• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mister Mystery 12! Also, Nosebleed HG bronze oddities

34 posts in this topic

Hi shrunkenhead, may I ask you how’s the Hansi story?

Is that a one-shot (it seems so)?

It is indeed. It was one of a long series of Christian-themed comics that were passed out in the 70s and the 80s in the hopes of gaining converts. The story is about how Hansi is an evil Nazi until she discovers the teachings of Christ, etc., etc.

There were a bunch of these one-shots by Spire publications, but this one takes the cake.

Looks like somebody posted a pdf of the whole book online.

http://www.carpsplace.com/spire/Hansi.pdf

@shrunkenhead: Thank you very much for the link.

It feels like a truly odd story. The pace of the -script seems all disjointed and the whole story makes little to no sense, as Hitler's distorted views of religion were quite clear for the germans who knew better already back in the day (although scared to dispute the Reich). The Spire writers should have read Edith Stein’s "Life in a Jewish Family". I understand the good intentions, but it’s quite embarassing to see Johnny Cash on the back cover… hm

@shrunkenhead: Thank you very much for the link.

It feels like a truly odd story. The pace of the -script seems all disjointed and the whole story makes little to no sense, as Hitler's distorted views of religion were quite clear for the germans who knew better already back in the day (although scared to dispute the Reich). The Spire writers should have read Edith Stein’s "Life in a Jewish Family". I understand the good intentions, but it’s quite embarassing to see Johnny Cash on the back cover… hm

I also cringe at how Archie got roped into this mish-mash. :eek:

Archie is an USA-centered character, I mean it‘s big in the States but a lot less known abroad. As such, it fits in the provincial character which the Gospel takes on in many protestant confessions, which sometimes lead to sects. Or maybe they just paid royalties to MLJ; anyway, despite the good intentions, the results looks artistically poor and spiritually unconvincing.