• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

DC.  Still pretty cool, IMO

Do they have a triple coffee happy meal?  I haven't been there in ages.

I don't know.  I don't eat fast food.

But I think those toys are pretty cool.  :)

Judge Issues "Comic-Con" Injunction

Qli8zAi.png

August 24, 2018 7:57am PT by Eriq Gardner

In what may be the beginning of the end of the road for any self-described "Comic-Con" that doesn't take place in San Diego, a California federal judge has issued an injunction in one of the biggest trademark cases in the entertainment industry in years.

San Diego Comic Convention was the plaintiff taking on Dan Farr and Bryan Brandenburg, who ran the Salt Lake Comic Con. At a trial held last winter, San Diego prevailed on its contention that it held valid rights and that Salt Lake was infringing its trademarks. The jury didn't find willfulness, however, and only punished Salt Lake to the tune of $20,000 in corrective advertising.

Salt Lake asked U.S. District Court Judge Anthony Battaglia to put aside the ruling and order a new trial.

Instead, in a series of orders issued late Thursday, Battaglia has not only upheld the jury's verdict and issued an injunction, but ordered the defendants to pay almost $4 million in attorneys' fees and costs. The decision comes just a week before the Salt Lake convention was about to get underway. Thanks to this court case, it's already been rebranded the FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention.

Battaglia, in his order on an injunction, has enjoined Salt Lake from "Comic Con" and "Comic-Con" and any phonetic equivalents (i.e. ComiKon). Additionally, Farr and Brandenburg can't operate any social media site that incorporates the trademark, nor can they even advertise how the festival they run was "formerly known as Salt Lake Comic Con."

On the other hand, the judge rules it would go too far to prevent the phrase "comic convention" and won't require defendants to destroy all of their already-made merchandise and marketing materials bearing the banned phrases.

It's important to note that San Diego has sued or asserted claims against others who operated "Comic-Cons" around the nation — and most of those cases were put on hold for this one. San Diego vs. Salt Lake was a test case.

San Diego, the plaintiff, pushed for a new trial too because it was unhappy with the jury's finding of non-willfulness and wanted Salt Lake to disgorge profits. The judge doesn't think that's in order by pointing to evidence that included Brandenburg thinking it was ok to use "Comic Con" as others were doing it.

Nevertheless, San Diego has scored a huge coup in the order granting much of its attorneys' fee costs.

Battaglia concludes this is an "exceptional" case compared to run-of-the-mill trademark cases, and slams the defendants for making "repeated, re-argued, and recycled arguments" from having license to pushing a contention that "Comic Con" had become generic to framing the case both inside and outside the courtroom as San Diego's fraud on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

"Ultimately, resembling a broken record, DFP has repetitively restated and rehashed several contentions that they were unable to advance successfully prior to trial," writes the judge. "This type of cyclical motion practice is objectively unreasonable and has justified attorneys’ fees under the Lanham Act."

San Diego wanted about $5 million in attorney's fees and it will end up with 80 percent of the request.

While certainly a victory for San Diego, the attorney fee award could make an appeal more likely.

Legendary Comics Artist Bill Sienkiewicz Pens Scorching Rebuke of “Comicsgate”

MCzcYmU.jpg

“Comicsgate,” if you’ve been fortunate enough to avoid it until now, is a comics-focused offshoot of Gamergate. Much of its inception can be traced back to the “milkshake selfie” and subsequent harassment of Marvel editor Heather Antos and other female staffers for daring to take a photograph together. But the root of the “movement” is a general decrying of “SJWs” and diversity in comics, and that’s been happening for a much longer period of time.

As Inverse explained in February, Comicsgaters are obsessed and angered by the participation of women and people of color in the comics industry, and the growing diversity of representation. You can read Inverse’s history of how Comicsgate began and spread like a disease here. The primary thing that you need to know to understand what’s going on:

Comicsgate … seems to just want less diversity, both in characters and creators, in an attempt to save comics and keep the medium white, male, and familiar. That’s it.

A new chapter in this ugly saga was opened this week after Comicsgaters made a video making their case for why the late DC comics artist Darwyn Cooke, who died in 2016, “would have been #ComicsGate.”

Cooke’s widow, Marsha Cooke, took offense to this suggestion, responding to a tweet about the video: “Hi guys, this is Darwyn’s wife and I can guarantee he thought you comics gate insufficiently_thoughtful_persons were a bunch of crybaby losers ruining comics. because you are.”

https://twitter.com/RosieMarx/status/1032016006552543234

Needless to say, this feedback was not well-received by said crybabies. Some Comicsgaters comicsgate’d, sending harassment to the widow of a man they professed to adore.

The incident with Cooke prompted prominent names in comics to speak out against the Comicsgate ethos and the harassment it engenders. Taking a particularly scorched-earth stance was Eisner-winning artist Bill Sienkiewicz. Sienkiewicz has been in the industry since he was 19 years old and is revered for his innovative style and his work on titles like Sandman: Endless Nights, New Mutants, DaredevilElektra: Assassin, Batman, and many, many, many, many more.

“To Comicsgaters – but also: to general friends and colleagues in arms. Profuse profanity to follow. Be advised,” Sienkiewicz wrote in a Facebook post that was cross-posted to Twitter. Which should advise you if profuse profanity (for a good cause) offends you.

Sienkiewicz’s post reads:

Spoiler

To Comicsgaters – but also: to general friends and colleagues in arms . Profuse profanity to follow. Be advised.

To begin.
I’m convinced Comics chose ME as a practitioner, emissary, evangelist, what-have-you—rather than the other way around.
Perhaps that’s why I tend to view most other creators through a similar lens. Whatever the actual reason people create comics, tell stories, live in this world, it’s still a wonderful calling.

Creators are family; every voice is unique and necessary.

That said, Comics sure as hell didn’t choose the so-called Comicsgate contingent to promote hateful, misogynistic and plain-old-ugly dogma. No, these ‘Gaters- you guys- you brought that ugliness all by yourselves.

To be honest, I just don’t get your deal. Are you so insecure, so afraid, so fearful of the prospect of bearing the ‘incel’ moniker, or by sharing creative space with someone with more estrogen than you- that you’re all somehow threatened to your very manhood or your livelihood? How super-heroic of you.

I’d ask you to explain it to me, but frankly what I’ve heard from your quarter already bores me; as well as just plain pisses me off. I despise bullies. Cowards.

What you’re each promoting individually is not some divine creative dispensation; it’s just you being an individual_without_enough_empathy. Collectively, you’re a gaggle, a clan,(-potentially with a k unsubtle as that shot may be)- a veritable bag’s worth of douches. Whatever the name you give for your assembly, you’re not the Avengers. You’re still just a bunch of individual_without_enough_empathys.

Comics isn’t a boys club. It’s not “NO (insert ethnic group, gender, religion, sexual preference here) ALLOWED.” It’s a club , a meeting place a forum for creators. Of all stripes. Like a real life Legion of Super Heroes, or a Justice League. Only with pen and ink paper and Cintiqs and laptops and…

Stop being the creepy racist misogynist uncles showing up at reunions and in the punchbowl to disprove your beta standing. Stop being the weird cousins the entire world points to as the definition of every “comic book nerd” stereotype. Or do it far away from us. Stop being whiny misunderstood victims person_without_enough_empathying bout favoritism, intolerance, and sexism. You’re slinging inky-black aspersions, obliviously crying racism in your Wite-Out™. You’re damned right some corrections need to be made; starting with the guys in the mirror first.

So stop being awful ambassadors for the worst of our natures. Stop being brownshirts. Stop being goddamned ugly . And to re-jigger an ugly phrase you sling at women, I’m instead going to channel it here in the spirit of my Aussie friends: Stop being such insufferable clueless .

The medium didn’t call on you to be the best version of individual_without_enough_empathys you could be. Neither did we.
Knock it off.
Either step up. Or step off.
We, Comics, and The Audience- will be absolutley fine without you.
And you won’t be missed one damned bit.

It’s vital that people with power in the industry like Sienkiewicz take a strong stance on issues of harassment that are disproportionately shouldered by the targets of that harassment, namely women, people of color, queer people, disabled people, and other marginalized groups. Sienkiewicz’s Twitter and Facebook reply fields are full-up with thousands of people thankful for what he said.

It should not be left to the groups who are being attacked to fight battles they did not ask for alone and unaided. Beyond Sienkiewicz’s calling-out of the bullying behavior that he despises, it’s equally crucial to hear him say that “Creators are family; every voice is unique and necessary,” and that “Comics isn’t a boys club.” These are the sort of messages that need to be repeated over and over again until they drown out the hateful hordes.

https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/status/1032730857319084033

Edited by Ditch Fahrenheit

5 hours ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Judge Issues "Comic-Con" Injunction

Qli8zAi.png

August 24, 2018 7:57am PT by Eriq Gardner

In what may be the beginning of the end of the road for any self-described "Comic-Con" that doesn't take place in San Diego, a California federal judge has issued an injunction in one of the biggest trademark cases in the entertainment industry in years.

San Diego Comic Convention was the plaintiff taking on Dan Farr and Bryan Brandenburg, who ran the Salt Lake Comic Con. At a trial held last winter, San Diego prevailed on its contention that it held valid rights and that Salt Lake was infringing its trademarks. The jury didn't find willfulness, however, and only punished Salt Lake to the tune of $20,000 in corrective advertising.

Salt Lake asked U.S. District Court Judge Anthony Battaglia to put aside the ruling and order a new trial.

Instead, in a series of orders issued late Thursday, Battaglia has not only upheld the jury's verdict and issued an injunction, but ordered the defendants to pay almost $4 million in attorneys' fees and costs. The decision comes just a week before the Salt Lake convention was about to get underway. Thanks to this court case, it's already been rebranded the FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention.

Battaglia, in his order on an injunction, has enjoined Salt Lake from "Comic Con" and "Comic-Con" and any phonetic equivalents (i.e. ComiKon). Additionally, Farr and Brandenburg can't operate any social media site that incorporates the trademark, nor can they even advertise how the festival they run was "formerly known as Salt Lake Comic Con."

On the other hand, the judge rules it would go too far to prevent the phrase "comic convention" and won't require defendants to destroy all of their already-made merchandise and marketing materials bearing the banned phrases.

It's important to note that San Diego has sued or asserted claims against others who operated "Comic-Cons" around the nation — and most of those cases were put on hold for this one. San Diego vs. Salt Lake was a test case.

San Diego, the plaintiff, pushed for a new trial too because it was unhappy with the jury's finding of non-willfulness and wanted Salt Lake to disgorge profits. The judge doesn't think that's in order by pointing to evidence that included Brandenburg thinking it was ok to use "Comic Con" as others were doing it.

Nevertheless, San Diego has scored a huge coup in the order granting much of its attorneys' fee costs.

Battaglia concludes this is an "exceptional" case compared to run-of-the-mill trademark cases, and slams the defendants for making "repeated, re-argued, and recycled arguments" from having license to pushing a contention that "Comic Con" had become generic to framing the case both inside and outside the courtroom as San Diego's fraud on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

"Ultimately, resembling a broken record, DFP has repetitively restated and rehashed several contentions that they were unable to advance successfully prior to trial," writes the judge. "This type of cyclical motion practice is objectively unreasonable and has justified attorneys’ fees under the Lanham Act."

San Diego wanted about $5 million in attorney's fees and it will end up with 80 percent of the request.

While certainly a victory for San Diego, the attorney fee award could make an appeal more likely.

What I find particularly ironic in this case is how San Diego has become less and less about comics and more a multi media convention.

1 hour ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Legendary Comics Artist Bill Sienkiewicz Pens Scorching Rebuke of “Comicsgate”

MCzcYmU.jpg

“Comicsgate,” if you’ve been fortunate enough to avoid it until now, is a comics-focused offshoot of Gamergate. Much of its inception can be traced back to the “milkshake selfie” and subsequent harassment of Marvel editor Heather Antos and other female staffers for daring to take a photograph together. But the root of the “movement” is a general decrying of “SJWs” and diversity in comics, and that’s been happening for a much longer period of time.

As Inverse explained in February, Comicsgaters are obsessed and angered by the participation of women and people of color in the comics industry, and the growing diversity of representation. You can read Inverse’s history of how Comicsgate began and spread like a disease here. The primary thing that you need to know to understand what’s going on:

Comicsgate … seems to just want less diversity, both in characters and creators, in an attempt to save comics and keep the medium white, male, and familiar. That’s it.

A new chapter in this ugly saga was opened this week after Comicsgaters made a video making their case for why the late DC comics artist Darwyn Cooke, who died in 2016, “would have been #ComicsGate.”

Cooke’s widow, Marsha Cooke, took offense to this suggestion, responding to a tweet about the video: “Hi guys, this is Darwyn’s wife and I can guarantee he thought you comics gate insufficiently_thoughtful_persons were a bunch of crybaby losers ruining comics. because you are.”

https://twitter.com/RosieMarx/status/1032016006552543234

Needless to say, this feedback was not well-received by said crybabies. Some Comicsgaters comicsgate’d, sending harassment to the widow of a man they professed to adore.

The incident with Cooke prompted prominent names in comics to speak out against the Comicsgate ethos and the harassment it engenders. Taking a particularly scorched-earth stance was Eisner-winning artist Bill Sienkiewicz. Sienkiewicz has been in the industry since he was 19 years old and is revered for his innovative style and his work on titles like Sandman: Endless Nights, New Mutants, DaredevilElektra: Assassin, Batman, and many, many, many, many more.

“To Comicsgaters – but also: to general friends and colleagues in arms. Profuse profanity to follow. Be advised,” Sienkiewicz wrote in a Facebook post that was cross-posted to Twitter. Which should advise you if profuse profanity (for a good cause) offends you.

Sienkiewicz’s post reads:

Reveal hidden contents

To Comicsgaters – but also: to general friends and colleagues in arms . Profuse profanity to follow. Be advised.

To begin.
I’m convinced Comics chose ME as a practitioner, emissary, evangelist, what-have-you—rather than the other way around.
Perhaps that’s why I tend to view most other creators through a similar lens. Whatever the actual reason people create comics, tell stories, live in this world, it’s still a wonderful calling.

Creators are family; every voice is unique and necessary.

That said, Comics sure as hell didn’t choose the so-called Comicsgate contingent to promote hateful, misogynistic and plain-old-ugly dogma. No, these ‘Gaters- you guys- you brought that ugliness all by yourselves.

To be honest, I just don’t get your deal. Are you so insecure, so afraid, so fearful of the prospect of bearing the ‘incel’ moniker, or by sharing creative space with someone with more estrogen than you- that you’re all somehow threatened to your very manhood or your livelihood? How super-heroic of you.

I’d ask you to explain it to me, but frankly what I’ve heard from your quarter already bores me; as well as just plain pisses me off. I despise bullies. Cowards.

What you’re each promoting individually is not some divine creative dispensation; it’s just you being an individual_without_enough_empathy. Collectively, you’re a gaggle, a clan,(-potentially with a k unsubtle as that shot may be)- a veritable bag’s worth of douches. Whatever the name you give for your assembly, you’re not the Avengers. You’re still just a bunch of individual_without_enough_empathys.

Comics isn’t a boys club. It’s not “NO (insert ethnic group, gender, religion, sexual preference here) ALLOWED.” It’s a club , a meeting place a forum for creators. Of all stripes. Like a real life Legion of Super Heroes, or a Justice League. Only with pen and ink paper and Cintiqs and laptops and…

Stop being the creepy racist misogynist uncles showing up at reunions and in the punchbowl to disprove your beta standing. Stop being the weird cousins the entire world points to as the definition of every “comic book nerd” stereotype. Or do it far away from us. Stop being whiny misunderstood victims person_without_enough_empathying bout favoritism, intolerance, and sexism. You’re slinging inky-black aspersions, obliviously crying racism in your Wite-Out™. You’re damned right some corrections need to be made; starting with the guys in the mirror first.

So stop being awful ambassadors for the worst of our natures. Stop being brownshirts. Stop being goddamned ugly . And to re-jigger an ugly phrase you sling at women, I’m instead going to channel it here in the spirit of my Aussie friends: Stop being such insufferable clueless .

The medium didn’t call on you to be the best version of individual_without_enough_empathys you could be. Neither did we.
Knock it off.
Either step up. Or step off.
We, Comics, and The Audience- will be absolutley fine without you.
And you won’t be missed one damned bit.

It’s vital that people with power in the industry like Sienkiewicz take a strong stance on issues of harassment that are disproportionately shouldered by the targets of that harassment, namely women, people of color, queer people, disabled people, and other marginalized groups. Sienkiewicz’s Twitter and Facebook reply fields are full-up with thousands of people thankful for what he said.

It should not be left to the groups who are being attacked to fight battles they did not ask for alone and unaided. Beyond Sienkiewicz’s calling-out of the bullying behavior that he despises, it’s equally crucial to hear him say that “Creators are family; every voice is unique and necessary,” and that “Comics isn’t a boys club.” These are the sort of messages that need to be repeated over and over again until they drown out the hateful hordes.

https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/status/1032730857319084033

The answer to speech you don't like is better speech.

Responding to speech you don't like...whether it is objectively inflammatory, harassing, insulting, obnoxious, or all, some, or none of the above...with insults and harassment of your own weakens your point...sometimes beyond repair.

1 hour ago, Tony D said:

What I find particularly ironic in this case is how San Diego has become less and less about comics and more a multi media convention.

It is interesting that a Pop Culture/Entertainment Exposition has fought so hard to prevent others from using the phrase "ComicCon."

Doesn't paint SDCC in a good light....

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Is that a real name, or is it always a nickname...? "JImbo"?

I wonder if there are any "Jimbo" on birth certificates.

He was born in Manila, so I assume that's his nickname.

COMIC BOOK COLLECTING

This is interesting.  According to 'Love Anna,' the AF15 used on the show American Pickers that was estimated to be worth $50K is actually restored, and this was never mentioned by the 'expert' who was brought in on the show.  lol  Color me shocked (if true).

Love Anna

2 hrs

Here's something really fun for a Saturday! I am at a small local show and a friend of mine has this book. This is the exact copy that was used on American Pickers. The second I saw it, it was very clear that it had been restored. I told him I did not remember the "expert" that they had brought in for the American Pickers show saying anything about restoration. My friend said they definitely did not! - I just find it super interesting because I get friends who send me the link to that episode at least twice a year and now I'm holding the book ??

IgpiKns.jpg

Here's an article about the July, 2017 show.  

$50,000 Amazing Fantasy #15, Spider-Man’s debut comic, features on American Pickers

31 minutes ago, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

This is interesting.  According to 'Love Anna,' the AF15 used on the show American Pickers that was estimated to be worth $50K is actually restored, and this was never mentioned by the 'expert' who was brought in on the show.  lol  Color me shocked (if true).

"Love Anna" is Betty-Bates on the Boards. 
She has the distinction of winning the last two CGC March Madness Tournaments: