• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Journey 83 - 1st Thor - 5.0W signed!

47 posts in this topic

Well, I am particularly sad to let this book go as I have not had it long :/ but I have had a few too many excellent and expensive buying opportunities lately and something has to go :(

With regret:

1st Thor, 5.0 WHITE pages. Signed by Jack Kirby. $3800

Compare to the 5.0 CREAM to OW that just sold on clink for $4k even with the much inferior page quality and the much more common stan lee signature.

DSCN5977.JPG

DSCN5978.JPG

hm Super nice!

Also what would you suspect the grade would have been without the sig?

I guess I'm asking if it would have came back qualified, how higher do you think the CGC grade could have been?

Amazing Book :o

...how did it obtain a blue label?

GLWTS!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys :)

Let me answer some of the questions:

Its normal for an unrestored book that's been signed to get a blue label.

hm Super nice!

I guess I'm asking if it would have came back qualified, how higher do you think the CGC grade could have been?

I don't have it in front of me, but I don't think that's how it works - I don't believe they downgrade for vintage signatures that they think are real. They can't 100% authenticate obviously but neither do they downgrade.

I could be mistaken but that's my understanding.

Awesome! Whats the provenance on the signature?

Well, Kirby having died so long ago, I'm not honestly sure. All I can say is that it looks legit to me and I believe it to be real.

I bought it from a fellow well-known boardie, I'll see if he knows more.

hm Super nice!

I don't have it in front of me, but I don't think that's how it works - I don't believe they downgrade for vintage signatures that they think are real. They can't 100% authenticate obviously but neither do they downgrade.

I could be mistaken but that's my understanding.

They make no assumption either way. But in the VG range a small unobtrusive sig is a non issue as far as grading.