the price too much and got everyone mad, so be it. Pretty sure that's just business?

but what can be done? was he required to sell at a certain price given his contract? if so then he should be reported and probably reprimanded by whomever he has contracted with. if not then I don't see a problem as he doesn't owe anyone any specific price, If the market buys at a given price, then so be it. If he sells less because he raised the price too much and got everyone mad, so be it. Pretty sure that's just business?

Often I put out at a price with NO takers.

Then the opposite happens...

Market sets the Market.

...and if the market doesn't react favorably to the pricing of the book, the price of the book falls down to an acceptable level...determined by the market.

Market sets the Market.

So if every gas station decides to charge $10 a gallon tomorrow, because they can, you have no problem with that?

Market sets the Market.

So if every gas station decides to charge $10 a gallon tomorrow, because they can, you have no problem with that?

That is a terrible comparison that is going to open up a whole big can of worms. How much time do you have?

Market sets the Market.

Nope. And I'll simply wait until the market re-exerts itself, and someone caves due to competition.

Instead of, you know, involving the "authorities", which is the reason gas prices are so high to begin with.