• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

Just got back from MOS. What a great flick. With the non-linear storytelling, it felt just like a 12 issue series smashed into 2.5 hours of magic. As soon as the credits rolled, my 10 year old son, says "Dad, they need to make a Flash movie". He did not catch the Easter eggs placed all through out the film, but when I mentioned the hints to him, he immediately put the Justice League puzzle together. BB28 will be a force in the years to come with the path now firmly paved for a JL film.

Posted a review of the movie on CG (I know, like the 500th person to the pot).

It is clear that BB28 prices have started to surge behind the excitement of a future JLA movie (at least as far as this site can observe...), but are others seeing similar trends on related titles (JLA 1, Showcase 4, etc)?

If you were to pick one JLA original team member to keep the momentum and launch a JLA movie, who would you pick?

My vote is on Flash (Barry Allen, not Wally West) or Wonder Woman (female heroes are grossly under-represented in the market and could be a huge upside if done well).

Showcase 4 has had a higher price increase recently when compared to bb28. Heck 5.0s seem to be avg 8k+. A year ago it was 5k ish. Bb28 is strong right now but still lags behind sc4

Showcase 4 is bumping up, along with JLA 1. Ath this point, even gossip leaking possible team members of a movie will feed the frenzy. According to the registry, and unlike Marvel SA books, the DC SA's are tougher to find in above average grade for the key books that will be directly affected. It will be interesting to see if this actually hinders a steady price growth over time, by preventing the number of entry points for new buyers, while conversely causing huge price spikes, and ultimately a market crash by eliminating new buyers too quickly and creating apathy. (See Showcase 22) But then again, what do I know, I buy comics because I love them.

Gator, I am seriously on the fence with a resub on the SC4 5.5 you sold me.
its a very pretty 5.5

I am sure it is a pretty one! Got a scan?

FYI - I LOVE the resub dilemma. It is an interesting mix of pepto-bismol and champagne.

Side note, what about some of the lesser characters like Martian Manhunter (minor key - Tec 225) or less successful like Green Lantern (SC 22 and GL 1)?

Call me crazy but it'll probably get into the 300K+ range by 2015 and within 15 years will be on track to Action 1 and Detective 27 territory.

Avengers 1 in 9.6 is a $250k book, not 9.4.

If the sole 9.4 BB 28 came up for auction, I think it could surpass $300k right now, given the right circumstances.

I was aware of Avengers 1 9.6 being at that price point. Of course the highest known BB28 is 9.4 so they were the only logical things to compare.

It'd be a virtual 9.6 for purposes of comparison only pertaining to the highest books on the census.

You're probably right about the 9.4 being close to that valuation (300K +) now however.

As far as being a stretch to meet pricing for Detective or Action.....I'm talking about the prices for those now compared to the pricing for the same BB28 15 years from now.

If it's a 300K comic now 15 years from now you'll have a trilogy of Superman movies as well as the Batman reboot with the potential for a similar JLA trilogy and stand alone movies including Flash, WW, possibly Aquaman and hopefully some better Green Lantern flicks. It's not inconceivable that BB28 9.4 hits 1 mil mark given that degree of time and exposure is it?

What you won't see is an equivalence of price at the same time between those three aforementioned comics.....but to say that it can't get into that upper echelon price tier when it might be a half million dollar comic circa 2020 may be incorrect. Of course it's all speculation and just based upon what we believe can potentially happen. Your guess is honestly as good if not better than mine.

If you are hoping for a decent JLA movie then you better pray they hire a different writer than the one credited at this point. Will Beal's Gangster Squad -script was one of the worst I've seen on a bigger budget picture in a long time, even more annoying as the source material was actually quite interesting.

Showcase 4 is bumping up, along with JLA 1. Ath this point, even gossip leaking possible team members of a movie will feed the frenzy. According to the registry, and unlike Marvel SA books, the DC SA's are tougher to find in above average grade for the key books that will be directly affected. It will be interesting to see if this actually hinders a steady price growth over time, by preventing the number of entry points for new buyers, while conversely causing huge price spikes, and ultimately a market crash by eliminating new buyers too quickly and creating apathy. (See Showcase 22) But then again, what do I know, I buy comics because I love them.

Showcase 22 really isn't a soft book at all bro. There was an 8.5 that doubleupgraded to 9.2 and hit the market in a frenzy. was the first 9.2, but arguably looked no nicer than 9.0 and so there was a cascading affect to the book at all upper (and mid-) grades. things have settled a bit now and while prices are lower than all-time-highs, they're still much higher than they were prior to the 9.2 event.

Some people assert the price falling was attributable to the Green Lantern movie being.....shall we say...... less than Academy Award material, but this isn't the case (can be confirmed by looking at timing).

Just wanted to offer my two cents - no change required (thumbs u

Showcase 4 has had a higher price increase recently when compared to bb28. Heck 5.0s seem to be avg 8k+. A year ago it was 5k ish. Bb28 is strong right now but still lags behind sc4

Same effect (most sales being private) - if you ask me.

i actually was really looking at the last 3 public sales (eBay, cc, heritage) supporting the private numbers (thumbs u

Showcase 22 really isn't a soft book at all bro. There was an 8.5 that doubleupgraded to 9.2 and hit the market in a frenzy. was the first 9.2, but arguably looked no nicer than 9.0 and so there was a cascading affect to the book at all upper (and mid-) grades. things have settled a bit now and while prices are lower than all-time-highs, they're still much higher than they were prior to the 9.2 event.

Some people assert the price falling was attributable to the Green Lantern movie being.....shall we say...... less than Academy Award material, but this isn't the case (can be confirmed by looking at timing).

Just wanted to offer my two cents - no change required (thumbs u

I see your point. The 9.2 disrupted the tiers. Also, I feel that the movies are affecting price not based on their critical acclaim, or lack there-of, but the character's increased exposure.

i actually was really looking at the last 3 public sales (eBay, cc, heritage) supporting the private numbers (thumbs u

I agree -

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323836504578549641408007794.html?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

Man of Steel' May Give DC Comics More Superpowers:

A blockbuster opening for "Man of Steel" this past weekend paves the way for Time Warner Inc.'s TWX -0.76%Warner Bros. to rev up its efforts to challenge Walt Disney Co.'s DIS -0.78%Marvel Entertainment in the superhero movie game.

Warner Bros.' costly Superman reboot opened to an estimated $125.1 million, including $12 million from Thursday evening shows, in the U.S. and Canada, the second-biggest debut of the year behind Marvel's "Iron Man 3."

Combined with $74.1 million from 24 overseas markets—most foreign countries will get "Man of Steel" in the coming weeks—"Man of Steel" had a strong enough start to leave studio executives already thinking about what more they can do with characters from their DC Comics unit.

"It's more than just a franchise for us, it really opens up the door to do combinations of the DC Comics characters," said Dan Fellman, Warner's president of domestic distribution. "We can build them up like Marvel did and benefit from the history of DC."

Warner is already in development on a sequel to "Man of Steel" and is expected to fast track that for release as soon as 2014, said knowledgeable people close to the studio.

In addition, it has long been developing a "Justice League" team-up movie featuring characters such as the Flash and Wonder Woman that could come out as soon as 2015.

Though Warner Bros. had great success with director Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy of Batman films, it has otherwise lagged behind far behind Disney's Marvel, which releases two superhero films a year and has had a consistent record of hits since 2008.

Warner and its corporate predecessors have owned DC Comics since the late 1960s, but lately the studio has struggled to bring a number of movie adaptations to production. Its one recent superhero movie not made by Mr. Nolan, 2011's "Green Lantern," performed poorly, earning $220 million world-wide.

Reviving Superman was considered key to a turnaround for Warner and DC, as he isn't only their best-known character, but perhaps the best-known superhero in the world. "Superman Returns," in 2006, was considered a commercial and critical disappointment despite raking in $391 million world-wide, leading to the studio's decision to reboot the character rather than making a sequel to that movie.

While Mr. Nolan produced "Man of Steel," it was directed by Zack Snyder. He was considered a risky choice by many in Hollywood coming off three consecutive box office whiffs—"Watchmen," "Legend of the Guardians" and "Sucker Punch."

Despite mixed reviews, audiences embraced "Man of Steel," giving it an average grade of A-, according to market research firm CinemaScore. As a result, Mr. Fellman said he expects the movie to enjoy strong weekday business from families with older children and to hold up well against a number of coming competitors such as "World War Z," starring Brad Pitt, and "Monsters University," a prequel to Pixar's "Monsters Inc."

People close to Warner and the film's production offered slightly different estimates for its final cost, ranging between $225 million and $270 million, split between the studio and Legendary Pictures LLC. Tickets for Thursday evening shows were sold exclusively at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. WMT -0.17%

Also new in theaters this weekend was the post-apocalyptic comedy "This is the End," starring Seth Rogen, James Franco and Craig Robinson. The inexpensively made R-rated film, from Sony Corp.'s 6758.TO +0.05%Sony Pictures Entertainment, opened Wednesday and took in a solid $32.8 million through Sunday.

In addition, it has long been developing a "Justice League" team-up movie featuring characters such as the Flash and Wonder Woman that could come out as soon as 2015.

This should be listed in ebay details for BB28 and JLA1!

Edited by rfoiii

This should be listed in ebay details for BB28 and JLA1!

Not sure you're gonna find as many of them for awhile....some folks already yanked their listings as per preciptous increase in pricing. There may be no telling what the ceiling is on this....so folks may not be willing to leave $ on the table.

Then again I'm sure there'll be a few going for the gusto with big ticket #s...