• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom variant program

861 posts in this topic

What happened to the mission of Phantom variant? Wasn't this not supposed to be cash grab? But then you post in the Silk appreciation thread that you are lining your pockets doing the same thing over and over again.

You also said that you only pick titles that will be here for the long run and that you believe in. What happened to Escape from Jesus Island? What happened to First Friday? It lasted one Friday that happened to be on the third Friday of the month.

Is repeat homage covers what you envisioned or have you drastically strayed from what you wanted the micro distributor to be?

What happened to the mission of Phantom variant? Wasn't this not supposed to be cash grab? But then you post in the Silk appreciation thread that you are lining your pockets doing the same thing over and over again.

You also said that you only pick titles that will be here for the long run and that you believe in. What happened to Escape from Jesus Island? What happened to First Friday? It lasted one Friday that happened to be on the third Friday of the month.

Is repeat homage covers what you envisioned or have you drastically strayed from what you wanted the micro distributor to be?

NEVER said only....

When I commission variants of obscure titles you have never heard of you guys taunt & laugh...

When I commission variants of mainstream titles you guys taunt & laugh...

There's NO winning here, & there never will be.

And I could care less.

I'll commission what I enjoy at any particular moment in time.

That's my only rule.

I have plenty of Indies coming up. Plenty of Marvel too. ( I've done more indy this year than Marvel, but apparently those do not count )

Squarriors

Chrononauts ( two covers )

Orphan Black

Cluster

Sheltered

We Can Never go Home ( four covers )

Puppet Master

Archie Predator

NEVER said only....

http://phantomvariant.com/phantomretailers.htm "only"

:gossip: I tried this tack not too long ago; almost the same exact path as you with some additional notes on "insider trading" and gouging. It was quickly buried under people loving the ASM 300 homages.

Maybe yours will stay up a bit longer as more homages are/were released. Good luck.

If people want to buy the covers who cares? I personally do not buy these type of variants that often... I think I have one Phantom variant. When I do buy them, I don't care what intent the person behind the program had - what does it matter?

99% of them are not for me, but that 1% that I may like... why not?

I think it's more likely that most people aren't really chasing store variants anymore unless it's a specific artist working on it (JSC/Turner) and only on specific characters too

Looking at the date of the last post, I'm guessing that the Phantom Variant program has ground to a halt?

taking a break...

Market has spoken.

I did it, then everybody did it...

good for you

this is why I don't think the market will crash. People can adjust their strategies more easily now. Add that to the fact that you have a whole internet world to sell your excess comics to at least partially recover your costs (if not more), and you won't have industry wide crashes in same way there were before. YES there can still be 'individuals' left holding the 'bag' if they over speculate and miss, but the current market is too spread out, too flexible, and too diverse currently to all crash at the same time.

Looking at the date of the last post, I'm guessing that the Phantom Variant program has ground to a halt?

taking a break...

Market has spoken.

I did it, then everybody did it...

good for you

this is why I don't think the market will crash. People can adjust their strategies more easily now. Add that to the fact that you have a whole internet world to sell your excess comics to at least partially recover your costs (if not more), and you won't have industry wide crashes in same way there were before. YES there can still be 'individuals' left holding the 'bag' if they over speculate and miss, but the current market is too spread out, too flexible, and too diverse currently to all crash at the same time.

You completely misunderstand.

I made a conscious decision to take break from commissioning shop variants for a bit based on 2015 observations that were:

#1-Collectors frustrations with them.

#2-The number of shops producing them.

#3-Publishers & artists producing them for themselves.

I'm going to do more at some point.

Just not now.

The comic market & my shop are healthier than at any point in my 26 year retail career.

Like to adjust my strategies based on market conditions.

For moderns my 2016 theme is: "Hey, Hey, Hey....Cover A"