• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any of our UK boardies going to the Leeds' Comic Con Nov 17-18?

61 posts in this topic

http://thoughtbubblefestival.com/

The Thought Bubble Festival is the UK’s largest event of its kind – an annual celebration of sequential art in all its forms, including everything from superhero comics to independent and small-press artists and writers.

Thought Bubble formed in 2007 as a non-profit-making organisation dedicated to promoting comics, graphic novels, and animation as an important national and international cultural art-form. Now in its 6th year, the festival has been extended over seven days with a jam-packed programme of events at a variety of venues across the city. Our aim is to cater to both long-time comic book fans and those who have never picked up a graphic novel before! The sixth Thought Bubble will take place from the 11th – 18th November 2012 at venues around Leeds and Bradford, with a centre-piece two day convention on 17th – 18th November at Saviles and Royal Armouries Halls – Leeds’ largest conference venues.

Previous year’s conventions have welcomed some of the biggest names in popular culture to Leeds including talented artists such as Tim Sale (Batman), Adam Hughes (Wonder Woman) John Romita Jr (Kick ), Frank Quitely (Batman & Robin), Charlie Adlard (The Walking Dead), Ben Templesmith (Thirty Days of Night), Adi Granov (Iron Man), Andy Diggle (The Losers), Mark Millar (Nemesis), Tony Harris (Ex Machina), Becky Cloonan (Demo), and many, many more. The convention represents a unique opportunity to meet the creators behind the books currently fuelling the contemporary comic-to-film revolution.

This year’s festival programme will include free art and writing based workshops for young people and adults, a two day academic conference, talks and masterclasses lead by industry professionals, and a programme of sequential art related film screenings. Our special two day convention includes an incredible line-up of leading artists and writers, and over 300 tables showcasing the best sequential art has to offer. The weekend will also feature portfolio viewings and competitions, as well as a huge cosplay parade. This promises to be one of the best events of its kind in the UK, as we’re celebrating comics in style!

The Thought Bubble Festival is the UK’s largest event of its kind ...

hm

I would believe that the London Super Comic Convention is bigger and has a more impressive guest list.

hm

I would believe that the London Super Comic Convention is bigger and has a more impressive guest list.

Probably so, but that's like saying the San Diego Comic Con is bigger and more impressive than the one held in Orlando. Do you not go to Orlando? In any event, they are not the same weekend so does it really matter?

Just seems a bit of a specious claim to me, that's all. (shrug)

Popular event, well attended, though. :)

Oh, my apologies, I overlooked the specific reference. I don't know if that's true or not. I just copied the info from their website.

I'm just interested to see who is going as I will be there and would be happy to meet up with boardies from across the pond. :hi:

I'm there, come say hi.

Look for the Destination Venus stall, I'm next door.

Bring food, drink & cash!!!!

there is 1 supermarket close by with an ATM, the last

4 years in a row they have run out of food & drink

and the ATM is usually out of cash by Saturday afternoon.

maybe they'll learn this year?

hm

Probably true as Comic Cons go but this is perfectly true

"The Thought Bubble Festival is the UK’s largest event of its kind – an annual celebration of sequential art in all its forms"

Monday to Sunday, 7 days of Talks, Film nights, workshops ending with a 2 day convention full of Small press, dealers, artists & writers.

Just seems a bit of a specious claim to me, that's all. (shrug)

Popular event, well attended, though. :)

Oh, my apologies, I overlooked the specific reference. I don't know if that's true or not. I just copied the info from their website.

I'm just interested to see who is going as I will be there and would be happy to meet up with boardies from across the pond. :hi:

I've heard it's a good show. Hope you enjoy it. :)

That's great to know that some of the boardies will be there. I will be there both Sat and Sun and would love to meet up for a pint or something. I will PM those who are saying they will be there with my cell # and we can coordinate.

FYI, I am actually delivering a presentation on Saturday from 4 -5 pm.

Alea Cinema Room, 4pm – 5pm, free entry with Saturday/Weekend convention pass, 18+ entry only, photo ID may be required, please note: Thought Bubble does not control panel content

Come enjoy a unique powerpoint presentation delivered by Mark S. Zaid, a Washington D.C. National Security attorney, featuring an educational & humorous interactive visual arts presentation tracing the historical creation & development of comic books and their characters, and particularly how comics addressed social issues of the day (including such topics as war, sex, civil rights, women’s liberation, politics, censorship, violence, & terrorism).

Zaid, who has lectured across the United States, is an advisor to the Overstreet Comic Book Price & Grading Guides and a co-founder of the Comic Book Collecting Association. He is also the owner of EsquireComics, which specializes in rare & esoteric comic books from 1930-1963.

I wish I could be there but I have the small matter of a London Derby to attend on the Sat and it's a long way to travel for a single day :cry:

Getting beaten by Spurs or Comic convention (shrug)

Didn't you know - southern comic collectors never travel further north than Watford.

I wish I could be there but I have the small matter of a London Derby to attend on the Sat and it's a long way to travel for a single day :cry:

Getting beaten by Spurs or Comic convention (shrug)

Didn't you know - southern comic collectors never travel further north than Watford.

There's a north of Watford??? :o

Bit pissed off as I was considering this but we have friends coming that weekend from France to stay with us.

Obviously not much of comic geek if I've got friends to put before comics.