• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Saw the Supes movie......left with a smile on my face. I know DC/WB definitely hit it out of the park with this movie. It's not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but I can see the writing on the wall even clearer now......we're on a collision course for a JLA movie like it or not....and I'm ecstatic.

Forget BB28 for a second, I'm just uber happy because I've waited since childhood to see these iconic characters come to the big screen and tonight I saw that dream take the first concrete step into reality.

There's 100% no doubt in my mind that the movie will fully crystalize into the spectacle I've expected it to become after seeing the new Superman.

DC/WB has been tight lipped for good reasons and they didn't really hold back on this production.

Now, back to BB28.....as Sinistar has been loath to say: "Beware....I live".

sinistar.gif

"Run Coward"

I HUNGER!!! :)

I fear nothing, you may devour me but I will return even stronger.

255 lives stronger!

CGC 9.4 BB28? hm hm $225K is my guess.

Seems like a big number, could be dead on for all I know.

How did you come to that total?

I'm sure Tim's sale was private, but it would be interesting to see a totem pole list on this book. What it sold for at the HA auction, what Tim sold it for, what it sells for next time, etc. hm

Here you go:

Heritage (Apr 2004): $60,375 (including BP)

Private sale (Nov 2009): More than $60,375, less than $225,000 ;)

Next sale: ?

To be honest, I doubt it will be resold anytime soon. The buyer definitely does not need the money.

CGC 9.4 BB28? hm hm $225K is my guess.

Seems like a big number, could be dead on for all I know.

How did you come to that total?

I'm sure Tim's sale was private, but it would be interesting to see a totem pole list on this book. What it sold for at the HA auction, what Tim sold it for, what it sells for next time, etc. hm

Here you go:

Heritage (Apr 2004): $60,375 (including BP)

Private sale (Nov 2009): More than $60,375, less than $225,000 ;)

Next sale: ?

To be honest, I doubt it will be resold anytime soon. The buyer definitely does not need the money.

(worship)

Edited by rfoiii

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/06/15/friday-box-office-man-of-steel-grosses-super-56-million/

Friday Box Office: 'Man Of Steel' Grosses Super $56 Million*:

Warner Bros. has a massive hit on its hands, with the $175-$225 million (depending on who you ask) likely matched by domestic grosses alone by the end of next weekend.

It also has, including the Thursday figures an opening day bigger than all previous DC Comics opening weekends in history save the last two Batman pictures (The Dark Knight‘s $158 million debut and The Dark Knight Rises‘s $160 million debut). It bests the $52.5 million Fri-Sun debut of Superman Returns (which of course grossed $83 million over Wed-Sun in July 2006), and the opening weekends of Watchmen ($55 million in March 2009), Green Lantern ($53 million this weekend in 2011), Batman Forever ($52.8 million – a record 18 years ago this weekend), Batman Begins ($48m Fri-Sun/$72m Wed-Sun this weekend in 2005), Batman Returns ($47.7m – a record 21 years ago this weekend), and Batman & Robin ($43m this weekend in 1997).

Man Of Steel now has the second-biggest opening day for a non-sequel, behind the $67 million Friday of The Hunger Games last year. It’s a bigger opening day than Iron Man ($38 million), Spider-Man ($39 million), and Alice In Wonderland ($41 million)

Forgot to say: told ya so... :wink:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/06/15/friday-box-office-man-of-steel-grosses-super-56-million/

Friday Box Office: 'Man Of Steel' Grosses Super $56 Million*:

Warner Bros. has a massive hit on its hands, with the $175-$225 million (depending on who you ask) likely matched by domestic grosses alone by the end of next weekend.

It also has, including the Thursday figures an opening day bigger than all previous DC Comics opening weekends in history save the last two Batman pictures (The Dark Knight‘s $158 million debut and The Dark Knight Rises‘s $160 million debut). It bests the $52.5 million Fri-Sun debut of Superman Returns (which of course grossed $83 million over Wed-Sun in July 2006), and the opening weekends of Watchmen ($55 million in March 2009), Green Lantern ($53 million this weekend in 2011), Batman Forever ($52.8 million – a record 18 years ago this weekend), Batman Begins ($48m Fri-Sun/$72m Wed-Sun this weekend in 2005), Batman Returns ($47.7m – a record 21 years ago this weekend), and Batman & Robin ($43m this weekend in 1997).

Man Of Steel now has the second-biggest opening day for a non-sequel, behind the $67 million Friday of The Hunger Games last year. It’s a bigger opening day than Iron Man ($38 million), Spider-Man ($39 million), and Alice In Wonderland ($41 million)

Hurrah for Supes!

Just saw Man of Steel - freaking awesome!!

So would you say that DC now has the mass appeal to bridge into further properties on a grand scale?

That would be a resounding "YES".

Amen brother :headbang:

We be happy campers!

Rock on brotha boba!!! It was inevitable and a long time coming. :)

Just saw Man of Steel - freaking awesome!!

So would you say that DC now has the mass appeal to bridge into further properties on a grand scale?

That would be a resounding "YES".

Amen brother :headbang:

We be happy campers!

Rock on brotha boba!!! It was inevitable and a long time coming. :)

:whee:

Isn't it ironic that B&B #28 values are effected so by a film about a character who only makes a cameo appearance in the comic?

I was looking for Superman on the covers of B&B and JLA comics in the database comics.org and it's incredible how few covers Superman and Batman appear on. I should go back and count them, because it seemed rather remarkable when i was scanning the covers.

Ok, for anyone who cared I counted: (AKA great way to avoid yard work on father's day :acclaim: )

Superman (AKA, the Man of Steel) is NOT on B&B #28, 29 or 30.

On the cover of JLA #1 Superman and Batman ONLY appear among the tiny pieces on Despero's Chess board, and again #5 as teeny-tiny little figures in the distance, on #10 they both appear as fingers of Felix Faust, #11 their names are on beakers containing imprisoned superheroes, #19 boarding the exiles ship, #21 (JSA app), #25 Supes only, #26 Batman only, #27 Batman only, #28 Superman only, #29 (JSA app), #30 & #31 Batman, #32, 33 & 34 both, #35 Bats, #36 Supes and from about #38 on they appear pretty consistently on the covers

I think that's pretty freakin' incredible. My son says he heard something about the people involved on the actual titles (Batman and Superman) had issue with the characters appearing on the Justice League Of America covers. If that's the case, very interesting politics at play within DC at the time. Anyone know more about this it would be cool to know.

It's definitely ironic that Supes and Bats don't appear on BB28 yet the prices are impacted. That said, MOS has been heavily advertised as the start or finish of the race to make the JL movie....so it's not entirely a surprise.

Everything has been hinged on the success of this movie. If it tanked (which would have been next to impossible) it would have sunk pretty much all hope...

as it stands now however it's guaranteed to occur.

The only thing that separates us from further DC offerings is time and space.

Given enough of both you'll see everything we've discussed come to fruition.

As far as I'm concerned....each movie is like a $175 million advertisement for BB28.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that since the highest on the census is a 9.4.....it's easily going to be worth 280K by the time the movie hits....and that may be a bit too modest honestly because The Avengers 1 is hovering around that mark in approximately the same grade and there are 4x as many Avengers 1 on the census than BB28.

Call me crazy but it'll probably get into the 300K+ range by 2015 and within 15 years will be on track to Action 1 and Detective 27 territory.

Call me crazy but it'll probably get into the 300K+ range by 2015 and within 15 years will be on track to Action 1 and Detective 27 territory.

Avengers 1 in 9.6 is a $250k book, not 9.4.

If the sole 9.4 BB 28 came up for auction, I think it could surpass $300k right now, given the right circumstances.

As far as it to be on track with Action 1/Tec 27, that's a bit of a stretch. What isn't a stretch is that Tec 27 could take over Action 1 as the most valuable comic.

I don't ever see a SA book, given what we know right now, catching up to those GA grails. If a 9.9 SA key (FF 1, Hulk 1, BB 28, AF 15, etc..) ever hit, then maybe...but that won't happen.....EVER!

9.8 AF15 might. I agree that BB28 is coming into its own. gee, they guy who sold it must be feeling a twinge he lost interest in comics a few years too early. The gains on that one book alone would have outweigh all losses on the others.

but I really think 300K is wayyy to high an estimate. Being the sole 9.4 IS a very strong X factor, though

I stand by my 225K, though we won't know since the copy is locked up - therefore we can all be right :)

For the record, I don't think the strength of BB28 is due to the MOS movie (atleast not for the most part). A series of events contribute, I think, but you have

- book has always been popular and expensive, but GPA had been low for a while since most copies were selling privately (as we've discussed in other threads, the 6.0 copy showed $2500-$2700 on GPA, yet was routinely trading 50%-100% higher than that.

- The rarity of the book, when compared with marvel counterparts. It may only be a few years older than the marvel keys, but those few years mean a lot interms of distribution and quantity remaining.

we talk about hulk 1 on the rarer side of the marvel keys. Well there are almost two copies on the census for every BB28on the census. And, there are 3 FF1s and 4 AF15s per BB28!

- The number of collectors will increase due to the general media attention received (think about bing bang theory with tens of millions of people tuning in.....an element of "geekdom being vogue" has a residual effect on things like books)

- The movies themselves will contribute (and the movie hype, of course)

So i'm not disagreeing, but rather saying there's more to it.

If the sole 9.4 BB 28 came up for auction, I think it could surpass $300k right now, given the right circumstances.

As far as it to be on track with Action 1/Tec 27, that's a bit of a stretch. What isn't a stretch is that Tec 27 could take over Action 1 as the most valuable comic.

I don't ever see a SA book, given what we know right now, catching up to those GA grails. If a 9.9 SA key (FF 1, Hulk 1, BB 28, AF 15, etc..) ever hit, then maybe...but that won't happen.....EVER!

could you imagine

could you imagine

I try not to....