• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom variant program

861 posts in this topic

I don't care if people want to make money; everyone wants to make money. But hiding this variant program behind "helping the little guy" -- either smaller titles, artists, and/or retailer B&M shops (one of the reasons previously given for teaming up with Marvel) is pure BS. Just say what it is: a way for Larry and a few of his close friends/retailers to make money.

Essentially this whole thread is a giant advertising/selling thread; no one else is allowed to do that here.

We have Larry posting a preview of his latest Deadpool variant cover. About an hour later there is a single seller on eBay with a listing for this issue. Well guess who that is? "Mrs". Larry of course, and "blowing out" those copies at $40 per and over 100 copies in stock. And I'm pretty sure when that number hits 0 it will come back with another 100, perhaps with a raised price.

And Larry's post about "only" ordering 3000 is another transparent way to drub up sales since the print run is sooooo low you have to get them now now now.

How does this help B&M stores (other Phantom shops) if Larry pre-sells the Phantoms a week before they are released, allowing people that want them to buy them immediately and NOT have to go to a store to buy them?

rantrant

Adding to your thoughts I would ask is there standard pricing on all phantom variants, or are arbitrary prices assigned to each book based on how popular desirable they may be? And how is the pricing factored?

On the release date, I will walk into Larry's shop and buy one at cover price. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

I don't care if people want to make money; everyone wants to make money. But hiding this variant program behind "helping the little guy" -- either smaller titles, artists, and/or retailer B&M shops (one of the reasons previously given for teaming up with Marvel) is pure BS. Just say what it is: a way for Larry and a few of his close friends/retailers to make money.

Essentially this whole thread is a giant advertising/selling thread; no one else is allowed to do that here.

We have Larry posting a preview of his latest Deadpool variant cover. About an hour later there is a single seller on eBay with a listing for this issue. Well guess who that is? "Mrs". Larry of course, and "blowing out" those copies at $40 per and over 100 copies in stock. And I'm pretty sure when that number hits 0 it will come back with another 100, perhaps with a raised price.

And Larry's post about "only" ordering 3000 is another transparent way to drub up sales since the print run is sooooo low you have to get them now now now.

How does this help B&M stores (other Phantom shops) if Larry pre-sells the Phantoms a week before they are released, allowing people that want them to buy them immediately and NOT have to go to a store to buy them?

rantrant

Adding to your thoughts I would ask is there standard pricing on all phantom variants, or are arbitrary prices assigned to each book based on how popular desirable they may be? And how is the pricing factored?

On the release date, I will walk into Larry's shop and buy one at cover price. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

I'm not walking halfway across the country for a Deadpool comic. :baiting:

And, yes, I do have a local shop that sells Phantoms; however they are always above cover price.

rantrant

I'm not walking halfway across the country for a Deadpool comic. :baiting:

And, yes, I do have a local shop that sells Phantoms; however they are always above cover price.

haha I was about to say the same thing and I think we have the same lcs

rantrant

I don't care if people want to make money; everyone wants to make money. But hiding this variant program behind "helping the little guy"

Nice spin.

NEVER said that.

The Phantom program is designed to build foot traffic & revenue for brick & mortar stores. It focuses on creator owned properties, but other material is of interest too.

If you don't like them.

Please.

Avoid them.

I do it because it's fun.

If you're not having fun, do something else....

I don't know anything about this program or who Larry is but just realized the CP Wilson Adventure Time OA I got for my daughter was a Phantom cover. I'm just glad that logo is not on the OA (no offense). How does it work? Is this all Larry and he commissions someone like Wilson to create a cover for his program? If so, why doesn't Larry get to keep the OA? Or is Larry just paying for the usage rights to print. Maybe I shouldn't be lazy and just go to page 1 and start reading.

I'm just glad that logo is not on the OA (no offense)

Snicker..

Charles designed the logo for me.

I adore it & his art.

Yes I commission all the cover artists.

Yes I tend to pick my personal favorites.

:grin:

Thank you for the info. If you pay for all the covers, I'm surprised you don't just get to keep them all. Its basically a commission or work for hire. Anyway, I'm glad that Adventure Time cover was available. My daughter loves it.

If you commission a cover that does not entitle you to the original art.

( I do occasionally buy them though...)

rantrant

I can go to my local Phantom shop and buy them at cover. Yes, I have a local Phantom shop. I bought the spider-gwen and the silk variants (limited to 5 for me at cover, I do drop a lot of cash in the store). I graded one of each because I liked them and sold the rest at a healthy mark-up. (I made money too, so did the local b&m shop).

Why CGC boards allow the post to continue is not for me to decide. I do like coming on here and seeing what he has coming up though. I have never ordered from Larry directly. Are other shops/groups banned from posting upcoming variants and exclusives? Or do many of them just not interact with the community that way. I have seen the EH! variants posted on here.

As for the print runs, can you prove they are not 3,000 copies as he states. I see that on here all the time but it is all speculation and conjecture, and at times bordering on libelous I would imagine since it is inferring he is coming on the boards and lying about how many are printed and could be damaging to him.

My note about only ordering 3000 was taken directly from Larry's post; I didn't mean that he is lying and keeping some back. I mean he is making it sound like it's a low print run so you better hurry and buy them now for $40 before they sell out. You know, from "Mrs." Larry.

And to Larry: The little guy is no spin; and if you believe it is spin, it's your own. The original Phantom site says it and has already been quoted and bolded, but I guess we'll do that gain:

"Any retailer (or group) can make a quick cash grab on a well-known popular title! The Phantom's goal is to support creators and publishers at a level that matters! One issue, if that is what they need, or a dozen if the publisher and creators are up for it! The Phantom Project will only get behind properties they expect to be around for some time!

With all of our support (25 retailers & growing) The Phantom Project hopes to ensure titles get the recognition and sales needed to grow their fan base. Watch for Phantom Project Stores hosting their own signings with Phantom Creators in the coming months!"

i.e. Anyone can make a quick cash grab on big titles, so we are going to be different and help the smaller titles (or publishers). The program helps titles get recognition, sales, and a growing fan base.

I can do whatever I please with my copies.

They're mine.

I own them.

I chose to sell half in my shop at cover price & half online at whatever the market will bear.

It's been working out stellar for me so far.

rantrant

meh... you do have a point about this being a sales thread though.

Every thread on here probably helps sell someone's books- the Enormous thread certainly is helping the creators, and they respond by participating in the discussion and perhaps giving us some inside knowledge that we all crave. We all win! One thing for sure on the internet though, no one has ever made me buy anything I didn't want to buy.

Every thread on here probably helps sell someone's books- the Enormous thread certainly is helping the creators, and they respond by participating in the discussion and perhaps giving us some inside knowledge that we all crave. We all win! One thing for sure on the internet though, no one has ever made me buy anything I didn't want to buy.

True Dat!

You've sold books as a result of advertising in this thread. (thumbs u

As a result?!?

Good luck with that champ!

No luck required. You list your variants here as "going to be hot" and then sell via PM and email. You can hide behind any technicality you wish.