• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

52 New Variants!

63 posts in this topic

:news:

Low print runs and variants are the modern age gimmicks.

It must be working because there are tons of Image and DC cgc 9.8 variants up Ebay.

That could be true. I know that my Avengelyne Swimsuit #1 photo variant is worth WAY more than the $25 I paid for it in 1996.

That has to be one of the most boring, feeblest marketing strategies I have ever seen. DC aren't even trying anymore.

I am Facebook friends with Dan DiDio (Co-Publisher of DC Comics) and posted this on his wall to which he responded:

SOT: Dan isn't this the kind of tactics that will make a lot people think back to how bad the 1990's was for comics with all the variants and gimmicks? A lot of fans are already seeing this as DC just repeating the same thing that almost bankrupt comics years ago?

The general comic public is seeing this as a bad sign.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42020

Dan DiDio: "I can see the initial concern but its not quite the same thing. These are alternate covers and can be purchased by the retailers separately with no incentives tied to them. That way the retailer can buy copies with any flag they choose or just pass and stay with the prime cover. There is no special discounting or limitations, we will print to the orders, just like every other book we produce. No pressure here, just some fun with flags. best, DD"

"Also, the way we are offering these covers, the retailers only need to buy what they can sell, and not over order on books they can't move just to get one variant. We want to get our books into the hands of as many fans as possible, and that's the main reason with put the die cut Joker covers on the regular issues and did not up price the titles."

SOT: Dan, it is my believe that sometimes a variant cover is nice and fun thing to do especially if it is a hard to find one such as a 1:200 or even 1:500 for collectors to hunt down. However lately over the past couple of years the hobby (Marvel is also guilty for sure) has seen the market saturated with variants covers much like the 1990's did which almost destroyed our beloved hobby. I think the hobby is much better served having one title for every major character which can bridge the gap for new people to jump on the title as well. Most collectors as do I feel there are way too many re-boots, titles with the same character saturation, variant covers, and just news ways to drain people's wallets every Wednesday. Justice League was rebooted a year ago, and now we also now have a new title called Justice League of America in February. Do you see how this comes as bad taste in collectors eyes? Now I do appreciate DC keeping their prices down on comics over your competitor, and I understand DC Comics is here to make money of course. However wouldn't DC Comics as well as everyone else be best served listening to what comic book collectors really want? Right now I do not buy any new comics books because of this. Give us one Batman or Superman title per month with the angst of a once a month actual important story-line, and I promise you results and money will be made. More collectors such as myself would come back into the new issue market if we knew that only one Batman (okay you could keep TEC and Batman:), Superman, or Green Lantern title was coming out not multiple filler titles that are over killing the characters. Walking Dead has one title, and they are the only new comic book that gets my money per month. Imagine what would happen if Marvel and DC did that? One Spider-man and Green Lantern title per month would get my money instead of nothing both companies get now. I want to thank you for taking the time out of your day hearing my opinion on the matter Dan, appreciate it.

Waiting for a response a similar response, but at least he responded to a fan.

My response would be to cram that wall of text up your nether eye.

and why is that?

Because it is a wall of text and its impossible to read without going insane. Enter plus 5 space indent is your friend.

My response would be to cram that wall of text up your nether eye.

and why is that?

Because it is a wall of text and its impossible to read without going insane. Enter plus 5 space indent is your friend.

Oh please.

No different than viewing via the internet via any mobile phone device.

I know DC isn't going to change their market strategy, but I also know I will probably never buy modern books again.

A couple sentences turned into a civil rant.

What's he supposed to say to that? Not that I disagree, but he's just going to spin it so that it makes DC sound good, just like his previous answer.

Sure, but at least I said my peace.

Back to the Silver and Bronze age I go. (thumbs u

Not trying to be a Negative Nancy. I think it's great to try to get him and other publishers into a dialog about it. It's too bad it's all marketing and gimmicks. I've love to hear him come out and say, "You know, we should go back to just making good stories."