• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions for a hypothetical Overstreet Grading Guide, Super-Deluxe Edition

35 posts in this topic

Hard to believe I'd be the first to say this in this thread, but the Guide needs to go electronic - and I mean something beyond just reproducing hard copy in pdf format. Pricing data needs to be able to be imported into spreadsheets or databases. The current method of updating collection values each year manually is exponentially frustrating. Dealers with tens of thousands of books in inventory suffer lost income because they cannot instantly electronically update their price lists. Collectors need to be able to do the same to keep their assets, which in some cases represent a sizable portion of their total net worth, adequately insured.

The data is out there - it's not as if it's proprietary - it's just incredibly unwieldy to work with. This is a huge source of untapped income for Gemstone, I'm surprised Geppi hasn't already said "MAKE IT SO, NUMBER ONE!"

I work for a software firm, we'd be happy to consult on the project. My young brilliant non-collector associates consider the present state of affairs to be Stone Ageish.

Hard to believe I'd be the first to say this in this thread, but the Guide needs to go electronic - and I mean something beyond just reproducing hard copy in pdf format. Pricing data needs to be able to be imported into spreadsheets or databases. The current method of updating collection values each year manually is exponentially frustrating. Dealers with tens of thousands of books in inventory suffer lost income because they cannot instantly electronically update their price lists. Collectors need to be able to do the same to keep their assets, which in some cases represent a sizable portion of their total net worth, adequately insured.

The data is out there - it's not as if it's proprietary - it's just incredibly unwieldy to work with. This is a huge source of untapped income for Gemstone, I'm surprised Geppi hasn't already said "MAKE IT SO, NUMBER ONE!"

I work for a software firm, we'd be happy to consult on the project. My young brilliant non-collector associates consider the present state of affairs to be Stone Ageish.

But we're talking about the GRADING guide...

Now, if we had Grading software that could take a front and back scan and then spit out a grade... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Not to be dismissive, but everybody who works with software, programming, dynamic website design, etc., has offered to do the same for years now. I hear this a *lot*. And it's always a nice thing to hear, don't get me wrong.

The simple answer is: the electronic rights to the Guide and its content are held by Random House.

On a personal level, I've been working on dynamic Internet and wireless solutions for collectible data management as part of a doctorate in Communications Design since 1998. I've seen most of what I originally came up with back then implemented by others (poorly and unsuccessfully), but I should be done with my research in the field by the end of the year. It's certainly the wave of the future. But when it will happen is another story.

Anyway, that's my short and long answer on that one.

Arnold

On a personal level, I've been working on dynamic Internet and wireless solutions for collectible data management as part of a doctorate in Communications Design since 1998. I've seen most of what I originally came up with back then implemented by others (poorly and unsuccessfully), but I should be done with my research in the field by the end of the year. It's certainly the wave of the future. But when it will happen is another story.

So, when will we have to start addressing you as "Herr Doctor"?

The simple answer is: the electronic rights to the Guide and its content are held by Random House.

Arnold:

To whom at Random House could we address suggestions for the electronic version of the guide? Email address? Any chance you can get the person to register for the boards and force him/her to read our input every single dingle day?

As I'm a massive DOCTOR WHO fan, and more or less professionally involved with the show through some books I've written and will write, I am going to insist on being called "The Doctor" as soon as I get the sheepskin in my hand. smile.gif But several friends have already told me I shouldn't hold my breath. Sigh.

And as for the Random House question: I don't believe that's an option, but it's also beyond my position to offer any such contact info anyway. Sorry.

Arnold

As I'm a massive DOCTOR WHO fan, and more or less professionally involved with the show through some books I've written and will write, I am going to insist on being called "The Doctor" as soon as I get the sheepskin in my hand. smile.gif But several friends have already told me I shouldn't hold my breath. Sigh.

And as for the Random House question: I don't believe that's an option, but it's also beyond my position to offer any such contact info anyway. Sorry.

Arnold

Don't make me bust out the Ringmaster again.... 893naughty-thumb.gif

How about an electronic version of the Grading Guide distributed as a CD accompanying the grading guide containing high-resolution versions of the pictures in the printed book? Or if burning and distributing the accompanying CD is too expensive, put them on the Gemstone web site and password protect them so that only owners of the book can view them?

You could probably count the number of people in the market for an OGG who don't have computers by now (Heritage, EBay, etc) on one hand...

How about an electronic version of the Grading Guide distributed as a CD accompanying the grading guide containing high-resolution versions of the pictures in the printed book? Or if burning and distributing the accompanying CD is too expensive, put them on the Gemstone web site and password protect them so that only owners of the book can view them?

You could probably count the number of people in the market for an OGG who don't have computers by now (Heritage, EBay, etc) on one hand...

Sorry James, but Arnold is done taking suggestions about the guide for now. All future suggestions will get the response "Never say never, but nope." devil.gif

P.S. I like your idea a lot. Especially the website idea. thumbsup2.gif There is no reason they couldn't put big scans of the books on the website. They could even leave out any accompanying text, referring only to the book by page number so that someone who didn't buy the guide (but managed to get the password) wouldn't have a free online version of the guide.

Heritage distributes a CD with every catalog that contains scans of the auctions. If Gemstone isn't sure of the best and cheapest way to distribute the grading example scans electronically with future versions of the OGG, maybe they can call their buddies at Heritage for some advice. Petty and the gang like promoting comics...I'm sure they'd oblige as much as they could.