• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

I just found it automatically suspicious that th 0 feedback bidder has primarily bid on LEGOs in the last 30 days. LEGOs and a $11000 comc book. Very interesting. :insane:

I didn't realize that, interesting. I realize that 0 feedback buyers need to start somewhere but I think most of us build up some small purchases first. I know I did that many moons ago when I wanted to sell a few things but first made about 10 purchases with positive feedback. Let's see if these LEGO purchases go through.

Once you get some experience on ebay, you will see that many of the zero bidders are not real, esp on large auctions.

Glad to have you aboard. (thumbs u

You are honestly telling me that you believe a large percentage ("many") of the population bidding on high value auctions are schilling or dishonest?

That is a pretty big generalization and cannot possibly be true. In the first place you have no actual way of ever proving that they are schilling or dishonest without asking the seller to contact and confirm EVERY single low or zero feedback bidder.

I don't doubt that there are some out there, but to posit that there are "many" is just not an accurate representation. If that were true, eBay's business would implode.

Guys (and gals) I understand that this is a problem. But making sweeping statements and accusatory generalizations is not a productive way of approaching and solving the problem.

You are misquoting PeeWee. He said many of the zero bidders on large transactions are not 'real' ....NOT, as you quoted, simply bidders on high value transactions. Big difference.

Edited by bomber-bob

Once you get some experience on ebay, you will see that many of the zero bidders are not real, esp on large auctions.

Glad to have you aboard. (thumbs u

You are honestly telling me that you believe a large percentage ("many") of the population bidding on high value auctions are schilling or dishonest?

That is a pretty big generalization and cannot possibly be true. In the first place you have no actual way of ever proving that they are schilling or dishonest without asking the seller to contact and confirm EVERY single low or zero feedback bidder.

I don't doubt that there are some out there, but to posit that there are "many" is just not an accurate representation. If that were true, eBay's business would implode.

Guys (and gals) I understand that this is a problem. But making sweeping statements and accusatory generalizations is not a productive way of approaching and solving the problem.

You are misquoting PeeWee. He said many of the zero bidders on large transactions are not 'real' ....NOT, as you quoted, simply bidders on high value transactions. Big difference.

The problem is not my quote. The problem is that you cannot tell the difference between a real bidder and a fake one just by looking.

I think we can agree that not all zero feedback sellers/buyers are crooks....but they do deserve a second look over because it's awfully suspicious at times.

In this particular case the stereotype was a bullseye. Other times maybe not so much. Either way caution is warranted.

I think we can agree that not all zero feedback sellers/buyers are crooks....but they do deserve a second look over because it's awfully suspicious at times.

In this particular case the stereotype was a bullseye. Other times maybe not so much. Either way caution is warranted.

(thumbs u

Edited by rfoiii

And the zero feedback bidder strikes again. Why can't they just block every zero feedback bid?

There is currently no way to block zero feedback bidders entirely on ebay. You can block bidders with a negative feedback rating, which we do, but there is no way to block zero feedback bidders.

http://answercenter.ebay.com/question/Miscellaneous/Block-Zero-Feedback/900354696

The only thing we could do to guarantee no zero feedback bidders would be to make our auctions closed to all but "approved bidders". This would require ALL bidders to contact us and get put on a white list before bidding. We are not inclined to pursue this as it seems like it would be inconveniencing the established and legitimate bidders. It would also present a problem for last minute bidders or snipers.

Despite the stigma some attach to new ebayers, we have had many successful transactions with new ebayers (zero feedback bidders) so we are not inclined to put a blanket ban on them, even if that were possible.

As was said previously in this thread "We cannot simply block or retract bids simply because the bidder has zero feedback. One of our initiatives with EBAY is to bring new bidders to the site and this would be contradictory to the larger marketplace we are trying to create. However, we do actively and responsibly police our auctions to ensure the integrity of them."

In our experience Illegitimate bidders are very rare in our auctions. We are working closely with ebay to streamline verification for new bidders and not inconvenience established bidders. It may take some time to figure out the right process for these rare circumstances but we are confident it will be worked out. In the meantime, we hope that bidders are assured in the fact that we are adamant about running safe and honest auctions. We do police our auctions and will take action based on our findings.

I might've thrown a bid in if I wasn't busy and missed the ending. I wonder if the seller of the 7.0 on Ebay is going to rethink his price which is over $2K more?

I was a little surprised that there was not 1 bid right at the end - seems rare - every auction I'm ever involved in always has big bids at the end to raise the price I pay :insane:

Missed the bids by a few minutes unfortunately. Shucks. It was truly a steal and I coulda nabbed it on the cheap!

Maybe folks were a bit sketched out by the Sparkle City zero feedbackers hiding in the shadows.

I almost went for it . I thought $12k was a good price for it. I wasn't willing to spend $13k so I thought it would end a little north of there. I just can't buy books with staples seen on the front cover. Thats my weakness for buying books regardless of the price or CGC grade.