• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics on CD - is it legal

52 posts in this topic

I have noticed a large number of listings on ebay over the past few months offering comic collections on CD for less than $10. For example, currently:

STAR TREK- THE COMPLETE GOLD KEY COMIC COLLECTION (ALL 61 ISSUES).

THE HOUSE OF MYSTERY COMIC COLLECTION - (242 ISSUES).

THE ULTIMATE BATMAN COMIC COLLECTION (399 ISSUES).

Is it legal to buy and own these cds (in the UK). My suspicion is "no" but then why do ebay allow it.

I have noticed a large number of listings on ebay over the past few months offering comic collections on CD for less than $10. For example, currently:

Is it legal to buy and own these cds (in the UK). My suspicion is "no" but then why do ebay allow it.

It's illegal in the same way that downloading mp3 files or movies for free is illegal. It is a copyright infringement.

I assumed there must be a loophole as they are on eBay daily. I figured the titles in question were beyond the copyright laws such as all the ga disks being offered. I always put -DVD;-cd etc in my search to screen out the listings

It's illegal in the same way that downloading mp3 files or movies for free is illegal. It is a copyright infringement.

Vicious lies :angel:

Vicious lies :angel:

The megaupload guy had to find out the hard way.

Normally, copyright complaints must come from the victims. If eBay was to take down an auction that was legitimate because a stranger thought it wasn't, that opens an equal amount of controversy. It has to do with the terms of the service they offer. By filtering and screening content it opens up a greater liability for them. If they offer merely a framework for you to post auctions, the users are responsible for the content of their auctions.

The logic ties back to the old phone laws. The phone company offered the connection. They were not legally responsible for the content of your discussion after you were connected. In other words, the phone company was protected so they couldn't be sued or arrested if you planned a bank robbery using their phone lines. If however they filtered, screened, or mingled with the content going over their phone lines, they could be held legally liable.

The DMCA has a complaint process that must be followed for digital piracy. The copyright owner must file the complaint.

DG

Who was the megaupload guy and what happened to him?
He's a guy who created a site for file sharing. He went to jail.

(Reuters) Flamboyant Megaupload founder unveils file-sharing sequel

"Mega will launch in January 2013, just before the internet entrepreneur is scheduled to face an extradition hearing to the United States where he and other Megaupload operators face charges of online piracy, fraud and money laundering."

Looks like his new site will potentially release him from liability, but not users. That means next time a house gets raided it will be the users and not the owners. That's even if it plays out like he hopes, which it probably won't.

In about a week the MPAA and RIAA are backing some new tracking software that will automatically spit out a letter to your ISP and have them slap you on the knuckles with a ruler. The only way now, which I would never ever ever ever ever do, is to lease one of those encrypted tunnels to Sweden and bounce off multiple servers. Again, never ever...

In about a week the MPAA and RIAA are backing some new tracking software that will automatically spit out a letter to your ISP and have them slap you on the knuckles with a ruler.

This has already been going on for several years via filesharing (P2P) torrents. I myself received a few of these years ago when I attempted to download a program my DVR failed to record correctly from a network. As far as I know, files downloaded via sites like Megaupload & Rapidshare cannot be tracked via 3rd party software.

I suppose they could seed bugged releases and track downloads that way, but somehow that seems illegal as well. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but does anyone know if the statements below are true - on Ebay (UK).

I have bought a few reading copies of Strange Adventures and I would love to read more so getting the whole series for $10 would be great.

Alan

GOLDEN AGE DIGITAL COMICS, STRANGE ADVENTURES, 251 ISSUES

DIGITAL COMICS ON TWO DVD’S

Items contained on these CDs/DVDs are distributed globally under the terms of the GNU Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).

This item does not infringe any copyright, trade mark, or other rights or any of eBay's listing policies or spam policies.